Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Snacktime!
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Format: Audio CD|Change

"Raisins come from grapes
People come from apes
I come from Canada"

(lyrics from "Raisins")

This Canadian alt-rock band scores big with my family with this album of 24 original and hilarious songs for kids. For a taste of the album make sure you watch the video on the Amazon product page for the first track "7,8,9", based on the old pun about a very hungry number seven.

Whether they're singing about ninjas or pollywogs, allergies or the alphabet, BNL never fail to bring a smile to your face with the clever lyrics and catchy tunes.

The ones we really like are "The Ninjas"; "Pollywog in a Bog"; "Raisins"; "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy ii - Popcorn"; "Allergies"; and "I Don't Like". The one that made me smile is "Crazy ABC's", and I'll list a few letters so you can see why.

A is for Aisle

H is for Hour
J is for Jalapeno
M is for Mnemonic
T is for Tsunami

The one small problem is that there are a few too many slower tracks that are pretty good as folk ballads, but not so good at holding the attention of younger kids. Some of these are "Louis Loon", "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy i - Snacktime"; "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy iii - Vegetables"; "My Big Sister" and "Bad Day". The melodies are nice, but will be more to the liking of slightly older folk. (Think Gordon Lightfoot)

One fun bit of trivia is that at the end of "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy i - Snacktime" various people tell you their favorite snacks, and these people include Gordon Lightfoot, Geddy Lee, Lyle Lovett, Sarah MacLachlan, Jason Priestley, Janeane Garofalo and Weird Al Yankovic.

Light-hearted, punny, clever and very, very entertaining - this is an album the whole family can enjoy and sing along to between giggles.

Amanda Richards, May 17, 2008
1111 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 6, 2008
As you might know, for Barenaked Ladies, this is certainly a compliment. I am pleased as pie with this new kids record. I have been (not so) patiently waiting this release for over a year now. You won't be disappointed.

I do wish it had a video companion, a la TMBG's ABC and 123s. But we can't win them all!
on June 9, 2008
This is the first time I've been inspired to write a review on Amazon. I get to listen to a lot of kids music with my 4 year old and this is by far my favorite. To my amazement its also hers (okay I know she'll change her mind in a few weeks). No offense to The Wiggles but if I hear Big Red Car again I'm going to lose it. I can't imagine ever saying that about any of the songs on this album. Some of the slower ones aren't quite as fun but all the others more than make up for them. Also some of the slower ones are awesome. This album has allowed me to introduce my daughter to the rest of the BNL catalog and I'm hoping this will lead to other "adult" bands. All this fun music and I also finally get to find out the favorite snack of the lead singer of my other favorite Canadian band.
on July 9, 2012
This was a fun, fast moving CD for children. The track that
motivated me to purchase this CD was "Allergies". It's a fun
song and anyone who suffers from allergies of all kinds will
enjoy it. This CD offers a different sort of children's music
which strays from the traditional children's music entertainers.
The child care staff I work with really enjoyed it as did the
children.
on August 7, 2012
This was recommended to me be a friend, and I'm glad I listened to him. When my wife saw it, she asked skeptically, "Barenaked Ladies?" I told her it was a kids CD and just call them BNL. It helped that I put it in the car first, so it played when she started the car. Now, we're all hooked. The songs are not your standard run-of-the-mill redone (overdone) kids songs, these are different. My favorite is the Crazy ABC's, a song using words that start with other sounds, like A is for Aisle, which of course doesn't start with the A sound, C for Czar, and O ouija, and words that start with silent letters, like H for hour, and P for pneumonia. A couple songs have some running commentary between the performers that's quite fun to listen to. It's a great buy.
on August 4, 2009
When my kids request "Snack Time!", I never cringe and never pretend I left it in the other car.

When you've had enough of Raffi or Disney productions, or if you refuse even to go there, "Snack Time!" is for you. From the first PLAY until you find yourself clicking <<, this collection delights.
Take "7-8-9". The familiar old "Why was six afraid of seven?" gag gets new life: "Vampires have to think of some other method, Cuz without their ca-NINES, how would they suck?"

Another family favorite is "Polliwog in a Bog" -- "It's hard to believe/With the arms you'll receive/You'll life your head above the water and breathe!"

"Raisins" is kooky fun, "When I make mistakes/I use a lot of salt/Cause salt makes m'steaks taste great."

We also get to sympathize with the little brother who gets unwanted hand-me-downs, "It may be black/It may fit perfect/But you and I both know --/It's a girl's coat."

Our 3.5 year old can sing almost every word to every song -- even the words she doesn't understand. All three of my kids laugh, sing, and dance in their booster seats from start to finish.

MOST HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
on July 18, 2016
Fun children's album that I enjoyed as an adult. There are several tracks (789, Raisins, Allergies, A Word for That, & Crazy ABC's) that are classic, joke-y BNL tracks that I love. There are fewer (Eraser, Popcorn, Vegetable Town) tracks that aren't my cup of tea and I'll probably skip on a relisten. Overall the album is very solid and all the tracks easily average 4*
on March 22, 2013
If you love BNL, (and seriously, do we want to know anyone that doesn't?) then you need this album. The Ladies have a lot of fun on this album and it's really great. Yes, it's also an album for kids. Guess what? I don't have kids and it's all good. The songs are smart and funny. The guys are having fun and the songs are so well written. In a lot of ways, it's my favorite. It will be sure to put a smile on your face and have you singing. And if you're depressed you can listen to "Bad Day" and get in a good mood again. :-)
on February 12, 2016
Childless, mid-50's female yet I LOVE this album. A friend with children lent me his. I gave it back and purchased my own. Then I gifted it to a friend. And bought another one for myself. Suitable for all ages. Interesting, clever, silly, fun, a variety of tunes and subjects. My favorite: Popcorn. I sing it to myself when I make popcorn on the stove if people are around. I belt it out if I'm alone. :)
on December 18, 2015
This is a great CD to get for parents and their child/ren. Children never tire of hearing their favorite music, watching their favorite DVD, or hearing their favorite book. This is a CD that the parents will enjoy, too. I promise. No big purple dino music. The lyrics are funny, the songs are catchy, and the recipient of this gift will thank you for being so thoughtful.