Truck Reviews Beauty Magazine Deals Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 19, 2014
This is the best low cost Sailor's Knife, with a marlin spike, available. Scales are stamped steel, of the same pattern as the old Camillus government issued military pocket knives. Solid tool, but not of the quality of other choices. Price is the decider here; you always have ample opportunity to break or loose a boat knife overboard. How much can you afford to loose? For the price of a best quality marlin spike folding knife, you can buy six to ten of the S&W. I love the Boye or the now sadly out of production Buck, but this is what I can afford to use in a marine environment. For the money an excellent tool. The only real alternative is to buy an affordable work knife and a separate marlin spike of fid. This knife does not include a shackle tool. Google the Boye Knives website for great, but expensive sailor's knife.
on May 11, 2015
For the price, this knife was legendary around my sailing team. That hawkbill blade made quick work bend a line. The spike was not rounded which let us pierce deeply into a knot or a tough sheath (knot, this also meant that it could damage a line if used carelessly.) Finally, the lanyard ring offered a unique ability to lock the marlin spike in place which I haven't seen among knives of this price.

Alas, we can't find this Smith and Wesson spike anywhere. It looks like they discontinued it. If it ever shows back up for the same price, I'm buying 10 for my team.
on June 24, 2011
I got this knife because my dad always had a hawkbill in his tool box and we always took in on trips to cut food on the go. I have great memories of it. His has a wooden handle.

This is a large knife because of the curved blade, so don't expect it to close and be small. Also another note, the picture makes it look close to black, but its pretty much stainless steel color. It is a simple knife, and not sleek and would say not much effort was taken into make it "look smooth", but who cares when you want a do all knife.
3 people found this helpful
on November 18, 2011
This is a good solid knife. Both the hawkbill blade and the spike lock, making it safer for its intended use aboard boats. It is stainless steel but fairly light for a knife of this nature. Fits easily into a pocket. It is not quite as comfortable to grip as a Case or Shrade with composite handles, but unless you are working with lines all day, that probably won't present a problem. I had one of these myself, and decided to buy 3 more for friends, so I guess that means I consider this particular one to be a pretty good value.
2 people found this helpful
on May 30, 2009
I have a couple of other Marlinspike bearing knives, but they are too nice to use. This one isn't. I bought two - with s/h it was just over $20. My son doesn't have to wait for my demise - I gave him the other one... then he sold his boat. My sailboat has been gone for years, too. Still, it's a useful big hawkbill blade - and a sharp pointed Marlinspike. Great for the tackle box - that spike is so pointed, you could scuttle your fishing boat with it. As a Marlinspike, especially for woven rope knots, it's too sharp - easily remedied. Again, not something you'll proudly pass on... but quite a 'user'. I hate seeing S&W's good name sullied on such an import.
on January 15, 2018
I use both the knife and the spike all the time!
I love the locking positions, shape, sharpness, and weight!
handle is thin and has SUPER sharp edges, annoys me everytime I use this, yet I have never taken the time to left the edges out with a file so it must not be too much of a problem for me .....
on June 7, 2014
Thought this knife would be a good addition to my boating gear at the shore. Think again! The thing rusted out almost immediately after being dropped to the bottom of my boat and getting a little seawater on it. It's a great looking implement though so if you want to look real "salty" carry this baby around with you. Just don't use it.
on May 26, 2011
If you're upset that Smith & Wesson makes this knife in China, then this review is not for you. If you have no problems with American companies producing material in China, then here is an honest opinion about the quality of this knife:

I've had this knife for well over two years now. I've come to loathe it.

The height of the hawkbill blade and the placement of the locking bail for the spike make it damn near impossible to use the spike. The slender build of the knife make using the hawkbill blade for any length of time a pain in the ass.

I want to like it but I really can't. It was a novel idea putting a hawkbill blade on a sea knife but quite frankly, you'd be better off getting a pruning knife. For instance: the Flexrake CLA322 Classic Pruning Knife, Folding Pocket Style. It has a thicker handle and strong lock back. Sure it lacks a spike but the one on the S&W is virtually useless.

The so called 440C stainless blade wasn't really that sharp to begin with and dull quickly. Sharpening it is not nearly as easy as a sheepfoot blade and quite frankly, considering the price and discomfort when using it, it really isn't worth sharpening. A better choice would be Colt Marlin Spike Folding Knife, 3in, Stainless Blade, Black G10 Handle MARLIN SPIKE KNIFE or just about anything else.
5 people found this helpful
on February 12, 2013
I bought this for the marlinspike feature as well as it stainless steel finish---the hooked blade has its advantages but will need to be sharpened----it comes with a slight edge--not real sharp. This item should be within every fisherman, hunter or campers tote bag!
Two of the best features of this knife is that the blade locks solid and the loop on the casing has a loop to keep the marlin spike in locked postion----a real sailors knife for sure!
on September 5, 2012
I'm not a hunter or outdoorsman and I'm not sure why I purchased this knife but I'm glad I did. This knife comes in handy for so many little cutting tasks like cutting rope and opening packages. My favorite use for it is breaking down/opening boxes. The blade is thin enough to slip easily into the seam and the hook makes it glide right through the thickest tape. It's also useful in the garden. The knife comes sharp enough for all the little tasks I mentioned and it took a great deal of abuse before I had to sharpen it. For $10 it's hard to go wrong.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.