Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 312 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 365 reviews
on February 24, 2015
what a wasted purchase this was!! unfortunately, I purchased this item based on it's reference in a "how-to" youtube video instead of doing my homework. the book might be ok IF you purchase/have the other books in the series by the authors. for instance, many recipes found in the index are listed as being in another volume altogether. the book is hard to follow an actually begins midstream... totally confusing. I might use this book for some recipes, but... luckily, i'm not one that requires photos to follow a recipe because the picture on the cover is the only one your going to get. bottom line, don't bother with this book; there are too many others available which are easier to follow without having to purchase additional books.
on August 9, 2013
This is a good book for novice grillers and smokers. I bought this because I'm just getting into the smoking game, but I'm also an experienced griller, and a pretty darn good cook. My main complaint is I just don't find most of the recipes terribly appetizing. When I say that, I mean a lot of the food is just overly fancy for my taste. I was hoping more for a book that provided basic smoking recipes, and what meat goes best with this smoke and these particular spices. I was also hoping it would give more tips about how to prepare particular meats, and how best to cook them. If you you want a huge variety of recipes or just want to good novice tips on smoking, this is a good book. Save yourself a few bucks and buy the kindle version.

I will add that there are a ton of tips in here for the newbie. It even goes as far to detail what type of smoker you should buy, by describing in detail many of the characteristics of each. This could be very useful if you want to start smoking, but don't know where you want to start. I won't say don't buy this, it is a great read and I've gotten some great ideas for it. Over all it's a good book and I'm glad a bought it, it's just not exactly what I was looking for.
on November 16, 2011
I bought this book as an impulse buy. Amazon suggested to me while I was purchasing my smoker and I took the bait. It was worth it, there are some great recipes in there. Recipes are what you should use this book for, it is not so much a smoking instruction book as it is a recipe book, though smoking tips and temperatures are giving in the recipes.

I've tried the coffee rub for the pork shoulder which was easy and fantastic. I've also tried the fancy chicken rub (pesto and goat cheese) which was pretty good too. It kept the chicken moist, but I didn't really get much of the pesto flavor. Next time I'd try it with the optional rub as well.

I've also tried two BBQ sauce recipes, the Memphis and the vinegar. I was not a fan of the Memphis sauce. The vinegar was not bad. It's not a traditional sauce, it's more of a juice. I'd like to try some of the sweet ones. The variety of flavors they have for each section (sectioned out into meat types, then sauces, then a bunch of other sections) is great. There is something for every taste, and the authors go into the history behind each recipe as well.

Now for the small gripes:

Aside from the mediocre Memphis bbq sauce, I am surprised there was nothing in the book about brining. If there is, it is buried and I can't find it. It's not in the index. It's so important to brine a lot of your meats to keep them tender and flavorful. I think there should have been a section about why to brine and some good brine mixtures. I instead learned my techniques from Alton Brown. If i'm wrong and it is in the book, I will take all of this back.

One other thing I have to question is some of the internal meat temperatures. For the Goat Cheese/Pesto rub recipe, it say to cook the chicken to 180 to 185 F. The recommended internal cooking temp for chicken is 165 (I would go about 170 or 175 to be safe). Why such a high temp? There was no reason given.

Overall this book keeps me excited to bbq. It's packed full of recipes and rubs that will keep me busy for a long time.
on March 8, 2014
I smoke bbq most weekends, and have a bunch of books and magazines to choose from. This book is my favorite. It gives real recipes that actually work for a real bbq smoker. Not a griller, but a smoker, someone that smokes meat for hours over coals and scented woods. I like this book a lot. It took me from a beginner smoker to a solid intermediate smoker. I have much more confidence, and much more creativity in the recipes, rubs, and meats I smoke. Highly recommended.
on June 21, 2012
This book is a must-have for any serious fan of barbecuing. The recipes are well written and are cross-referenced for additional sauces, side dishes, and liquid refreshments.

What impressed me the most was the way the appropriate seasoning rubs, the mops, the sauces were all included on each recipe when applicable. I have not yet looked at every recipe, but from my first glance I realized that this book was well-written, and espouses the use of low and slow temperatures for some of the best smoked and barbecued food you will ever taste.

This book will become my barbecuing reference for all time in the future. The authors know their barbecuing; the recipes speak for themselves.

This book receives 5 stars and my personal word that you will enjoy reading and barbecuing the recipes from this book.
on April 9, 2017
What a useless book, wish I would never have bought it. Tells you just about nothing on how to smoke.
on July 9, 2009
As a novice smoker, I can't see what more I'll ever need to get great results with my Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. The great value of this book is in the huge number of recipes for cooking all sorts of meats (as well as veggies) with smoke. It has all the marinades, rubs, mops, and sauces I'll ever need. There also are side-dish and dessert recipes.

True, the book lacks detailed instructions for specific kinds of smokers, but I don't need them. My Weber is easy to operate, and Weber's own instructions are sufficient, but the Jamisons' book does offer helpful tips on fuels, cooking temperatures, etc. (It consistently recommends cooking temperatures of 200-220 degrees, vs. 250 degrees that Weber recommends. Either works; slower cooking can get you even more succulent results.)

A great point of the book is that it is completely ecumenical. It doesn't favor any particular US region's barbecues but gives you recipes for Texas, North Carolina, Memphis, Kansas City, etc., style barbecues, as well as recipes from other smoking traditions, for example Asian and Jamaican. It also offers recipes and tips for all kinds of smokers - cylindrical water smokers like my Weber, traditional pit smokers, and even stove-top smokers.

The Jamisons also give us enough of the history and lore of smoking and barbecue to let us novices feel that we're joining a rich tradition. Their enthusiasm for cooking with smoke is infectious.
on June 18, 2017
Great for the beginner or pro. Lots of yummy information.
on October 12, 2013
The book starts with the types of pits, grills & smokers that are commonly used with recommendations for manufactured grills. It talks about the diffrent woods to use and what to use them on, and gets into the finer art of smoking. The book gets into Rubs, Mops and Marinades with explanations of when to use them and why. Recipes go from Hog to eggs to artichokes with a wonderful variety of dishes. This is the best smoker book I have found yet. The book is full of BBQ tips and stories about where some of the recipes came from. Good for reference or just reading about your favorite pastime. Highly Recommended!
on July 23, 2016
This is a great book for both beginners and more advanced BBQ enthusiasts, they have their own perspective of space profiles and wood flavor profiles that some one could use to change up their flavors. The nice thing they even explain cooking at faster cook times (higher temps, less smoke) I think that's great, nothing much better then deep dish apple pie from a smoker using higher heat.
review image review image