Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18 reviews
on January 14, 2016
I have been in to soap operas for quite a few years now. My primary focus has been towards the prime-time ones, such as Dallas and Knots Landing (my favorites), as well as Dynasty, Falcon Crest, Melrose Place, Beverly Hills, 90210, and Party of Five. In the early pages of this book, we get an introduction written by author Marcy Walker and a foreword by Macdonald Carey (star of Days of Our Lives). This book was written in the early 1990s (around 1991, I believe), and therefore many of the shows I mentioned above, such as BH 90210, Melrose Place, and Party of Five aren't mentioned. At the time of this book's publication, Dallas and Knots Landing were still on CBS, although Falcon Crest and Dynasty had both just ended their runs.

Soap Opera History has something for everyone, from the die-hard soap fan to the casual viewer. It is, indeed, a great collector's item. Among the soaps mentioned are Guiding Light, General Hospital, All My Children, The Young and the Restless, Days of Our Lives, One Live to Live, The Bold and the Beautiful, and many, many others. The majority of the ones mentioned are from the day-time category, which is the predominant haven for soap operas. The four major prime-time ones (Dallas, Knots Landing, Falcon Crest, Dynasty) have pages dedicated to them. We get information on some of the lesser-known (and perhaps forgotten) soaps like Bare Essence, the early 1980s tryout starring Genie Francis, and the critically lauded prime-time flop Flamingo Road, featuring Morgan Fairchild as its vixen. And, of course, we get details regarding cult classics like Dark Shadows, and even the genre parodies, Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman and Soap.

What I really like about this book is the in-depth discussion each show gets. Each soap opera gets at least two pages dedicated to them, although some (like General Hospital, or Dallas) have perhaps ten pages or so set aside for them. Exactly how many pages a show gets seems to depend on its reputation and popularity. In the pages dedicated to each individual show, we get insights as to the origins of the shows, brief overviews on some of the more popular actors, and a pretty lengthy detailing of the show's memorable storylines. At the end of the book, in a section titled "Flashes in the Pan", a series of pages are dedicated to the soaps that had rather short or almost entirely forgotten runs. These soaps don't get as much space in the book, but it's interesting to read about those that "could have been..."

I love this book, and overall, I am very pleased! I only wish it was a bit newer. By this, I mean, I would like an "updated" edition of this book that would discuss All My Children and One Life to Live being canceled and then being briefly revived on the internet, and the newer "soaps" that have came (and went) since 1991. Highly Recommended.
on February 28, 2014
This book is spectacular. It has all your favorite daytime soaps that you loved like All My Children, One Life to Live and General Hospital just to name a few plus soaps way before my time that are really interesting to read about.
All the great Primetime soaps are included such as Dallas, Dynasty, Knots Landing, Falcon Crest and even Twin Peaks and many more.
Several pages are dedicated to each show with many pictures.
At the back of the book is a section about famous actors (with pictures) who started in Soaps like Kevin Bacon.
They even included the show, "Soap" that I loved as a child. This book has it all.

I only wish there was a streaming channel that existed like Netflix but instead it had all of our favorite soaps that we could watch in order. I would definitely subscribe to such a service because I love soaps and really miss them especially the primetime ones.
on June 17, 2015
A great book about classic soaps. I purchased this book back in 1992 and loved it. In the days before the Internet, this book was full of hard to find, good info and great photos. My copy had gotten damaged so I purchased a used copy from Amazon, which was in like new condition. Anyone who loved the good old days when soaps were GOOD will enjoy this book. Me, as an 80's soap lover (and Santa Barbara, in particular), loves this book!
on January 19, 2016
Was a gift for my Mom. She loves it. Detailed with all kinds of Soap Opera history and a variety of shows. Lots of photos and trivia. Lovely dust jacket with great photos.
on February 1, 2014
I collect books on soaps because I dislike reality and talk shows.I want to try to bring back soaps.All countries they are the biggest profit for networks.So I study the history inorder to do this.This book is great on history of prime time and day time soaps.I would buy it again.
on November 28, 2016
Good book, great photos
on August 15, 2016
Interesting!! Learned a lot!!
on August 26, 2012
Loved the interesting facts about soap operas. Glad I got this book. Very interesting. Beautiful pictures. From the beginning of one soap opera to another one that ended, I kept reading. EXCITING! LOVED IT!
on October 11, 2014
The vendor gets four stars with me but the book itself was disappointing. It was rife with errors and there was nothing new to learn. Some very nice pictures though.
on January 28, 2016