Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jordan Davis All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

Snuggle Puppy! (Boynton on Board)
Format: Board book|Change

on May 28, 2006
Sandra Boynton writes songs like someone who has never heard a song before. The pictures are adorable, sure. But here's the thing--I don't just want adorable pictures. Are there a lot of toddler books that *aren't* cute? If you're going to write a book about the way you feel about your kid and put it in the form of a song, by God that song had better be cute as well. I challenge anyone to sing the song in this book *AS WRITTEN, without changing the words. It can't be done unless you're some kind of beat poet or Yoko Ono or something.
66 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Top Contributor: Babieson August 18, 2017
Truthfully, I bought this book because I thought it was adorable with parent dog hugging its puppy. Unfortunately, my son wasn't all that into it at first... despite him loving dogs. He is more jnterested in Sandra Boynton's other books like Barn Yard Dance or The Going to Bed Book. I finally got him to show more interest in it once I pulled up a YouTube video where they sing this as a song instead. Then, he had me repeat the song over and over again while reading along on the book.
review image
If you don't have Snuggle Puppy in your home library, you and your little one are really missing out. The tune is simple, it will be memorized in no time and what a sweet little song to sing to your little one, and for them to sing with you! If I had to pick a favorite Boynton on Board, Snuggle Puppy would win, no doubt about it. Just a bit of it :

It starts with an OOO and it ends with a KISS ❤️ and all along the middle it goes something like this- It goes: OOO! Snuggle Puppy Of Mine Everything About You Is Especially Fine!

Throughout the puppy is being snuggled, danced and kissed! This book can be read by anyone who is in a loving relationship with your little one. I only wish I'd gotten this when my little granddaughter was even younger. It would be a wonderful first book that is read/sung from the time your baby is weeks or a few months old. This book would be a wonderful shower gift to either the new parents or the grandparents. Don't think you have to be able to sing to share this book either, I've never been able to carry a tune in a bucket and that hasn't changed! My own children, as young babies would cover my mouth when I tried to sing lullabies! It's just the way the words in this book flow that make it sound like a song. My granddaughter really responds to Snuggle Puppy, it can even calm her when she is crying because she's two.
This review consists of two parts: 1. my review (Mom's) and 2. my son's review of this book (he's 5).

Son Says: I find this book interesting because the Mommy dog talks to her Baby dog and the dogs stand up on their two feet but they don't actually do that in real life. My Mommy sings this song to me and I like it. They bake cookies in the book and the puppy likes them. The Mommy dog must really love her puppy because she keeps saying it throughout the book. I like the kisses inside the book and I like it when my Mom gives me a real kiss when she sings the song. The big words are really surprising and when the words get big, my Mom sings really loud. The end is very surprising because my Mom sings very softly and then really loudly. My favorite pictures are when the Mommy is swinging her puppy up in the air because it looks like fun; the one where the puppy is standing on his head with a ball on this feet; and, the one where the puppy is jumping in the pile of leaves. I like all the pictures because they are funny. When I was little, this was one of my favorite books that my Mommy read to me.

Mom Says: This book tells the tale of the love between a Mommy dog and her little puppy. [Ok, let's ignore the fact that usually dogs have multiple pups in one litter.] The Mommy sings a love song for her little puppy while the two are baking cookies. She sings of her love through all the seasons all of which is illustrated in signature Sandra Boynton style: let's just call it unique!

I love, love, love any children's books by Sandra Boynton! But Snuggle Puppy is one of my all-time favorites. I love to hold my kids in my arms and sing along to this book. I, of course, sing my own version of the song, but apparently there is a real version of this song.

I still sing along to the book to my children who are 5 and 8, but really it's more like they are indulging me by LETTING me sing to them. I would recommend any Sandra Boynton book to parents with kids aged 1 and older, but if you don't really want to sing along, there are other of Sandra Boynton's children's books that may be better: Barnyard Dance (ok, I sing that one too!), Hey! Wake Up!, Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs, and Hey You! are some of our favorites.

Come visit us at our website!
on July 18, 2017
Grand-daughter's favorite book! Noticed her Mommy has memorized it.
on April 24, 2017
loved this book :)
on April 8, 2014
My son loves this book especially. Any time I ask him to go get a book he comes back with Snuggle Puppy! My singing voice is terrible but my son sure does enjoy it (for now at least).
on April 20, 2017
Everything by Boynton is great, we give these as baby shower gifts
on July 13, 2017
A precious book!
on August 4, 2003
This is one of my 17-month-old daughter's favourites. It is short but sweet, and the rhythm and words are so catchy they get "stuck" in my head for hours at a time after I've read it to her!
It lets the reader become as animated as they wish when reading. You can just read it normally if you want, but it's more fun to do it up: "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO snuggle puppy of MINE!!!!"