Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: DVD|Change
Price:$2.63+ Free shipping (Addon item)

Showing 1-10 of 329 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 458 reviews
on November 12, 2016
Enjoyed this a lot. I particularly loved David Strathairn -- an actor who always pleases, no matter what the role. A young River Phoenix showed the promise we all remember, and the rest of the star packed lineup -- Mary McDonnell, Sidney Poitier, Dan Akroyd, Robert Redford and Ben Kingsley brought no surprises but did their usual good jobs with the material.

Premise: A group of hackers who hire themselves out to try to crack business security systems for the business owners (to demonstrate vulnerabilities), is hired by NSA to break into a megabillionaire's private lair and steal a very dangerous "black box" for the good guys. As you may guess the good guys turn out to be almost as bad as the bad guys. The hacker group has the usual lineup of the charismatic leader, the conspiracy theorist, the math genius, the kid and so on.

Lots of famous actors doing their famous actor thing, some quite funny moments, some action, some conspiracies...what's not to like? Dated, of course, but maybe even more fun to watch because of that.
on May 30, 2017
It's true - I love this movie & watch it about once a year. It's played for light laughs for the most part, although there are a couple of brief "uh-oh!" moments in the film. The actors all seem at ease and almost laid back in their portrayals, and seem like they're having a really fun time making the movie.

It's basically a light-hearted caper film with an interesting twist for those viewers who are interested in technology and how it can be used, in both "good" and "unscrupulous" hands. It's not a particularly fast-paced film, but if you like at least one of the actors involved with this picture (just take a look at the cast list!), and you're looking for something pleasantly funny with a little wit and banter, you should watch this. It's a lot of fun.
on September 6, 2013
Please note that my star rating is for the blu-ray image quality ONLY - the movie would have gotten 5 stars!

Replaced DVD with blu-ray - was very excited to get this. After viewing I was disappointed with the image quality - and in fact it did not look that different from the DVD (I have a calibrated Epson 6010e projector and 10' screen). I looked up the review on Blu-Ray.com and discovered that it was "probably" mastered from the original HD DVD master tape, which explains a lot of things. This is a great movie and one of my favorites but it needs to get a proper restoration before the print ages any more. When that comes out I guess I will buy it again - but only after I read the review. My copy IS better than the DVD, but only marginally so. I think it would look fantastic with the right care and attention during the transfer. Audio needs some work too but that's a minor quibble next to the image quality.
on August 17, 2013
This movie is kind of endearing. It suffers, as all movies that hinge on high-end tech do, from the passage of time -- the equipment being used to monitor things now looks hilariously clunky -- but there's nothing to be done about that. In 20 years, we'll all be laughing at the ridiculously outdated tablet computers and cell phones in films of the 2010s. A solid script; Redford is playing that "aw gee shucks" good looking-but-doesn't-know-it pleasant fella with commitment issues. Mary McDonnell is a little bit bland. Otherwise, the supporting cast is great - Sidney Poitier has a remarkably light touch with comedy. River Phoenix is oddly uncomfortable delivering his lines -- which I suppose may be what the director and he were striving for -- and strikes me as sad here from the vantage point of 2013. David Strathairn is the standout here, but he has the most to work with. You'll probably talk about his character if someone ever asks you about this film later on. At any rate, it's a cute, clever caper. The only violence is quite cartoonish, time passes quickly, and it's worth a rainy afternoon's-worth of your time. I would not hesitate to watch this with a teenager in the room - there's some slightly squirmy hanky-panky between Donal Logue (who I had forgotten was in this! He looks like he's maybe 20!) and the whatever-her-name-is Natasha Fatale plot device gal, but nothing really horribly cringe-inducing if you're watching this film as a family. I liked it, but then, I like low-key movies. Oh, yes, also: Timothy Busfield plays a bad guy in this one, just like in his other Phil Alden Robinson movie, "Field of Dreams." I had kind of forgotten that he used to be cast as the squirrely, mean, self-absorbed smart bad guy in things. Anyway. A fun little movie, worth watching.
on July 17, 2017
Robert Redford puts in a fantastic performance in front of an all star cast that raises serious questions that are only now seeing the light of day in today's online society. The thought of our lives being run by 'little ones and zeros' is indeed troubling, but unlike 'The Net', this film deals with it in a more subtle manner. The comic relief from lines such as James Earl Jones' 'We are the United States Government, we don't DO that sort of thing' in response to a request for 'good will on earth and peace towards all men' adds to a well-rounded piece of entertainment.
The technological / hacking side of this movie really appeals to the more technologically oriented, but the wizardry of this movie is in that one needn't be the aforementioned to enjoy it. Robert Redford, James Earl Jones and Sidney Poitier provide solid performances despite their roles, as does Ben Kingles as 'Coz'.
'TOO MANY SECRETS, Marty'
on May 21, 2016
Caper movie that's a lot of fun and full of more than competent actors. They are a group of early hackers who test security systems when they become involved in a covert case after Robert Redford's character is blackmailed. The scene with David Strathairn as the blind sound man driving is classic. Sadly, River Phoenix died shortly after making this movie.
on July 8, 2016
A sleeper spy story. Not great literature or anything, but lots of awesome famous people including Robert Redford and Sidney Poitier and Dan Aykroyd and Ben Kingsley, and it's fun to watch our boys be so very, very clever as they mastermind their plan. Each member of the gang has a specialty skill -- one small favorite part (spoiler alert) is where the blind guy on the team was kidnapped, and he figures out where he was taken even though he was in the trunk of a car by the sounds around him, including the speed of the bumps on the seams of a bridge they cross. They have all kinds of clever ideas like that, but mostly high-tech stuff. Lots of fun.
on May 1, 2017
This is a great Movie! It's a keeper for me, I can watch it every so often for the rest of my life! Each actor brings their own different quality to the Movie. Suspenseful yet funny throughout.
on June 6, 2017
Classic! This movie inspired me to study computer science in uni. Great cast, good story that ages well.
on March 19, 2013
I rented this through Amazon Instant Video recently because I wanted to watch it with my daughter. I wasn't sure it would "stand the test of time and memory", but I'm pleased to say it passed the test with flying colors. I've always been a Redford fan, which was why I saw the movie in the first place when it came out. The movie blends drama and suspense with the right dose of humor to make the movie flow well.

I remember when seeing it the first time I was afraid it would with the weight of so many "big" names being in the same production. Not so with this cast of stars, and they do all manage to shine here in these performances.

Fact remains, it's still a great movie. Some of the tech may be dated, but that didn't give me pause or detract from enjoyment. I wish there were more movies like this one.