- Explore more great deals on thousands of titles in our Deals in Books store.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Soft Addiction Solution Paperback – Bargain Price, October 19, 2006
After the Speech: When Teens Get Real
It's not just about dreams; it's about life. Inspiring stories from transparent hearts. Learn More
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
And it's not about deprivation - it's about adding things that are more nourishing than computer solitaire or too much food. So I feel more satisfied rather than less and filled up rather than overstuffed.
As a physician, I see the effects of our Soft Addictions all day, every day. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
- The main idea: soft addictions, i.e. mindless routines and unproductive behaviors, consume a lot of time in most people's lives and rob us of time for doing things that would make us happier.
- The explanation: people resort to soft addictions when they can't deal with emotions such as anxiety, hurt, etc., or as an attempt to satisfy a a yearning they can't identify. This is probably the greatest strength of the book, as most people who realize they have soft addictions tend to blame themselves for being so "stupid" without understanding what drives them to the behavior.
- The (broad) solution: identify the deeper hunger that drives each addiction and try to find a way to satisfy it by a meaningful and fulfilling activity.
- If you buy a book called "The Soft Addiction Solution", you probably have a good idea what soft addictions are and that you have them. The book, however, spends several chapters trying to get you to "discover" that you have soft addictions and how much time (and/or money) they are costing you.
- Despite its name, the book offers few concrete solutions. In fact, a more apt title would be "The Soft Addiction Problem".Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
A really interesting read. I enjoyed this book and found it to be a different way of looking at my issues around eating. Read morePublished 6 months ago by amazoncust
I began this book. Did not finish it yet. Lucky me...if I have a soft addiction, so far I have not identified it. I have never let habits get the better of me.Published 9 months ago by J. A. Drummond
Well written , lots of ideas. Opening me up to a more awareness . I will love my addictions from now onPublished 20 months ago by Steve DePiro
I've enjoyed the guidance through this process and she even helps when you stumble and how to refocus.
A great book that's heading me in the right direction.
The content is good, until it starts to repeat and repeat with references to the authors' programs. Good read for those who are looking for answers to questions like: "How do... Read morePublished on January 1, 2014 by Amazon Customer
I have read this book twice. The second time, I brought myself to do the workbook in the back and realized how to read this book. Read morePublished on February 28, 2013 by philblue3