Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sodastream 1l Carbonating Bottles- Black (Twin Pack)
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

Package Quantity: 1|Color: Black|Change

on May 30, 2013
The bottles are very sturdy as I have dropped them, rolled them, tossed them and who knows what else with no damage at all except a few minor surface scratches when my bottle rolled down the street. They have a wider mouth that makes them very easy to clean by either swishing them out or using a standard bottle brush. I still have 3 of the initial 4-1.o liter bottles I bought in 2010 with my machine but I have also added some .5 liter bottles to the mix. I left a bottle on my stove by accident when baking and it warped, though to it's credit, it did not leak!

They are not dishwasher safe because dishwashers don't all heat to the same temperature and the heat can decrease the bottles strength. The bottles need to be strong to contain the pressure of the CO2 without exploding. If you try to remove a bottle from the machine without releasing the excess gas first, you will feel just how powerful the CO2 can be.

If you go to ebay you will find many colors. I have Black, White, Grey, Blue, Red and Green.

Sodastream has a manufacturing plant in Israel where it is very popular because it can still be used on the Sabbath since there are no electrical parts on the basic models. I get my bottles shipped from Israel for the same cost as Sodastream.com. The only difference is there is small Hebrew Lettering on the bottle.

Couple of warnings (that we learned the hard way)

After bottle buzzes, tilt bottle towards you to release pressure before unscrewing
DO NOT add fizz AFTER you add flavor.
ALWAYS add fizz first, THEN flavor.
(Unless of course you love cleaning your floors and cabinets, and counter and ceiling...)

Based on our calculations, the cost per liter averages about $.75. This varies a little ($.65-$.90) and we factored in the cost of the machine, initial CO2 tanks and refills (my husband and I use any excuse we can to create spreadsheets!). Most flavors cost $4.99 per bottle. However, a couple are $6.99 and the Naturals line with flavors like Black Currant Pear and Apple Mango are $9.99 a bottle.

With the average retail cost of $1.49 for a 20oz. bottle for the mainstream sodas, this is a steal!

If you found this review helpful, please click the Yes box and let me know. If there is something I left out, please feel free to comment. I will also answer questions.
22 comments| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2012
Some of these negative reviews surprise me. For the people having trouble with them melting...the warning NOT to put them in hot water or a dishwasher is in at least 3 places on the starter pack, on the packaging of the extra bottles, and printed on the bottle itself. I think it's unfair to give a low review b/c it's not dishwasher safe especially since there are dishwasher safe bottles available for a few more dollars. There are also .5L bottles available for the people that said 1L is too much or goes flat.

We have a total of 4 bottles and they get used every day (I love seltzer water!). They show no wear and tear. Even the printing on the bottle is still 100% intact.

If you are having trouble with the taste or scent of soda staying in the bottle, try soaking them in baking soda. When I'm done with a bottle I mix about a teaspoon of baking soda with a cup of lukewarm water then pour it into the bottle and fill it all the way up. Shake or swirl and let it sit. I usually leave it at least an hour but I've never tested how long it takes to smell clean. But it works every time. My mom used to do this for stinky baby bottles!!
22 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2011
I like to keep these bottle clean...So, once I make a bottle of soda, I pour the soda into an airtight plastic jug or container...and immediately flush out the carbonating bottle and let it air dry. As the instructions say...Do NOT clean these in a dishwasher..no matter how low the heat setting is. And, again per the instructions, NEVER carbonate anything but water...Anything else (soda mix, crystal lite, ice tea) will cause the bottle to back-flush on you while you are carbonating...possibly causing the bottle to burst or leak or fail or spray like a fire hose...I decided to "test" the instructions in this regard and learned the hard way
44 comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2011
As of yet, there are no alternative bottles to fit SodaStream machines, so you pay top dollar for these. However, they work great and last a long time. Each has a rubber gasket in the cap which helps keep the carbonation in.

My only complaint is that the plastic tends to absorb the taste of any soda syrups you may use, so you may want to keep the bottles that you use for making pure sparkling water separate from those that you use to make flavored soda. You could easily differentiate between the two by purchasing different colors of plastic (black, white, green, orange, gray) or metal (stainless) for each purpose.
on October 9, 2013
These do what they say and provided you do what the manufacturer suggests you will have no issues. That said, I destroyed a SodaStream machine by using a bottle past its expiration. It was heavily used - I would mix up water every day. One day - while charging - it just went off like a bomb. Actually more like a gunshot. My ears rang for about an hour and my hand was sliced by flying plastic shrapnel (not bad) and hurt like hell for about half the day. The machine was completely destroyed. Pieces flew everywhere.

I don't blame the bottle. I blame the guy who used it a full year after the expiration date and did so heavily.

So, be warned. I have another SodaStream machine at another house and plan on using it. The older bottles I have left over will be all marked with a Sharpie Marker to make sure I don't use them by accident. They are retired to non-carbonating duties now.

I dropped a star from my rating not because of the above, but just because I think they cost too much.
on September 30, 2010
These extra bottles come in handy. I love my SodaStream and use it all the time. My only wish is that the bottles were dishwasher safe. I tried running them through without with the high temp wash or heat dry and they still melted. Also, I wouldn't purchase the flavored mixes unless you are a fan of generic/store brand colas and such.
44 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 5, 2013
We have four of these and they’ve had constant and heavy use for 17 months now with no problems whatsoever. The caps are substantial and hold heavy rubber gaskets so the bottles seal up really well. (I like them because the caps are large and very easy to grip when opening a bottle.) Cleaning is not much of a chore – a good shake with lukewarm soapy (not hot) water keeps them sparkling.

The bottles themselves are thick and rather heavy for their size and should last for a long while. Some reviewers mentioned seeing an expiration date but there was none on the packaging of the bottles we purchased. This is a surprisingly good product considering the fact that Sodastream has a lock on the items that can be used with their devices and could have gone the cheap route but they did not. The price may seem a little high, but considering what you get, it’s worth it.
on February 27, 2016
Terrible deal. These are set to expire in 2017. According to Sodastream you're supposed to get them with a 3 year expiration window. I never realized that these were coming from a third party seller. The price is only a couple dollars cheaper so I'd recommend spending your money with the actual company and getting a usable product for a longer period of time. It's a good idea to follow the recommendation on the expiration date, too since you're dealing with pressurized vessels. Don't want to have one explode on you because you neglected to look at the expiration date on the bottle. I tried to capture the date in the picture below.
review image
on January 19, 2016
My reason for purchasing these is that the bottles that came with my Sodastream are past their expiration dates.

The product description for these replacement bottles says they are good for up to 2 years. The ones shipped to me had an expiration date less than 6 months away.

Returned for a refund.
on July 16, 2015
The bottles are fine, but they are marked with an expiration date of August 2016 (this info is printed directly on the bottle, not on the packaging), essentially only one year from today (if they were new stock, there would be at least two years if not more until the expiration date). Kind of a rip-off, since I now will have to replace the bottles in a year.