Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on January 7, 2015
As a kid (more years ago than I care to admit) I played with the Phillips electronics set; it came with multiple values of resistors, capacitors, inductors, a few transistors, switches, and wires, instructions to make about 30 different circuits and a booklet which explained how and why things worked. That set has been off-the-market for ages, so reading that this set allows a child to build 100 circuits made me curious. I bought it for my kids and after opening the box had to realize that it is just advertising hoopla.
Your reaction to this set will depend on what you expect. If you are pleasantly surprised at connecting a few terminals and having something that works, this is the toy for your child. If you hope it will teach at least elementary electronics, you (like me) will be disappointed
I will list first the positives:
1) my 9-years-old child took to it like fire to straw; in the first 24 hours since opening the box (including one full day of school) he has blazed without help through about 2/3 of the projects, and shows no sign of getting bored. The 6 years old one, instead, shows no interest.
2) all components worked
3) the molded-plastic box liner helps keep the pieces neatly organized and identify what might have been dropped on the floor and risks being forgotten at the end of the play session.
And for the negatives:
1) There are maybe 15 basic circuits here, and multiple variations on each one. Example: a circuit will allow you to turn on a light by clapping your hands, and another circuit will allow you to start a siren by clapping your hands. The manufacturer counts those as two different circuits, even though the only (minuscule difference) is using as output the light bulb vs. the speaker component. Do not expect anywhere near the level of fun that "over 100 exciting projects" could provide.
2) Most of the elements provided are (really) just a glorified piece of copper wire of various lengths. There is two IC, a couple switches, an input and output unit each for sound and light, a DC motor, a battery holder; the rest could be replaced with unbent paperclips, and nobody would be the wiser. For over $20 I would have hoped to get more than a couple dollars' worth of components.
3) The instructions are erector-set-like: you are vaguely told what the circuit is supposed to do and given a picture representation of what it should look like. There is no discussion/explanation of why it should work as planned, or what each component does. The one control IC is provided in a sealed opaque box with unlabeled terminals and no description of what other circuitry might be embedded inside the plastic case.
4) The microphone is extremely insensitive. On circuits which are triggered by sound you get better/faster/repeatible response by hitting the IC component that by making noise near the sensor (microphone).

Summary: out-of-the box this seems a construction set (think Lego City) with electricity. If left alone with the toy a child will learn how to connect the pieces and follow instructions, and little more. A child left with the toy will not understand electricity and electronic any better than a child without the toy unless he/she has also access to a DMM or (preferably) an oscilloscope and a relative showing what happens to the voltages and waveforms when different terminals are connected on the ICs .

I would definitely recommend this toy before a playstation, but want to believe there are better products out there.
1616 comments| 519 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 13, 2015
I purchased this as a gift for a clever 6 year old, although I know the box says 8-108. The idea was to show her how it worked to see if she had any interest in electronics. I was concerned it wouldn't maintain her attention, so before gifting it my partner and I decided to try it out so that we could explain it to her. We both have Masters degrees, and his is in engineering, so we figured it would be a piece of cake. He also played with similar, though much more complex kits, beginning at the age of 9 (but he was far more advanced in engineering skills than his peers) and had a blast.

While using the kit, I was trying to look at it from the average kid's perspective.

The first thing we noticed about the kit, especially for me considering I wasn't really exposed to circuits as a child aside from a brief period in junior high, was that for the most part you couldn't just look at the pieces as a newb and understand what they were. They have symbols like "U1, U2, U3, WC, S1, SP, R1...". It would have been extremely helpful if the resistor, for example, was actually labeled "RESISTOR". Page 2 is incredibly useful since it names each piece.

The kit seems to assume you have some basic understanding of circuits before you even get going. For me I like to jump in and try things out; learn as I go. I despise manuals. With this kit however, you really need to take the time to read the manual, especially since a wrong arrangement can actually short out some of the pieces. If you have an inpatient kid or one without great reading skills you'll need to help them with this. I've attached some photos so you can see the complexity of the manual. There is a lot of really good info in there if you are willing to take the time to read it. It's 45 pages in length.

We worked through several configurations together, and then started to feel like there was too much redundancy. A new configuration would often just be the replacement of a particular piece, or it would involve taking two configurations and linking them together. After going through maybe 6-8 different configurations (and believe me, those would be pretty cool for someone who had never worked with circuits before) we stopped, because flipping through the book we found we weren't seeing a whole lot of additional variety.

The plastic base seems well made and although I feared I would crack it as I popped the pieces in place, I didn't. I did find it difficult to pull some of the pieces apart after they were snapped together (literally had to use my teeth on more than one occasion).

All in all, this is a very high quality kit, though somewhat limited it what it can do. I think something like this would have been great when I was just starting to learn circuits in the 7th grade. To get the full value you need to not only follow the circuit configurations to achieve a certain output (fan, dimmed light, siren) but also really read and understand why certain things are happening and how each unique piece contributes to that.

