Amazon Business World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 311 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 364 reviews
on February 24, 2015
what a wasted purchase this was!! unfortunately, I purchased this item based on it's reference in a "how-to" youtube video instead of doing my homework. the book might be ok IF you purchase/have the other books in the series by the authors. for instance, many recipes found in the index are listed as being in another volume altogether. the book is hard to follow an actually begins midstream... totally confusing. I might use this book for some recipes, but... luckily, i'm not one that requires photos to follow a recipe because the picture on the cover is the only one your going to get. bottom line, don't bother with this book; there are too many others available which are easier to follow without having to purchase additional books.
on April 9, 2017
What a useless book, wish I would never have bought it. Tells you just about nothing on how to smoke.
on March 19, 2017
Great gift
on March 3, 2010
Wonderful book for someone starting out with a smoker. Lots of tips and great recipes.
Yes, it's a nice book......but I'm not excessivly thrilled about it. A book 450+ pages and only 7 rib recipes??? PLUS, I GUARANTEE I'm never going to fit a 150 pound hog in my Mastercraft 30" smoker, AND I highly doubt I'll be smoking pheasant, quail or a goat or making a smoked DUCK PIZZA. I was looking for standard recipes with a lot of variations. Not the exotic.
on July 3, 2012
I bought this book after getting my first smoker (Weber Smoky Mountain - I highly recommend) and while it gives a good run-down of how to smoke (what temps to shoot for, amount of time to smoke, types of smokers, what woods to use) the recipes are hit-or-miss. The rubs I've tried have been good (pork rib - don't recall the name, pork shoulder - Renowned Mr Brown, and beef brisket - Dandy Dan's Brisket), but not great and the sauces all tasted VERY sour. While I understand vinegar is a big component to many regional sauces it shouldn't be the biggest flavor component - the Memphis Magic sauce says it should be smoky and spicy where it tastes like spicy/hot tomato vinegar. The Vaunted Vinegar sauce tastes like cayenne and vinegar. There is no balance. Both are off the charts in two directions - sour and hot/spicy.

The only side I've made has been the Ms White Delights slaw which was too runny/not creamy. The sides are typical BBQ sides - slaw, potato salad, etc and most don't require the smoker. However, there are some that do, but I don't like to start my smoker for anything less than a few hours and the cook times for many of the smoked sides is 20 minutes to 1 hour.

I would say that the book is good for a beginner (temps, times, smoker types, and wood suggestions), but beyond that it loses it's value quickly.

For rubs, start with a basic 8+3+1+1 method (8 parts sugar, 3 parts paprika, 1 part salt and 1 part of whatever you want) and make it your own - it's much more fun that way.

For wood, typically you'll see fruit woods (cherry, apple, etc) with pork; oak and hard nut woods with beef, alder with fish (light smoke won't overpower the fish).

Temps should fall around 200 - 215 degrees for beef/pork and between 150 - 160 degrees for fish.

Cook times are about 1 1/2 - 2 hours per pound to reach the internal temp required to be safe.
on June 21, 2012
This book is a must-have for any serious fan of barbecuing. The recipes are well written and are cross-referenced for additional sauces, side dishes, and liquid refreshments.

What impressed me the most was the way the appropriate seasoning rubs, the mops, the sauces were all included on each recipe when applicable. I have not yet looked at every recipe, but from my first glance I realized that this book was well-written, and espouses the use of low and slow temperatures for some of the best smoked and barbecued food you will ever taste.

This book will become my barbecuing reference for all time in the future. The authors know their barbecuing; the recipes speak for themselves.

This book receives 5 stars and my personal word that you will enjoy reading and barbecuing the recipes from this book.
on August 11, 2005
Well, there's no fighting it...this is one of the "must have" books if you are into "low and slow" BBQ...I've tried a few of the recipes and nearly all were fine...I'm relatively new to BBQ (graduating from grilling) but I've done quite a few smokes and I will try more of the recipes...the only two problems I have with the book thus far are their thoughts on letting spareribs or baby backs sit overnight with a rub...this isn't the best idea because the ribs can come out "hammy"....that's what happened to me with one recipe...two or three hours are all you need...second, I wish they would suggest types of wood to go with the recipes...

In summation, one of the best BBQ books out there...it will not meet ALL your needs and some of the techniques are questionable but for the beginner and novice my advice would be to buy it...
on July 9, 2009
As a novice smoker, I can't see what more I'll ever need to get great results with my Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. The great value of this book is in the huge number of recipes for cooking all sorts of meats (as well as veggies) with smoke. It has all the marinades, rubs, mops, and sauces I'll ever need. There also are side-dish and dessert recipes.

True, the book lacks detailed instructions for specific kinds of smokers, but I don't need them. My Weber is easy to operate, and Weber's own instructions are sufficient, but the Jamisons' book does offer helpful tips on fuels, cooking temperatures, etc. (It consistently recommends cooking temperatures of 200-220 degrees, vs. 250 degrees that Weber recommends. Either works; slower cooking can get you even more succulent results.)

A great point of the book is that it is completely ecumenical. It doesn't favor any particular US region's barbecues but gives you recipes for Texas, North Carolina, Memphis, Kansas City, etc., style barbecues, as well as recipes from other smoking traditions, for example Asian and Jamaican. It also offers recipes and tips for all kinds of smokers - cylindrical water smokers like my Weber, traditional pit smokers, and even stove-top smokers.

The Jamisons also give us enough of the history and lore of smoking and barbecue to let us novices feel that we're joining a rich tradition. Their enthusiasm for cooking with smoke is infectious.
on May 18, 2014
I purchased the large print paperback edition directly from Amazon and ran into the same issue several other people did--they only shipped me half the book. The large print edition is split into two volumes (to avoid a book that's too large to hold) with the second volume starting most of the way through the "Smoke Scented Salads" section and finishing with a section on side items you can cook inside the house. Unfortunately that second volume appears to be what Amazon is shipping out. I spoke with CS about this so hopefully they can either fix it or remove the listing. In my case, I was able to choose between a partial refund or the hassle of sending the book back.

Note that this review and score only apply to the large print edition and the score is only low because of Amazon's error. Amazon mixes reviews from different editions together and there's no way to comment on issues specific to that edition.