Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 112 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 139 reviews
on May 29, 2015
I love this movie. I work in an addiction treatment program and use it frequently in groups. It really has an affect on the clients. The acting is great and it does a wonderful job of showing the early recovery process and some of the bumps in the road. Makes for great discussion in treatment groups! I've probably seen this movie 20 times in the last year and I fall in love with it every time!
on June 20, 2017
The premise actually seems a bit generic and played out (a drunk person that struggles toward sobriety), but wow it's still incredibly compelling. Mary Elizabeth Winstead knocks it out of the park. Aaron Paul is also outstanding. It's a very naturalistic script and it's got a delicate comedy to it. Never veers into the rimshot-timing of a sitcom. The director, James Ponsoldt, shows great sensitivity in capturing these people's lives. What I think it most truthfully conveys is the price you pay for sobriety. There is a deficit in happiness, you have to give up people you care about, you have to turn your life upside down. It's hard to stick the landing in movies but Smashed, I think, accomplishes that. Paul poses a question to Winstead, nothing momentous or operatic, just: "Would you like to play another game?" The pause before Winstead's answer illuminates the most tragic thing about addiction: the ever-looming possibility of relapse. Falling back into the cycle just when you thought you've gotten out. We know that giving even that small amount of ground foreswears a ruinous relapse. All giant swings of fortune are often put into motion by the tiniest concessions.
on March 23, 2016
Bottom Line: This is a GREAT MOVIE. I had been to the Movie Theatre & saw the new movie "10 Cloverfield Lane," and I fell in love with Mary Elizabeth Winstead as an actress... Yes ill admit I have a BIG CRUSH on her (LOL). So, I Googled other movies she is in, and 'SMASHED' came up. I went to Amazon and rented it ASAP, and Ill rent other movies she is in since i say she is a "GREAT ACTRESS and very EZ on the EYES!!" It is a great movie with great actors / actresses... Aaron Paul for Breaking Bad (enough said!!), and Nick Offerman -- the guy from Parks and Rec,, and Meagan Mullally, also a great actress! Yes, its got it all -- great actors, great plot, heart breaking plot line, real life stories and scenarios, and more. While it does have an "Alfred Hitchcock" type endng (for you young folks that's an ending named after the great film maker who always left you hanging at the end!!) In other words, you don't know if they are going to get back together or stay separated. Maybe they set it ip for SMASHED 2 ?!? I sure hope so, as I would watch it on the first day out. It talks about a topic that affects many people (Alcoholism) and a group (A.A.) that helps many of them. This movie shows how our problems and challenges afect others and changes everything we deal with each day... work, life, family, spouse, etc. Watch this movie ASAP... you will NOT be disappointed.
(P.S. Back to Mary. E. Winstead... I'll also watch every other movie this great looking and great acting lady is in, too.)
on February 16, 2016
I am a teacher and this movie rang so true. I am also a drinker and could make the connection between what the young woman felt as she stood up to the truth. She lost everything yet, she was true to herself. I shared this movie (keeping things proper for the students) and verbally on just how important telling the truth is and how alcohol kills. Think about it...to be intoxicated is to be be drunk. Toxins are poison, so basically, every time you are drunk, you are filled with poison. I loved this move and gave it 5 stars. It is slow in some areas, but a beautiful movie nonetheless if you stick it out.
on February 2, 2016
Brilliantly understated, beautifully written, wonderfully acted, searingly insightful film-- hopeful in the relative youth of the protagonists and their growing awareness of their drinking problems. Alternately funny and poignant and finally profound and emotionally complex, a true gem of a film.
on March 18, 2013
I really loved this movie! I think it was a true depiction of the downward spiral of alcohol and getting sober!
on April 27, 2017
This is a great movie to use in conduction with a IOP, OP, or Relapse Prevention group.
on May 12, 2016
Candid and wonderfully directed. This movie is extremely eye opening. My only complaint is the ending. Charlie (Aaron Paul) is portrayed as well meaning but sort of ignorant to Kate's (Mary E Winstead) plight. It's not really a knock on the movie as much as a personal opinion but I really wished they could have worked things out! However, it probably wouldn't be a realistic ending. All in all great film.
on May 6, 2017
Just very sorry I followed all the reviews and went ahead and purchased it. If only I had not seen the review. The movie is just stupid.
on May 17, 2017
No problems, smooth transaction!