Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 51-60 of 219 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 263 reviews
on June 15, 2015
E. O. Wilson is a biologist that always has something intereting to say to non-biologists. As a scientiest myself I appreciate the skill it takes to maintain the science while making it more accessible to the non-expert.

I thoroughly enjoyed this work and recommend it to you.
on March 27, 2015
Somewhat repetitive account on a subject about which she has written, but very insightful treatment about how historical circumstances and our needs influence the way we understand God. In many ways, Armstrong argues, we create God in our own image and use anthropomorphic categories to describe the divine.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2014
Everyone should read this book to find out who we are, where we came from, and why we act as we do.

It is very difficult reading in places. For instance, the chapters on how bees and ants and other eusocial insects act are pretty slow reading, but they do set the background for the next chapters and are worth the time spent. You will get the scientific answers to how we evolved into the exciting, but imperfect people we are today and the part that societies have played in our development. Individuals are important and societies are important, but it is their interaction that has generated the nature of our being today
on July 2, 2015
A great read from an expert in his field. First of E.O. Wilson's books that I have read. Enjoyed it thoroughly and looking forward to reading more from the author. Slightly technical, but still a very approachable read if you have a basic understanding of science.
on January 31, 2017
This book was a quick read and very thought provoking. I bought it because I heard President Bill Clinton talking about it. ;P
on July 5, 2017
OK
on December 15, 2015
Wilson's model of eusociality is fascinating and compelling. I got lost in some of the comparisons with ants and wasps as i am not a biologist. The final chapters on art & religion are very interesting.
on November 11, 2015
Excellent commentary on the evolution of intelligence. The impact of a strongly interacting group or eusocialism has a subtle but profound effect that the author is well qualified to describe. A pleasure to read.
on January 22, 2016
Great book but beware of how "down in the weeds" it gets. Watched the author on C-Span; why I bought the book. It's a little more information than I wanted, but an excellent analysis.
on December 17, 2014
I have only read 18 chapters so I probably shouldn't review this book but so far I have learned (and immediately forgotten) an enormous amount of information about ants and bees. Maybe the author will relate the information to humans in the last 1/4 of the book. Or maybe ants will enjoy reading the research after humans die off from burning oil. Please find a review from someone who has read the complete book.