Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 344 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 378 reviews
on November 1, 2008
With my Kill-A-Watt, I discovered that my computer speakers use 15W even when they're not being used. I now have my monitor and speakers plugged into the Smart Strip, and have confirmed (with the Kill-A-Watt) that I'm saving some energy, and the Smart Strip will pay for itself in 7 months.

Also note that there are lots of models of Smart Strips. The "L" models are large (10); the "S" models are small (7). The "3" models are the simplest ones; the "4" models have a phone/fax/modem port; the "5" models have both a coax (tv) and phone/fax/modem port.
33 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2016
This seems like a great idea, but there's few things holding it back from a higher rating. The spacing of outlets is awkward. Only one has an additional gap which doesn't leave enough space for awkward plugs transformers for routers and streaming devices. This could be resolved if the outlets were rotated 90 degrees like the power strip I replaced. My router that is in the always on outlet has an awkward transformer and while using just one socket, blocks 4. Subsequently, I've had to plug another power strip into the auto-switched sockets to accommodate all my devices.
The auto-switching seems a little odd too. I selected my 600w receiver to be the auto switching device, as it only uses 0.2w when off. Given the power draw variation this seemed like a good candidate as would be clearly detectable that if was either on or off, and switch off the relevant devices: TV, Roku, Fire TV, Chromecast. However, I often find its not switching them off, so it makes me wonder if I'm really saving anything or if I have a possible defective product. This might be going back to Amazon.
on November 20, 2015
Ugh, I will be returning this item. I read all the review touting the sensitivity switch and was excited as I knew my computer PSU drew some power after it shuts down and assumed I could correct this with an adjustment. Well, apparently I should have read more recent reviews because the sensitivity switch NO LONGER EXISTS. I gave it a try anyway and sure enough when I power down my computer (not sleep or hibernate) the devices connected to the switched side do no turn off. Why they would take an adjustable product and make it completely nonadjustable is beyond me. Stay away from this new "upgraded" model if you want any kind of control.
on January 13, 2016
Will not work with my Denon AVR. All modern AVRS go to standby when you power them down. If you use one to control the switched outlets this power strip will not cut them off. I thought from what I read this power strip would come with a sensitivity adjustment to correct this but when I called customer support they informed me the newer models no longer have this feature. This smart strip 4941 probably works fine for something that completely powers down, but for an AVR it is completely useless.
on August 22, 2016
I bought this knowing it had a high chance of not working for my PC. Low-and-behold, the "auto-sensing" feature present on all devices purchased after July 2105 [sic] is not sensitive enough to know when my PC is off. What else is left to say? I contacted BITS Limited (appropriate name, eh? Limited is right) in the hopes they have a solution, but I will likely just return this item and find something else that hopefully works.
on November 7, 2016
Wanted this to control my Roku with my Sony XBR 43" TV set. Did a lot of trials with grounded and non grounded trouble lights and the unit worked as advertised. So a non grounded plug was not the issue. My conclusion is that the TV set must draw too much power in the remote off mode to trip the kill switch on the controlled outlets.
review image
55 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2017
I had my computer plugged into the control outlet and two monitors and speakers plugged into the switched outlets.It worked great for one day. A day later, both monitors and speakers stay powered on when the computer is powered off.

Seems the autoswitching just quit working. There is no adjustment knob as referenced in the company's instructions and troubleshooting guide.

Also, the outlets (except for one) are all tightly spaced. A bigger plug will block the outlets on either side, making those outlets useless.

Update: I actually bought two of these at the same time -one for my spouse and one for me. The second one worked for only 5 months. Now, none of the devices in the green plugs (monitor, speakers) will power on when the control device (computer) is powered on.

What a waste of time and money.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2016
These strips are a great idea! I bought two--this small one for my office, and a larger one for the living room. I turn off the computer in the office, and the monitors shut off automatically. The one in the living room work with the TV. All of the peripherals (except the satellite receiver) turn off when I turn off the TV. And it makes me feel better to think I'm saving a little bit on electricity. I don't know how much yet, but I'm hopeful that it makes at least a little difference.
on January 10, 2017
I was looking for a solution to power an LED light strip mounted behind our TV when we turn on the TV and AV Receiver, and then turn the light strip off when the TV/AVR are powered off.

Before: An older AVR had a switched outlet that I plugged the lights into. When the AVR was turned on or off, the lights would follow suit.

Now: Upgraded the AVR (for 4k), but the AVR no longer has a switched outlet.

This smart strip is exactly what I was looking for. I plugged the AVR into the blue "Control" outlet and the light strip into the green "automatically switched" outlets. I turn on the AVR, the lights instantly come on. When I turn off the AVR, within 10 seconds (the time it takes the AVR to fully power down to the threshold required by the Smart Strip), the lights turn off. Problem solved!

I did try to use the TV as the Control, but it doesn't drop it's power to the required threshold.

Great product to solve a specific scenario.
on November 11, 2013
I actually designed and built one of these complete with threshold setting, and it has been working flawlessly for about 15 years. When I needed an additional one, I was thrilled to see one on the market. I selected this particular unit since it also includes a threshold setting and can be “tuned” to the master equipment. Unfortunately I found the Smart Strip to be flawed. Following the instructions that came with it to set the threshold value, it still seemed to require a new setting every day. In some cases, I would come home to find the controlled equipment switched on even though the master device was not touched. One time I printed a document from a printer that is plugged into a completely different wall outlet, and the controlled equipment turned on! This thing is NOT reliable and I would never trust mounting it in the back of a rack or some other limited access location, and I certainly would not trust leaving it unattended for long periods of time.