Small World Cursed Expansion Board Game (2nd Printing)
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- This is an expansion to Small World
- Adds depth and complexity to the base game
- 2 New Race banners and tokens (Kobolds & Goblins)
- 5 new Special Power badges (Cursed, Hordes of, Marauding, Ransacking & Were-)
- 1 spare Race Banner, 1 spare Special Power badge and 1 spare Lost Tribe token
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
In fact the first thing you will notice is that there is not a lot in the box, only 2 new races Kobolds and Goblins with race tokens and 5 racial abilities Cursed, Hordes, Marauding, Ransacking, and Were-
Even so all the new cards are well thought out and the Kobolds come out very well. They are the most numerous race of all but are afraid of everything so they can never be alone and must always occupy an area with at least 2 tokens. The Goblins are also a nice addition and are very dangerous to races in decline. Both pieces well thought out and balanced.
But it is with the racial abilities that this addition shines;
Hordes is the least special, it gives you 2 extra race counters while active but o.k.
Ransacking is clever as it gives you extra points but rather than getting them from the pool you steal them from your enemies so quite a twist
Were- is rather special as it gives you a great combat advantage on even turns but nothing on odd turns. In addition it makes this race potentially dangerous and means other players will target you. But it works out o.k.
Cursed is a favorite - it is very bad and has no positive benefits but costs more to overstep than other cards so it might be valuable once other players have avoided it. A very clever card and kudos to its designer
Marauding is IMHO a little too powerful and might possibly upset the game balance. I would not have given it a 5 token value but something less. Never the less it adds to the value of the overall game.
Despite the low value for money this addition gives I think it adds a lot to the game and is a superior addition than the Dames of Small World. Recommended.
But please take note that the correct price for this expansion is around $10, not the $35 some sellers are trying to gouge you for.
Cursed and Grand Dames both had a temporary shortage between printings which caused some sellers to be unscrupulous. The next printing should be available in early July 2010 so please wait and buy it for a reasonable price.
Cursed! is a mini-expansion for Small World, introducing two new races and five new special powers. The focus is mostly on offense, with some very unique ideas and trade-offs.
1) Goblins - costs one less Goblin to conquer a region in decline (minimum 1). The base unit number of 6 makes this well balanced, as it can still be useful to take even if the timing for the power isn't optimal.
2) Kobolds - you may never conquer nor occupy a region with less than two Kobolds (when in decline leave one token as normal). The thing here is that the base unit number is a massive 11. A fun race good for attacking opponents pesky stockpiled armies.
The special powers:
1) Cursed - you must pay three victory coins to skip a cursed race during selection (instead of the normal one). With a base unit number of 0, this provides an interesting twist as points pile pretty quickly and will tempt someone to make do with the lack of other bonuses in exchange for the extra points.
2) Hordes of - essentially two extra armies while the corresponding race is active (the extra tokens disappear upon decline), on top of a base of 5. Very solid.
3) Ransacking - when you conquer an active region, that opponent gives you one victory coin (unless he is out). Decent.
4) "Were-" - conquering takes two less tokens (minimum one) during the "night" (even numbered game turns). Neat idea that isn't a necessary grab but can swing the game in key situations.Read more ›
Grand Dames adds three new races and two new abilities. The abilities are nothing special, but two of the three races can make the game more interesting. The White Ladies advantage is that once in decline, they can never be attacked. Unforetunately, Days of Wonder overrated the benefits of this ability and does not give you enough White Lady tokens. The result is that you are unlikely to control more than three or four territories at the time the Ladies go into decline, so they won't get you as many victory coins as more numerous races would. When the Priestesses go into decline, they stack one token per territory held into a single territory, and they earn one victory coin per round for each token until the territory is defeated by an enemy. In a 2-player game, your opponent will always mass forces to defeat you, so the Priestesses aren't particularly useful, but in a four or five player game they can add a real dilemma because the Priestess player will likely win if not defeated, however, any other player who masses the forces to defeat the Priestesses is probably giving up so many victory coins that turn that they are significantly reducing their own chances of victory. The Gypsies have a strong incentive to abandon all of their territories each turn and start over. This adds an interesting twist because other players never know where they will come back onto the board.
Cursed! adds two races and five abilities.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great expansion to the game. The koblods are an in between love for their numbers but having to put 2 down in order to conquer land sucks sometimes.Published 26 days ago by Nicole Grzes
its a fun expansion but not necessary to own but if u want to add extra kick to the game it will add great to the original gamePublished 2 months ago by Angel is great
Got this as a gift for a friend who loves Small World. He says the new races and powers are very fun to play and at this price, worth picking up if you are a fan.Published 3 months ago by Matthew Morey
It's always great adding to Small World and for the price it wasn't too bad. Just wish they had a set with all expansions combined, that way I don't need to keep buying little... Read morePublished 3 months ago by Justin Bailey
This is an interesting expansion not because of the races but because of the special powers.
Cursed gives nothing and cost three coins to skip, building an interesting... Read more
If you're a fan of the original Small World, I would recommend getting this add on. I purchased it when it was on sale for around $8, which for what you physically get, seems a... Read morePublished 7 months ago by Caleh100