I'd recommend this for your budding 8-year old junior engineer, or purchase it for your ~12-year old when they start learning about this sort of thing in school. It makes for a great hands-on activity to supplement school learning. I wish I had something similar. For the price it's a deal. I doubt it would keep my 6-year old niece's attention, even if we worked through it with her, but we'll hold on to it to see how she progresses over time and will share it with other kids we know as it makes sense to.
review imagereview imagereview image
22 comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 30, 2015
We bought this for my son for his birthday and hid it in the closet until this past weekend for him to open. We tried building circuits using the spinning propeller circuit and the piece is defective and doesn't spin. The item is now past the 30 day return so we are stuck with a set where he cannot fully use the circuits. Very frustrating because it is a cool concept.
11 comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Top Contributor: Cyclingon January 5, 2018
Our seven and a half year old loves this SC-100 kit. It is easy to identify the pieces, and follow the excellent user manual that takes you through each project. The box functions as great storage for the kit when not in use. This has been a very intuitive gift for our daughter, who has no problems following the instructions by herself. She takes great joy in completing each project and checking them off in the manual. We gave the SC-300 kit to hr cousin for Christmas, and I was so impressed with it we're giving it to our kid for her birthday in May.

If you're on the fence about purchasing the SC-100 versus the SC-300, I would say get the 300 if it will be the only gift for the child and it fits within your budget. However, if you're giving multiple gifts to the child, or gifting multiple children then the 100 provides enough variation in projects to keep the kids well entertained.
on March 31, 2016
This is an ingenious educational and fun toy. I purchased it for my 7 year old son and it is now his "go to" toy. He will focus on this for hours at a time. Not only does he love it, but so does my husband! It is fun to watch them enjoy working on a project alone and together. I've even done a couple! Inside the box are 30 parts and a colorful instruction manual with 100 projects that is very easy to follow. With each project ( or experiment) there is an objective. The components snap together and can easily be taken apart, and there are no dangerous wires. The parts are color-coded, and clearly marked, so they are easy to identify! We can't wait to upgrade our kit for more fun! (Oh yeah, and learning!)
review image
on November 11, 2017
I bought this for my 5 and 6 year old granddaughters. They just loved it! It was the perfect starter kit, not too big to be overwhelming with too many parts and projects, but big enough to be engaging. They learned how to put things together on the grid board and to put the pieces away in the proper space. A couple of months later I bought a bigger kit. Without having started with the smaller kit, the big one would have been too frustrating. So, start with the little one unless your child is the recommended 8+. The junior kit easily and quickly gets younger children ready to use the bigger ones. Another great aspect of these kits is the replacement policy. This I didn't know until I was looking for another kit last week. The girls must have broken the connection to the lights on the fan blade in the junior kit- they liked stopping it when it was moving. The fan worked, just not the lights. When I read a review last week, someone mentioned the great replacement policy. Took a minute to fill out form, new part arrived 4 days later!
on December 28, 2017
 This product came up as a suggestion when I was purchasing a Christmas gift for my six-year-old. I decided to go ahead and buy it. He got it three days ago and this has been one of his favorite gifts. After making a few of the projects in the book, he started modifying it and creating amazing circuits. The only problem was that his modifications drained the batteries so I'm glad we have a pack of them.

He took it to his grandparents' house yesterday and before I knew it, his 13-year-old cousin was using it. She really enjoyed it and it became a bit of a problem because they couldn't both use it at the same time. Kids who own iPads arguing over a physical science kit? I love those kinds of problems!

As a former educator, I believe in exposing kids as soon as they can handle the information and this was a great purchase for my family. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for the average six-year-old, but my son is somewhat gifted. I think we'll be building on this knowledge for years to come.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 23, 2016
Bought this for my nephew for X-mass (which we celebrated early this year).
He loved it. There are not words to describe how much he loved it!
Yet again I have clinched the coveted title of favorite uncle. Take that other brothers!

My neph is kind of bright I guess for a 5 year old. And also seems to have a fascination with building stuff. But if your 5 year old is already doing Lego kits they will probably love this.
It is better constructed than I had thought it would be for the price. It comes with a motor, speaker, several encapsulated ICs, diodes, capacitors etc.
The snap together action of the pieces is genius. They snap like a snap button shirt. Kids love it!
I think the bigger kits would be a great idea if you can afford them.
I know I'll be getting him the next larger kit for his birthday.
Who knows, maybe a soldering iron in a few years!

PS I kind of want one of these kits myself!
on November 15, 2017
My 8 and 10-year-old granddaughters opened this Friday and played with it all weekend. The parts are easy to snap on and off, and the illustrations are very clear for each of the projects. It just took a few minutes of identifying the pieces (they are clearly labeled) and making sure they set it up exactly like the illustrated layouts and they had a ball. They especially liked the flying saucer. Sometimes i would read aloud the "objectives"--otherwise, the kids might just go on to the next project without realizing what they have learned (e.g., "parallel" vs "series" circuits). But if they just want to play--let them play! Note: One granddaughter has some manual dexterity issues, but she was able to snap the pieces on and off just fine, and this was good exercise for her.
on February 24, 2017
It's a great idea but has quality control issues. I bought this for my 8 year old for Christmas, and he really loved it. I had to return the first delivery due to a failed component in the kit. We have had the second kit for about 2 months and maybe 4-5 play cycles, and already the snaps are starting to break on the components; the switch to be specific. I really hope they address this as it is a fantastic concept and I am saddened by the lack of quality. If I knew how to get a replacement part I would in a heart beat.