Lyft Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on March 4, 2006
I have purchased both of Leslie Helakoski's books. I have found each to be a delightful children's story with a clever message tucked lovingly between the pages. She is truly gifted in her efforts to "teach" children through the art of story - as so often our efforts as teacher/parents, etc. get filtered out.

Each book offers the child the opportunity to read and discover something about themself (i.e. courage..."The Big Chickens" or a fun with mathematics "The Smushy Bus"). But her books also allow the delicious opportunity to share the reading within the intimacy of parent-child, teacher-student, sibling-sibling and enjoy the noticing of each clever phrase, each well-chosen word to more fully take in the entire experience of her books.

Much applause to Ms. Helakoski for her gift not only to chilren but her gift to the legacy of books.
on October 11, 2002
I just read this book in our school library. I was so taken that I had to hurry to my computer to order a copy for myself. I teach first grade and I know my students will love this book. It plays says stuff like there were 76 students on the bus and 18 got off, smushed all over each other. How many are left, and a kid says, "What's the difference?" the teacher replies,"Exanctly!" It's a crack-up and does math all the way through. Your kids will love the sillyness and the challenges.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 12, 2002
My son enjoys math and The Smushy Bus really had him thinking about adding and subtracting all the students that had to get on and off the bus on their way home from school. This was a fun story to share with him and we both really enjoyed the illustrations too! Your child will laugh and giggle while reading AND learning that math can be fun!