Industrial Deals Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by morrisey STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Smallville: Season 1
Format: DVD|Change

on November 24, 2016
All I can say is wow!!. This show is epic!! No other Superman show or movie can compare to the greatness of Smallville. Infact no other superhero show can compare either. Tom Welling puts such feeling and emotion into Clark Kent, really bringing him to life. Smallville has people from the other Superman movies starring in here or guests appearances in the show as well. Of course DC comics was involved giving insight. It's pretty epic and well thought out. Of course there are very important episodes explaining his past and who he is, as well as Clark experiencing life and life choices in other episodes. Alot of tie in's explaining how and why things came to be when he will one day be superman. I started renting Smallville via Netflix DVD via the mail. I was halfway through season 2. It was just taking too long for the turnaround time from Netflix. I couldn't wait any longer. I went and bought all 10 seasons on Amazon HD video at $29.99 each. I couldn't be any more happy. Best money I ever spent. I still continue to watch. Thank you Tom Welling, cast, and crew for bringing us Smallville. This show holds a special place in my heart. Highly recommend, you won't be disappointed guaranteed.
2 helpful votes
on September 26, 2017
I have been a bit nostalgic lately, so I've decided to give this another viewing. Season 1 of Smallville started out with a very strong pilot episode. While some of the FX look a little dated now, they actually hold up pretty well overall. They were definitely finding their footing in season 1 - the freak of the week was in full effect. I honestly never had a problem with that - the meteor rock creating different villains was a good way to start out. The show did an excellent job of introducing Clark and Lex. The one thing Smallville always seemed to have is great season finales, Tempest is no exception to that. Overall, this was a great start to the series.
on March 20, 2016
My son asked for Smallville season 1 for his birthday so I looked around and found a copy for him. The reason that I am giving it a 4 star instead of a 5 is that it stated that it was new in the box but the box was damaged and I could tell that this wasn't a new copy. None of the DVD's were damaged and being that it is for an 11 year old boy I figured it wasn't bad for the price I paid. He is a big super hero fan. I think that every super hero fan (especially Superman fans) would be really interested in seeing how Superman started out back in his high school days. It's a really great show that catches you from the first episode.
on July 6, 2016
Summary: Smallville Season 1 is fun, not too self-serious and well worth watching if you're a fan of Superman. The plots do get a bit repetitive (it's essentially a procedural with a "freak of the week" template), but on the whole this is a great freshman outing that started the WB/CW superhero genre.

I'm not going to lie, I was pretty excited when Smallville first came out. This was long before the revival of everything comics and the proliferation of comic book content on TV and in theaters. It was a novel thing to do and a welcome surprise in the TV landscape. And the pilot didn't disappoint. The meteor shower is impressive television. And the setup of the characters is compelling enough to make you want to stick with them. Clark's struggle with learning how different he really is during a time when any kid is struggling with how he fits in is actually quite well portrayed. The supporting cast does a fine job of rounding things out and giving Clark interesting characters to learn from/play off of. His bittersweet connection to Lana Lang adds an interesting layer to their relationship—although it can also get overplayed down the line. The most intriguing choice to me was to create a friendship between Clark Kent and a young Lex Luthor. The tension of their relationship lays some interesting groundwork for the development of their characters.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't call out that the soundtrack is generally excellent.

