- Series: Smashing Magazine Book Series (Book 1)
- Paperback: 322 pages
- Publisher: John Wiley and Sons; 1st edition (February 8, 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0470684151
- ISBN-13: 978-0470684153
- Product Dimensions: 7.4 x 0.7 x 9.3 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.4 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 40 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,690,317 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Smashing WordPress: Beyond the Blog (Smashing Magazine Book Series) 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
'...chock-full of useful advice.' (.net, August 2010). '...an indispensible partner.' (Linux User & Developer, July 2010).
From the Back Cover
Go Beyond the Blog
Smashing WordPress shows you how to utilize the power of the WordPress platform, and provides a creative spark to help you build WordPress-powered sites that go beyond the obvious. You will learn the core concepts used to build just about anything in WordPress, resulting in fast deployments and greater design flexibility.
Inside, WordPress expert Thord Daniel Hedengren takes you beyond the blog and shows you how WordPress can serve as a CMS, a photo gallery, an e-commerce site, and more.
You will learn:
- The anatomy of a WP install and how WordPress actually works
- How to build beautiful WordPress themes – including child themes
- How to create custom login forms and admin themes
- How to use the loop to control content, and even use alternatives to the loop
- How to integrate theme options
- How to build plugins – including widget functionality
- How to build your WordPress projects for SEO
- Integrate WordPress with the social web
- How to create amazing navigation
- How to use conditional control elements
Smashing Magazine (smashingmagazine.com) is one of the world’s most popular web design sites. True to the Smashing mission, the Smashing Magazine book series delivers useful and innovating information to web designers and developers.
Top customer reviews
This book was an amazing for me because of where I am at in my wordpress development. Before reading this book I knew how to install wordpress, set up permalinks, work with .htaccess files, create posts, add plugins, and even do some minor tweaking. I did not however understand the core code concepts of wordpress that make it work, thus I could not advance beyond an "advanced beginner." When I would go to read advanced wordpress books they were all written in techie speak and I always ended up feeling lost.
Enter Smashing Wordpress:
From the moment I started reading this book it was right at the level I needed. I had finished my knowledge of the beginner to mid level stages of wordpress and Smashing Wordpress took me to a solid level of advanced wordpress techniques and theme/plugin building. It is written in PLAIN ENGLISH and not techie speak like most advanced technology books (please remember you must have a solid beginner level understanding or this book will seem complicated).
If your looking to start understanding all that code that makes themes and plugins work and you have a solid understanding of the basics of wordpress this book is for you.
From the very first chapter this book I stated to absorb the wordpress code concepts and advanced techniques I was craving to learn. I am half way through this book and I am quickly becoming the advanced wordpress theme creator that I have been wanting to be. (This book will also give you a solid ability to modify even the most advanced themes)
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO WORDPRESS USERS READY TO UNDERSTAND AND BUILD OR MODIFY WORDPRESS THEME AND PLUGINS.
I would not recommend this book to the absolute beginner unless you really like jumping headfirst into the very deep end. You really need to have at least a moderate understanding of html css and php to get through this book. The author is able able to cover as much as he does in large part by assuming you can keep up.
The biggest problem with this book and the only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is the layout. I have heard this complaint regarding other books from smashing magazine and unfortunately it is very true. The guys at smashing mag are brilliant web designers but would do well to hire some equally brilliant print designers to layout their books. The biggest problem is the inner margins of the book. They have been designed as though this book were to be read on a vertical blog with identical margins on both pages instead of reflected margins resulting in having to force the book open to read the left page. Sorry to go on about this but it really is a big problem and I hope they will fix this in future versions (or at least in future publications).
1. Spectacular content not found in any other single book
2. Covers up and coming wordpress features such as child themes
3. Tutorials for designing functioning job boards, faq knowledge bases, e-commerce sites, portfolio sites and more
4. 2 chapters on functions.php and plugin development
5. Too many great things content wise to list!
1. Not recommended for the beginner
2. Layout of the book is quite poor and makes reading difficult
If you are serious about creating your own wordpress themes and have experience with css html and php then this is absolutely the book you want.
There are just too many gaps in this book for me to recommend. Maybe in the 3rd edition the author will budget a good editor.
Most recent customer reviews
Yet is the most powerful web platform out there.Read more
(a) you don't know anything about PHP.
(b) you don't know anything about CSS.Read more