Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on August 7, 2016
I already love Brooke's style, so I bought 2 of her books, one for me and one for a friend. I don't have a lot of weight to lose, only 20#, but it's the same 20#, and I am tired of the whole "diet" thing. Brooke does weight loss in a way that isn't about combining certain foods, or counting points, or giving up your favorite foods. She gets to the root of why we overeat in the first place with a series of easy to accomplish work-sheets. Then with an easy model to follow while you are doing the rest of your life, you learn to be friends with your body and your food and give up the struggle. To be honest, I am just getting started with it all, but I like the way she works, and I trust this is the last time I will lose this 20#.
13 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on August 25, 2017
Brilliant. I ordered this book after seeing Brooke's video on her weight loss coaching. The video is an infomercial but tells me enough to know she's spot on with her program. It's definitely worth a read but not as up to date as her online material. Check her out online.
10 people found this helpful
on May 20, 2015
I recommend this book to every woman who has or is struggling with weight and/or emotional eating. Weight is only a symptom of a deeper issue. Losing the weight without doing the internal work with only land you back where you started eventually. If you don't treat the "infection", the disease, the symptoms (the weight) will return.
11 people found this helpful
on October 23, 2015
This book will transform how you view your body and your weight, by encouraging you to get to know you thoughts and your feelings. As a weight loss coach, this book and Brooke's podcast have transformed my practice, not only allowing me to get to know myself better, but bringing this content to my clients so that they can do the same. Good. Stuff.
7 people found this helpful
on September 2, 2014
If you are serious about getting rid of those pounds-READ THIS BOOK!!!! This is the best book I have ever read on the whys and hows of excess weight. I read it-used it, and have already lost 40 pounds-plus I feel like a new person! Thank you Brooke for this book!
8 people found this helpful
on November 15, 2011
This is a great book that can change your thinking. It clearly shows you that you can easily be satisfied with much less food. It nicely describes various stages of fullness or hunger using a scale ranging from -10 to +10. Also it clearly reminded me that our stomachs are quite small and don't allow space for that much food at one time. Another important factor covered nicely is the psychological and emotional factors that cause us to over eat. Everything is nicely explained in a simple and sometimes humorous way.

Since getting the book a little more than a week ago I've already lost 3 pounds. That's quite an accomplishment so far because all other so called weight loss books that I've read over the past 10-15 years did almost nothing to help. Another great thing is that the author has a sense of humor making this an entertaining and fun book to read. Each chapter provides you with numerous tools and tips to help you lose weight more effectively.

I only have 2 minor objections. Some of the exercises provided actually do little to help in my opinion. For example listing excuse strategies is unnecessary. Anyone trying to lose weight knows that excuses have hindered their progress. Just being aware of the excuses is sufficient for me. Also the author is a weight loss coach and constantly refers to those she helps as "clients". To me this word "client" is not appropriate for us "overweight" people. Perhaps it would be more appropriate for those involved in a lawsuit. Nevertheless, the author does a terrific job of explaining how to lose weight.

Overall this book is very well written and can definitely help with the weight loss battle. I think everyone is different, however, which means that some parts of the book can be ignored while other parts should be taken very seriously. I definitely recommend this book to all who, like me, have tried and tried but can't lose much weight. This is definitely the best book I've read about weight loss because it's unique, truthful and effective.
12 people found this helpful
on August 8, 2015
Wise woman, great tools. Very helpful work from the inside out. I would, however, suggest to the author to get the second edition done through a serious publisher. This book is full of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. Please invest in a proofreader.
11 people found this helpful
on September 10, 2017
Her style is super helpful for us Life Coaches that are looking to assist clients that are interested in answers. I recommend her book if you are looking to lose weight yourself or interested in coaching clients to this realization. Love it!
One person found this helpful
on January 18, 2010
I originally borrowed this book from interlibrary loan, planning to just read it and return. However, now I am buying the book, because I got so much out of reading it. Brooke has a personable, warm style that is a little quirky for an author, but the book reads comfortably. Her purpose is in guiding the reader, presumably someone who wants to lose weight, through the thinking and feeling concepts and exercises that seem to be the core of her weight loss coaching practice. She has some excellent insights to share! I thought so highly of myself that I didn't expect to learn much, but I was wrong and humbled. I have lost 50 pounds this past year and I thought I knew how to lose weight (and I do), but her approach is in helping you get to the essence of yourself, your values, what you really want, your goodness, your vitality, and learn better how to respect and appreciate and honor yourself, in your body, but also in your mind and heart. Weight loss, she posits, is a natural response to this different, better way of thinking and behaving. I have been successful losing weight counting calories and exercising, but I've been concerned for quite a while trying to think of how I'm going to maintain my weight loss without counting calories. Now I know! Her exercises are real; they are not hypothetical or fantastical. She really does have a solution to overweight that is more about solving the source of the problem rather than treating the symptoms (overfat). I don't consider myself to have a self-esteem problem; the book is still valuable. Brooke coaches you on how to get what you really want. In this way, the book is transformative. I truly looked at myself and my life differently and much more positively after and because of reading this book. That is a blessing. It has given me hope and confidence in other areas of my life where I am struggling a bit. Kind of magically, this other area has suddenly become much easier and not nearly as much of a burden. I think because I am thinking and interpreting differently, on account of what I learned in this book. Lastly, in the book, Brooke shares some personal details about herself and her life and perhaps even some things that she might not normally share (e.g. some not-so-flattering personal stuff), that she is easy to appreciate as a person and accept direction from. She is humbly sharing her gift. So, I recommend the book.
7 people found this helpful
on October 13, 2013
I enjoy Ms. Castillo's "no excuses" approach. She challenges you to be both honest with yourself and to redefine the way you look at carrying extra weight and why. Personally, I would recommend reading the entire book and then returning to read it more slowly and doing the exercises thoroughly. Even when you think the exercise is not worthwhile, after you have completed it and honestly reflected upon it, you will see the value. Enjoy!
6 people found this helpful