Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Smoking Meat: The Essential Guide to Real Barbecue
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 30, 2012
I have looked at and purchased several books on this topic, and this one is the best. It is concise, gives you a bunch of recipes and guidelines along with a wealth of information and tips on "smokeology". I have followed the recipes several times and have not been disappointed yet. I think this book is a must-have for anyone who is smoking meat in whatever kind of smoker you have. You must also check his website as it is a great daily reference for smokers, smoking meats, and tools that you can use to help the finished product!
Check out his website here: [...]
0Comment| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2012
I bought this book because I like Jeff's email recipes. He goes into great detail on exactly the proper technique and the ones I've tried were very good. That being said I was a bit disapointed with the book. Almost half the book is dedicated to the smoker itself; while this is good I was really looking for more technique and more recipes. In particular there is a special rub and sauce that he sells the recipe for on the web site but I cannot find it in the book, maybe its there but it's not identified as such.

I've been smoking meat for quite some time, I'm on my 4th smoker, so I really was hoping for something more advanced. For the newcomer this book is great though. And for the price it is not a bad deal.
11 comment| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2012
Not really an extensive collection of recipes, but a solid selection of a few really good staple dishes and lots of good advice on techniques and tricks to make your finished product really memorable. The dry rub and brine recipes alone are worth the price of the book.
on June 19, 2012
I have been following the "Smoking Meat" website for some time, it is a fantastic site that is full of very useful information and excellent recipes. This book buts it all together so you don't need to be stuck to a computer to see recipes or how to's. I have been smoking foods for over 20 years and still come across great ideas and unique flavors. Well done Jeff! Also if you have questions, the author Jeff Phillips, has a forum on his website "Smoking Meat" which perfectly rounds out this book.
Thank you soo much for sharing Jeff!!!
on August 21, 2013
I bought this book a couple of weeks ago and it is without a doubt the best book on this topic I've ever seen. I've done a brisket, a turkey breast and several salmons and they all came out great. I think this book is worth every penny I paid. If you want to know more than just receipes then this book is for you. I learned a lot about wood, rubs, and the correct temps.
on September 15, 2012
I held off on buying this book thinking that it would be full of the same receipes that I get from Smoking-Meat.com. I have to say I was wrong. This book is full of awesome receipes I want to try. Jeff has done a great job with this book. Easy to follow and read. I highly suggest this book to anyone that is into smoking food.
Thanks for the great book Jeff!!
on May 18, 2012
Author Jeff Phillips has a growing list of 140,000 plus subscribers to his Smoking-Meat.com newsletter as he spreads the gospel of how to use a "low and slow" cooking technique to produce the world's most flavorful and tender meat and fish. If you've never considered smoking your meat, or if you are a novice smoker and want to perfect your technique, Smoking Meat is designed for you written in an easy to understand conversational style. How to choose the best meats for smoking, using the proper equipment and a good variety of recipes, which surprisingly include a few desserts that are smoker prepared, along with cheeses. Plenty of colorful illustrations make this guidebook a comprehensive reference book for anyone who loves barbecued meats.
on August 3, 2013
With all of the hype about this book and the author's website I thought it was going to be the most amazing book on smoking in the world. It is okay. There are mostly references to the website and the recipes mostly include an attempt at humor that is corny at best. All in all there are not many recipes in this book. The most valuable part (to me) is the descriptions of smokers, types, etc. The general info is great. I would certainly buy this book again as a "beginner" but I certainly wouldn't pay this much.
on August 10, 2012
Have bought alot of bar b q cook books but I would have to rate this as the best, I've followed Jeffs recipe's and instructions on cooking times and temps from ribs, beer can chicken, and brisket with great results. He also gives you recipes for rubs and brines along with cooking potatoes,vegetables and deserts which I have tried and found delicious. Next I'm gonna try his smoked salmon. His ingredients used for his recipes are easily found in stores. He also talks about the diferent wood chips to use for your meats and easy to follow pages for cook times and temperatures for smoking. Like the book say ,its the essential guide to real barbecue.
on November 9, 2012
I first chose another book for smoking meat and was very disappointed, I returned that book. Then, I ordered Smoking meat.
It is more than I expected, the recipes are fantastic, It gives great guides on everything and why you need to follow for different types of meat. This book and his online suggestions are fantastic. This is the only book I need for smoking meat to be flavorful, tender, and moist. The raves I get are enormous. So don't hesitate Order this book if you are a meat smoker.