Manga Studio 5
- Add power and flexibility to your design process. Specifically designed for professionals, Manga Studio combines a multitude of cutting-edge features that makes it the most powerful manga and comic drawing tool in the market.
- Save valuable time and effort. Speed up your workflow! With Manga Studio’s powerful feature set and intuitive, standard interface, you will quickly create and enhance your comic projects faster than if created by hand.
- Create professional level art from start to finish. Designed specifically for illustrating manga and comic art, Manga Studio’s specialized features provide a complete solution for creating standard black and white manga and comics.
- Draw naturally with a Tablet - Sketch, scan or import your inked artwork directly. Create original sketches using your mouse or draw naturally with a Pen Tablet.
- Screen tones & Patterns - Screen tones add dimension, depth and character to your artwork. Choose from tones of screen tones in Manga Studio.
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Manga Studio, The #1 Comic & Manga Software Worldwide, is the most efficient and advanced all-in-one solution for drawing, laying out, illustrating and publishing manga and comics.
From the Manufacturer
The #1 comic and manga software worldwide
Manga Studio 5 is your all-in-one solution for stunning, ready-to-publish manga and comics. Quickly and easily create manga and comics with Manga Studio’s drawing tools, filters and special effects. Get started immediately with the intuitive user interface. Draw naturally with a Pen Tablet and Invigorate your artwork using the integrated color features. Express motion and moods with speed lines and focus lines while adding dialog with built-in word balloons. Choose from tons of screen tones and add dimension to your drawings. Manga Studio helps you create professional manga and comics from start to finish!
SPEED UP YOUR WORKFLOW
Amazing New Effects and Tools - Amazing updates to Manga Studio make it comparable to other popular graphic applications such as Photoshop and Painter. Manga Studio 5 provides several advancements over Manga Studio 4 to help you create a much more professional and polished look.
FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE NEW USER INTERFACE
Set up a Personal Work Flow - Manga Studio 5 was written with artists' workflow at the very top of the priority list. All of the most used tools - pens, pencils, erasers, rulers, pattern brushes and selection tools are all right at your fingertips. Customize your own brush shapes, canvas textures, paint expressions and more and then save those as your personal settings.
POWERFUL COLORING TOOLS
Color your Artwork - Manga Studio is your all in one manga and comic creation solution. Save time and money by no longer having to use other applications to professionally color your artwork.
MORE POWER AND CONTROL
3D Options - New support for 3D objects and figures allows for reference and background materials. Manipulate 3D objects directly on the screen or use preset poses. Drag and Drop other 3D objects on the canvas.
Pencil and Ink Options - Manga Studio offers more versatility and flexibility than any other application when creating manga and comics. Create original sketches using your mouse or draw naturally with a Pen Tablet. Use scans of your existing paper artwork or import images or photos for use in your manga and comic creations.
Vector Toolkit - Speed up production using the built-in vector tools. Ability to view the centerline of vectors makes spotting trouble areas in need of smoothing a breeze
SIMULATE REAL WORLD BRUSHES
Paint Brushes Created Just the Way You Like - New dedicated air brush allows you to have multiple air brush effects. Use the tone brush to create a wider array of visual effects. Easily create and share your own brush pattern as well.
REUSE YOUR ARTWORK - BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY
Import Your Manga Studio 4 Page Files - Manga Studio 5 allows you to import your Manga Studio 4 Debut and 4 EX .CPG page files.
Style: Software Only
Top Customer Reviews
If you're a student, I recommend that you go to their student discount to get around 40% off. Go to Smith Micro Campus Store, if Manga Studio 5 is not listed, just add one of the student discounts to your cart. Then go to add Manga Studio 5 to your cart and remove the thing you added previously from the cart.
The GUI has completely changed and is more intuitive that Manga Studio 4's interface.
