Truck Reviews HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Snapshot: Leon Russell
Format: Audio CD|Change

on December 23, 2013
From the first track to the last Leon Russell is exceeding at his talents. I have been along time fan of Leon Russells like so many other that will likely read this review. This records contains previously released selections of his many records- on his self named label, but please do not let that fact detract the excellent music on this compact disc.
I believe the records holds some of the best songs released over the last 15 years or so. "Come For You" is a song I play from "Angel In Disguise" also from the same record is the hot" Honey And Eli" the song certainly proves Leon still knows how to really drive a song like few others.
"Lost Inside The Blues" here once again Leon is at the top of his game. Just love "Sweet Magic Love" a real country blues song that has that the Russell signature all over it.
"I See The Light" from the wonderful "A Mighty Flood" this is probably one of my all time favorite songs by Leon Russell. I really could not estimate how many times I have played this song ( I hope to have this song played at my funeral)
All in all I am very pleased with this fine offering by the wonderful Leon Russell.
45 people found this helpful
|1515 comments|Report abuse
Leon Russell's new CD "Snapshot" comes unheralded. There are no musicians listed, no writers' credits for the songs. But the music has delightful gems. The double-entendre titled "Come for You" bounces joyfully with romantic bliss as the background singers, stinging electric guitar and Russell's growl-sing make the track shine. "Honey & Eli" is another of my favorites with Russell's signature piano -- his fingers seem to bounce along the keyboards -- and soul horns to create an intoxicating mix, "I see sweet love there in your eyes; true love cannot be denied." Another gem that should not be confused with the Hank Williams' classic by the same title is the religious but not preachy "I See the Light." Russell is in reflective mood here on the Almighty and the afterlife with a slower beat and his vocals soulful and passionate, "I see a place there in the distance now, a sweet delight, his precious love abounds, I hear his words and then I feel alright; I speak his name; I see the Light." The rest of the CD is a mix with some predictable melodies, but also some joyful surprises. "Lost Inside the Blues" is a strong track. The CD concludes with a Russell instrumental "Friendly Fire." "Snapshot" is a strong set, well worth exploration by fans of Russell and heartfelt roots music. Enjoy!
34 people found this helpful
on January 2, 2014
Its been 3 or 4 years since Leon made a terrific "comeback" on an album he did with the great Elton John. That was a terrific record without a bad song on it. When I saw that he had a new album coming out at a great price of just 10 bucks I jumped on it. I was not disappointed. I've played it in the house and in the car and I just love it. Its got the Leon Russell sass and his voice has held up quite well. I can't sit here and name the songs as its still too new but it was better that I thought ot would be. Its on Leon's own label and the production is superb. It comes with several little baseball-card sized snapshots of ol' Leon. Thus the album title "Snapshots". Buy it.
26 people found this helpful
on January 25, 2014
I have not bought a Leon Russell CD since the 1970s, after he stopped rocking and started doing everything but. I saw him in concert last week and he put on a great rock n' roll show, so I decided to check out this new (2013) CD. It is surprisingly good. Is more rockabilly than pure rock, but his voice has not lost anything and he still plays piano better than anyone around. If you are a Leon fan it may be time to check him out again.
11 people found this helpful
on April 29, 2014
I bought this CD the same time that I bought "Life Journey". Whilst I really enjoyed "Life Journey" with its great cover versions and originals and laid-back feel (I played it all day - as you would) it was a week later before I listened to "Snapshot" and I was totally knocked out.I kept replaying it - I couldn't believe how much it rocked.
I had to check that it wasn't an old re-issue because it sounded like the old Leon or young Leon (pounding piano, big arrangements, backing vocals etc). It captures all the excitement of 1970s Leon but with a 2014 maturity.
I can recommend both Leon releases to anyone who wondered what Leon has been doing since the excellent 'the Union" album with Elton John.
Leon is still rocking.
2 people found this helpful
on April 6, 2014
This album is a nice mix of tunes and all classic Leon. Wonderful vocals and piano, but then again, how could it not be. Leon rocks and proves he still has it. I've been a fan for over 45 years and will continue to follow this iconic man. He's not called the Master of Space and Time for no reason. Leon lovers love him in a place where there's no space and time...
Buy it, you won't regret it!
on February 13, 2014
I have been enjoying Leon Russell most of my life. I have yet to be disappointed. Snapshot is a great blend of love song and story. Plus it comes with 4 small 'snapshots'!
on February 5, 2014
It is hard for me to write an unbiased review of any thing by Leon Russell because I have been a fan of his for over 40 years. This is not his best work but it is good in my opinion.Buy it and see if You like it and then, if You do, You can buy his earlier work which is better.
on July 20, 2014
Leon at the end of the line. May see some more great work from this legend, but if not, I can't think of a better way for him to close a brilliant career. Looks like he has finally found the peace we all should reach in the life. Thank God Elton and Neil pulled him out of retirement and got him back doing what he was meant to do. Thanks Leon
on February 13, 2014
Leon Russell's star continues to shine! Leon stays true to his roots with this one and also keeps current with hits like Come For You and Lost Inside the Blues. His voice shows its age, but Leon delivers his heartfelt best.