Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Product Packaging: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 4,973 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,426 reviews
on January 7, 2015
As a kid (more years ago than I care to admit) I played with the Phillips electronics set; it came with multiple values of resistors, capacitors, inductors, a few transistors, switches, and wires, instructions to make about 30 different circuits and a booklet which explained how and why things worked. That set has been off-the-market for ages, so reading that this set allows a child to build 100 circuits made me curious. I bought it for my kids and after opening the box had to realize that it is just advertising hoopla.
Your reaction to this set will depend on what you expect. If you are pleasantly surprised at connecting a few terminals and having something that works, this is the toy for your child. If you hope it will teach at least elementary electronics, you (like me) will be disappointed
I will list first the positives:
1) my 9-years-old child took to it like fire to straw; in the first 24 hours since opening the box (including one full day of school) he has blazed without help through about 2/3 of the projects, and shows no sign of getting bored. The 6 years old one, instead, shows no interest.
2) all components worked
3) the molded-plastic box liner helps keep the pieces neatly organized and identify what might have been dropped on the floor and risks being forgotten at the end of the play session.
And for the negatives:
1) There are maybe 15 basic circuits here, and multiple variations on each one. Example: a circuit will allow you to turn on a light by clapping your hands, and another circuit will allow you to start a siren by clapping your hands. The manufacturer counts those as two different circuits, even though the only (minuscule difference) is using as output the light bulb vs. the speaker component. Do not expect anywhere near the level of fun that "over 100 exciting projects" could provide.
2) Most of the elements provided are (really) just a glorified piece of copper wire of various lengths. There is two IC, a couple switches, an input and output unit each for sound and light, a DC motor, a battery holder; the rest could be replaced with unbent paperclips, and nobody would be the wiser. For over $20 I would have hoped to get more than a couple dollars' worth of components.
3) The instructions are erector-set-like: you are vaguely told what the circuit is supposed to do and given a picture representation of what it should look like. There is no discussion/explanation of why it should work as planned, or what each component does. The one control IC is provided in a sealed opaque box with unlabeled terminals and no description of what other circuitry might be embedded inside the plastic case.
4) The microphone is extremely insensitive. On circuits which are triggered by sound you get better/faster/repeatible response by hitting the IC component that by making noise near the sensor (microphone).

Summary: out-of-the box this seems a construction set (think Lego City) with electricity. If left alone with the toy a child will learn how to connect the pieces and follow instructions, and little more. A child left with the toy will not understand electricity and electronic any better than a child without the toy unless he/she has also access to a DMM or (preferably) an oscilloscope and a relative showing what happens to the voltages and waveforms when different terminals are connected on the ICs .

I would definitely recommend this toy before a playstation, but want to believe there are better products out there.
1616 comments| 310 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2017
My 5 year old is constantly asking questions about how the world works and is very inquisitive, especially about science type things. We saw this as a deal for Christmas and couldn't resist. Each experiment is laid out nicely in the instruction manual and provides a narrative discussing what is going on in the experiment. There are enough experiments that you can do a few for 30 minutes or so and then put it away for a day or so and pull it out and do some more. By the time you finish all of the experiments you can go back and do the first ones. In the beginning, I was putting the experiments together and talking him though how to interpret the diagrams but now he can do the experiments himself. This is a great learning tool and very educational. If I set this out beside one of his other hot wheels type toys and told him to pick which one he wanted to play with, I guarantee he would pick this Circuits toy every single time. I plan on buying one of the bigger kits for his birthday in a couple of months!
on June 23, 2017
This electronics set is THE BOMB! Although the suggested minimum age is eight, my 4-year-old grandson loves it, is pretty good at following the diagrams to help me build each experiment, and has quickly grasped the concept of flow of current. Okay, he's pretty bright for his age. If you have a very bright/curious child under eight consider this. He even hypothesized once what would happen if we tried something different.

At any rate, the experiments are pretty easy to build and the booklet explains the purpose of the experiment and what is happening. I re-explain it in easier terms for the 4-year-old.

This set is build very well, is bright and colorful, and educates while providing fun.