- Sharp inking with anti-alias (if you recall, in Manga Studio 4, the inking looked too sharp)
- Stabilizing, your pen strokes are automatically smoothed out if you have shaky hands. You can increase or lower the stabilizing settings
- Pattern brush - contains common effects used in many manga
- SAI Paint Tool qualities - The smooth blurring, watercolor brush, coloring capabilties
- Materials - default panel templates, colored patterns, monochromatic patterns, default image materials, 3d models (4 anime character models, 2 girls and 2 boys, blank body types can be adjusted to change from kid to adult, slim to chubby, flat or well endowed, change perspective and modify their poses or take a default pose that's already created for you)
- Layers now have layer effects
- Panel docking
- Special rulers (Speed lines/focus lines that aren't included in this version can be done through these rulers, it's just a bit more tedious)
- Useful brush capabilities (Note: it's a bit difficult to create them the way you want them to though)
- Vector layers (Make use of the eraser vector capabilities of erase touching part, erase until intersection, overall line, so that cleaning your line art will be much easier)
- Fill (Instead of relying magic wand as you would in Photoshop, fill has equally as good capabilities with the ability to close gap)
- Easy panel creation (Slight learning curve)
Be sure to note, the text tool might not work well if you're not on English system locale. Once in a while, you might also find some minor typos on the interface as well. Such as for in the Ruler section, you may see Lenear ruler instead of Linear ruler or monochromic instead of monochromatic. Also, if you're looking to create a story file, Manga Studio 5 does not include these features. These features will most likely be added to Manga Studio 5 EX.
------Update 5.0.2 7/30/13
With the new update for Manga Studio 5, there have been bug fixes.
-The relevant interface typos have been fixed.
-You can now change the interface color from white to grey to black.
-There are a bit more preferences from changing the cursors.
-You can now make groups in the command bar.
-New selection options.
-You can now hide the title bar, similar to the function when you press tab in Photoshop.
-Your layer thumbnails can now be set even smaller.
-Some of the sliders have become 5 bars, but you can still numerically change it.
-Anti-overflow - makes it easier to color
-Backwards compatible with MangaStudio 4 page files only.
And a lot more stuff...
For MangaStudio 5 EX
-Allows use of 3rd party plugins (those plugins are available in Japanese)
--Backwards compatibility with Manga Studio 4 page and story files
I decided to give it a try. I was immediately pleased to find out that it worked with my Parblo Coast 10 artist tablet right off the bat, with no need to fiddle with settings or calibrations. The pressure sensitivity and even tilt sensitivity are spot on. The next thing I noticed was just how smooth the lines are. I've uploaded 2 pictures. The picture that shows me practicing folds was done with GIMP. you can see how choppy the lines are. in comparison to the picture drawn with Manga Studio.
The program is very intuitive. If you are familiar with Photoshop, GIMP or probably any other artwork software that utilizes brushes, pens/pencils, layers, wand and lasso tools and so forth, you will get the hang of this right away. I've only had time to do a couple of quick sketches since getting it but I really look forward to sinking my teeth in with a finished piece.
I highly recommend Manga Studio 5, even now that Photoshop is a bit more manageable as a subscription base, this program works just as well, perhaps even better as it is tailored entirely to digital art work (whereas Photoshop is also for photo-manipulation and touch up work). This program is NOT a poor man's Photoshop, it is excellent and I don't know how I ever lived without it.
Occasionally I've seen it on sale, so if you can bare to wait around and snatch it up for $25 or so then it's an amazing deal, but even at it's full price it is worth ever penny!
The brush engine is top-notch and the pressure sensitivity with a Wacom tablet is aces. Drawing and painting is lag-free and a delight (the software does have 64-bit and multi-core support). Some of the new painting modes allow for color mixing right on the canvas much in the same way that Painter would. I love the 3D pose materials - when a particular drawing doesn't feel right, bring in a 3D model, adjust the figure to the pose that you need for your drawing reference, add a new layer and draw. The software really feels like a blend between Painter and Sketchbook Pro. This is not photo editing or compositing software - you definitely won't want the software unless you digitally draw and paint.
One small word of warning though for those who have the newer Macbook Pros - the software is not Retina display ready and does look pixelated when using the display at higher resolutions. Hopefully that'll be addressed in a future update.