All in all, Smallville's first season is a good introduction to a series about Clark Kent before he became Superman. I'd recommend giving it a viewing.
on January 29, 2017
I missed Smallville when it first came out, so now playing catch up with the sci-fi shows I missed. So glad I made time for this one! I was afraid that it would be shallow and predictable, but was determined to at least make it through the pilot...and was delightfully surprised. Smallville is a captivating story of the development of a superhero and very entertaining in a "coming-of-age" sort of way as well with a great cast and storyline and an ever-broadening horizon. We can all relate to being awkward teenagers at one time...just glad I only had my problems and not Clark's!
2 helpful votes
on April 19, 2016
I forgot how much I love this show! I've been buying it as I watch and I'm so glad I am. I have all of these on DVD, but having a digital copy is so much easier since now I can play my favorite show on all of my devices (not just our main living room with the only Blu Ray Player in the house, lol). If you haven't watched the show...it's amazing. Probably one of the best shows in my opinion. It's family friendly, but has the right amount of adult content that both kids and adults can enjoy the show. :)
on June 22, 2016
As a big fan of the Superman movies and cartoons, I was very excited when the television show, "Smallville" first aired. For those who don't know a lot about the television series, it gives you a look into Clark Kent's life as a teenager in the town of Smallville. This precedes any "Superman" timelines, so it's more about Clark Kent slowly discovering his capabilities all while trying to maintain a normal life as an everyday teenager. This obviously doesn't go very smoothly and leads to some interesting situations. The villains are typically always people that were 'infected' by the kryptonite that landed in the area when Clark's spacecraft crashed years earlier. The earlier seasons are fantastic, the show starts to lose energy in the later seasons and the plots get a little confusing. If you want to know anymore about the show then you should definitely purchase this DVD set and start watching right away. I highly recommend this purchase.
on March 21, 2015
I didn't watch this show when it first aired, because I wasn't interested in seeing stories about Superboy from the old comics. Fortunately, that's not what this series is. Instead, it is a well crafted retelling of Clark Kent's early days on the farm with his human parents Martha and Jonathan Kent. Clark is played competently by Tom Welling as a young man who must come to grips with how different he is from the people around him. Of course, any show about Smallville also has to include Lana Lang. In this case, she is played fairly dismally by Kristin Kreuk. I'd call her performance understated, but that would credit it with too much energy. It's especially poignant when she's on the screen with Annette O'Toole, who was brilliant as Lana Lang in the movies. Now, O'Toole is excellent in the role of Martha Kent. John Schneider is also very strong as Clark's protective father, Jonathan Kent. Sadly, that's a role that comes with an early expiration date, but I'm enjoying his performances while they last.

Next, we have Clark's friends, Chloe Sullivan and Pete Ross. Wait, who? Well, I suppose it's OK for the show's developers to add some additional characters of their own. And the choice is validated by the performance of Allison Mack, who is wonderful in the role of Chloe. I'm looking forward to seeing much more of her as I view the remaining seasons. Sam Jones III is not given as much to do in the role of Pete, but he does it well enough.

But none of this touches on the crowning triumph of this series, the one element that allows the show to soar far beyond Kristin Kreuk's ability to drag it down. That is the decision to put Lex Luthor in Smallville. In this show, Lex is a young man, just a few years older than Clark, who is struggling to find his way in the world and to emerge from the shadow of his domineering corporatist father. Michael Rosenbaum is magnificent in the role. He and the show's writers have given us a Lex who is a sympathetic character, one who we believe genuinely wants to do good. He and Clark are friends. There are secrets between them, but they mainly come from Clark trying to keep hidden his gradually emerging superpowers. It is a truly inspired storytelling choice to make Lex Luthor a heroic character, especially because the audience knows full well that this same individual will eventually become Superman's number one arch-enemy.

The fact that everybody knows the Superman story so well gives the creators of Smallville lots of opportunities for dramatic irony. Making Lex Luthor a sympathetic tragic hero is one example of the serious use of the technique. They also use it for laughs, as in the following exchange between Clark and Lana:

Clark: I don't see myself being a farmer when I grow up.
Lana: What do you want to do?
Clark: I'm not sure. Just as long as it doesn't involve putting on a suit and doing a lot of flying.

All in all, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the first season of Smallville and I'm looking forward to seeing the remaining seasons. I can only hope that they eventually find a way to put some spark into the character of Lana Lang. Or, if not, then I'll just have to await the arrival of Lois Lane.
on January 13, 2013
This is one of my top ten favorite television series. For me, there are far more highs than lows. How much you'll enjoy it depends on the way in which you enjoy Superman as a character. If you see him as two-dimensional, campy and strictly comic-book silliness, you'll probably not enjoy the series. However, if you see Superman as more of a mythic hero in the classic sense, then this is a very well done coming of age story. If you know nothing about Superman and enjoy a story with strong character development, you'll probably enjoy it. If nothing else, the series features some great soundtracks and the score from the two different composers is outstanding. It's DC Comics approved.
on May 17, 2016
I love this show and could watch it for a long time but the quality of the set I recived was not so great I mean why would anyone want the discs to fall out everytime you open it
review image