I can't recommend this enough. Buy it! I've given this as a gift to several of my great-nieces and great-nephews and they ALL love it!
on April 29, 2017
What I like:
-the wide age group. I've used it with young kids and older adults...who all think it is fine!
-Different colored parts to help with assembly
-wide variety of projects
-ease of "snapping" items together
-bigger instruction manual which outlines what is occurring in the circuits.
-provides many opportunities to learn
-materials appear well-made and fairly durable
-takes 2 AA batteries (some other kits require batteries that I don't have around the house)
-easy to clean up

What I don't like: *note these are super nit-picky and very minor*
-the box does not fold together easily. The opening on the side is awkward and makes it difficult to completely close or open (if its closed all the way). I usually just leave it partially closed, because the parts are tight enough in the box they usually don't fall out (though they have fallen out once or twice) when I went to grab it for the next time.
-there are no step-by-step directions. It does come with a picture which you can use to build the items, but I use this sometimes in therapy and would have appreciated a breakdown of instructions for those who have difficulty assembling things without instructions (however; I have just been typing up my own by using the picture, so it is not a big deal, just something to note).

Overall:
-very pleased!
-would highly recommend
-fun for adults and for kids!
review image review image review image
on March 31, 2016
This is an ingenious educational and fun toy. I purchased it for my 7 year old son and it is now his "go to" toy. He will focus on this for hours at a time. Not only does he love it, but so does my husband! It is fun to watch them enjoy working on a project alone and together. I've even done a couple! Inside the box are 30 parts and a colorful instruction manual with 100 projects that is very easy to follow. With each project ( or experiment) there is an objective. The components snap together and can easily be taken apart, and there are no dangerous wires. The parts are color-coded, and clearly marked, so they are easy to identify! We can't wait to upgrade our kit for more fun! (Oh yeah, and learning!)
review image
on August 16, 2017
I bought this kit for my 7-year-old granddaughter and it was a HUGE hit. She enjoyed following the diagrams to put together the various circuits that really worked. The kit was excellent for introducing vocabulary such as integrated circuits, polarity, and terminals, but she needed me to read and help explain these concepts. She would have been happy to just snap the circuits together without understanding the underlying principles. That might be different for an older child or one who has more of a natural interest in the science. I believe this sparked her interest enough that she will enjoy pursuing more detailed and complex kits in the future. I had a lot of things for her to do on her recent visit (puzzles, books, dolls, science experiment kit, Legos, etc.) and this was definitely her favorite activity.

The kit is really well designed with excellent packaging and a clear manual. Very good purchase for the money.
I recently purchased the Snap Circuits Jr. Kit for my nephew for his birthday. My kids love the SC-300 set, and I wanted a budget friendly version I could gift to family and friends. This set didn't disappoint. The Snap Circuits Jr. set is smaller than the SC-300 set, and has only 100 activities vs the 300 activities in the bigger set. While there are less activities, the pieces are 100% compatible with the larger set and with other Snap Circuits sets.

The instructions are easy to follow - if your kid can do Legos, they can definitely do the projects featured in here. All the pieces fit perfectly in the box, and the overall set it great to give your kids an introduction to engineering. The pieces fit easily together (they snap together!), are fairly durable, and are all clearly labeled for ease in construction. This is a very clever toy and would be a great gift to give to family and friends as a "teaser" version of the Snap Circuits series - and again, if your gift recipient finds they love it, they can always upgrade with other sets and the pieces are compatible.
on March 22, 2017
Can I give this 6 stars? When these went on sale I ordered 3 sets. We got ours months ago as a gift and our son loves it so much (he'd 4.5 now) and has been playing with them all the time. We got these as presents because they were quite the deal. They do have lots of pieces and they are probably best for a bit older kids, but with supervision my 4 year old can build a simple circuit and it has been a great learning opportunity for him. I HIGHLY recommend this toy!
on March 2, 2017
Bought this for my son's 8th birthday and he has been obsessed with this. I think this is a great product for kids who are interested in science projects or electronics. My son loves to make the different projects with different music and sounds. At first he would miss important details and not understand why it wouldn't work. However, after I told him to carefully read the instructions he would get it. I thought it was great that he had to apply his own critical thinking skills and while it may have been challenging not too difficult for him to get help. I was a little worried this might have been too easy or difficult for his age but it is right at the perfect level for him.
on January 1, 2017
I bought this for my nephew for his 6th birthday. I was afraid that it was a little too advanced for him. He doesn't understand the workings of the circuits yet but loves to play with his Snap Circuits nonetheless. He simply follows the visual design in the instruction manual to build new circuits and watches to see what happens. Whether it's the revolving motor, the light bulb, or the speaker, he's always fascinated by the result. My sister (his mom) loves this toy because it keeps him willingly quiet and concentrating on something. I hope that when he's older he'll be able to think more about the inner workings of the circuits. His little sister loves to help to pick out the right component and sort them back into their bins after playing. Snap Circuits is very well built: it's sturdy and should last a long time. I do wish the instructions book was glossy so it could last as long as the circuits. It's made from regular paper, which kids can easily destroy.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.