Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 20, 2000
I was actually amazed that this album was actually bashed in some of the reviews I read. I guess that it's a good example of how music hits people in different ways. I have never written a review on any of amazons CDs, but I though this one deserves a quick one.
To me, this is one of the best albums that I own. Interestingly enough, I am not a Robert Palmer fan, but his voice on this album I think is incredible, and very far from the "addicted to love" era. I am often amazed that it is actually him behind the vocals. Every tune has something different going on in it. Safe to say, if you are a Meters or a Little Feat fan, you will love this album. George (matters) Porter's bass lines (as always) keep a groove that is very rarely re-produced.
I think it is an excellent album to own.
on February 4, 2003
Someone once wrote that you can think of Robert Palmer having 2 careers. One started with this album; the second started with "Addicted to Love" and the slickly produced videos. In the early days he was greatly influenced by Little Feat; in fact, several members played on his 1st several albums. So, if you like the later Robert Palmer, there's a good chance you won't like his early stuff. Personally, I like ALL of his stuff.
And THIS album has the most dramatic Little Feat influence. That's why I love it.
on February 17, 2006
A friend of mine played this album for me a couple years ago without telling me who it was. "How funky is that?" he'd ask. "That's awesome" I'd respond. My jaw nearly dropped when I found out this was Robert Palmer. I had only known his cheesy 80's MTV stuff and had no idea the guy could wail like that.

This album is an absolute must-own for anyone who loves funk. Lowell George and the Meters give this album so much groove, it's positively sick.

Sailin Shoes->HeyJulia->Sally is probably the coolest three-song segue I've ever heard in a studio setting. The harmonies on Julie are hauntingly discordant (and super-cool) and Sally is just a pure funk jam. Great keys work.

Step Outside is a great mellow breather.

The next few songs are pretty cheesy, especially Blackmail and How Much Fun.

Then the album ends with a 9 minute all out jam. That drumbeat that Zigaboo lays down when the song finally kicks in, is one that I often point to as the "funkiest drumbeat ever." People rave about so many other drummers when they talk about funk, but to me Zigaboo is THE man when it comes to pocket drumming.

This album shows such a great chemistry that one can't help wonder about what would have happened if they had toured and done more albums. Dare I say this woulda been a SUPERGROUP. It could have been better than Little Feat, better than the Meters (well that's a stretch) but DEFINITELY better than "Addicted to Love" and "Power Station."

If you like obscure funk like this, check out the Pointer Sisters "Blue Thumb Sessions". Not a great album per se (lotsa garbage), but there's a couple tracks where Herbie & the Headhunters are the backing band that absolutely smoke. Mad funk. If only they'd stuck with that sound in lieu of the "Neutron Dance."

RIP Robert Palmer. At least he had ONE great album, and this is it.
on March 31, 2004
The first 3 tracks of this one: Sailing Shoes, Hey Julia, and the title-track blend all too well together therefore starting off an album like no other that I've ever heard. I'm so surprised this isn't heralded more among music listeners in general. It should be classic! Very jammy, with a Dead/Little Feat/reggae feel to them, these opening tracks let forth enough momentum to push straight through the much slower 'Get Outside' onto the soulful/upbeat again (though not nearly as much as the first three) tracks 'Blackmail' and 'How Much Fun'. The final two tracks is where the album slows down once again, this time for good. 'From a Whisper to a Scream', at 3 and a half minutes, and 'Through it All There's You' (OVER 12) is where the listener simply chills out, taking in the psychadelia. And to think that this would end up progressing over 10 years later to 'Addictive to Love'. Yes, it was a hot track for its time (MTV and all - the 80s!), but to me 1974's 'Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley' STILL stands; especially its first three tracks!
on October 9, 2000
One of my favorites...it's funky and fun and always a hit! An obscure, uncommercial Robert Palmer (pre-Addicted to Love, thank goodness!)
on November 23, 2005
The best Palmer album out there. Little Feat provide the tight vocals to back strong soulful vocals.

Way and above the middle of the road rock he put out during the 1980's. A real gem. Prime 70's R&B with a southern/new orleans edge.
on November 7, 2003
Blue-eyed soul or otherwise, whatever label you choose for this album the truth is that it is simply bloody brilliant. The sincerity just ooozes on every track as does the funk courtesy of the Meters and the irrepressible Lowell George & Crew. To give Mr.Palmer his due (he's diabolically soulful and funky on this album and I didn't mind his later stuff either)a chap's gotta do do what he's gotta do, roll w/the punches, change with the times etc. Besides, anyone who can funk up an obviously 'trippy' track as 'Sailin Shoes' deserves more than just the obligatory critical kudos.
When I do get to this album it's usually 'layter'in the evening, my listening pleasure enhanced by a couple of Rusty Nails or whatever is your poison, be it a single malt or wheatgrass. Just a tip for first time listeners, I usually start with Track 3 (Sneakin') and then loop back to Track 1 and 2. Works for me folks, En'BLOODY'joy.
on November 29, 2014
I owned this on vinyl an have been meaning to another copy for years. A fabulous fabulous album even all these years later. I saw him in concert once around the time this came out and was blown away. One little guy in a suit, singing his heart out - no glam, no running around the stage - in fact he barely moved at all - no crazy outfits or makeup or pyrotechnics. Just Robert Palmer and his voice. I was so sad when I heard he died. So many people only know him from "Addicted to Love" and the iconic video - which was great, but this what I think of when someone mentions Robert Palmer. I hope you love it!
on November 13, 1998
I was turned-on to this album from the start. Robert Palmer and Little Feat together on one album! The funky rythms just slide right up your legs to your hips and you're dancing without even realizing it! Palmer's sexy attitude comes through in his sly vocal delivery - you can't help singing along! No matter what the occasion this album is great for putting a little groove into your evening and it will definitely liven up a hot summer afternoon! It put a smile on my face! Great stuff!
on February 25, 2014
Had this on vinyl years ago, long before anyone really knew who Robert Palmer was, and it was mind-blowing. The first three songs "Sailing shoes," "Hey Julia" and "Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley" (which are kind of all joined together) are worth the price alone. This is really decent music, and NOT the "Addicted To Love" type material that Robert became famous for many years later. This album is as roots as Robert ever got and is just plain groovin' in a direction most fans of his are not aware of. This is in my opinion THE greatest album Robert Palmer EVER released. Snatch one up before it goes out of print, you'll be glad you did.