Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 490 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 520 reviews
on August 4, 2016
I love this movie, it has become one of my favorites. This is the type of movie that you want to watch many times. A heart warming story about an adorable little boy and a very nice looking soldier, (Johnny Messner) this guy is "gorgeous". I like Hallmark movies, I am so sick of the garbage on TV and movie theaters. This soldier falls in love with the little boy and his Mom. It was great to have Stephanie Powers in the movie too. I am so
happy to have found this movie, saw it on the Hallmark channel, and purchased it from Amazon. Trust me, you will love it..
on May 29, 2013
I like good clean movies (or as clean as you can get nowadays). Soldier Love Story was really quite clean. There was no language, violence, drugs or drinking. There was cleavage and kissing and two people speak of the pain of divorce; a boy's dad who is divorced from the boy's mother is supposed to visit him but bails out and the boy is hurt. It is not rated and the Dove Foundation gave it a five star and approved it for all ages.

I enjoyed the movie and will watch it again. I originally saw this movie on Hallmark Channel and then bought the DVD. Most people would skip it because they think it is too predictable or "lame", but I like movies like that because I know I will be watching something that won't make me feel like I have just been "slimed".

I really enjoyed how after Jarod wrote to Vince in Bosnia (the first letter since his wife left him over two years ago) Vince really takes to the boy and when he returns home seeks him out and offers to help him play baseball. Jared takes to Vince immediately, since Jarod's own father can't bother to call or come see his son. Vince and Dana, Jarod's Mom, are immediately attracted to one another and as this new "family" draws together and Vince gets his orders to be deployed, Jarod helps his Mom and Vince realize that instead of breaking up they would be happier if they stayed together, because then she would know that he would be coming back to her and he would have someone to go back to.

It was a very good show, and the only reason I didn't rate it a 5 star was because I couldn't completely get into the story because I can't imagine having to send someone off to war and not see them for a year or more. The ending was a little sad having to send him off. However, I like how it shows the need for a family and how love can make a big difference. It brings in the need to trust in God and that he has a plan for you. And it didn't need to bring in anything immoral. They had good family values.

Overall, I liked this movie and will watch it again.
on November 29, 2012
This movie has to be one of the best I have seen in a very long time and I watch movies all the time. I can't tell you how many times I have seen it and never get tired of
watching. The story of love that comes unexpectantly to two very deserving people is so
heart warming. No sex or violence. A little splash of faith, just enough to let the viewer know people still believe and teach their children to trust. This love story is so rare in this day. I too, like another reviewer, wish there could be a sequel. The
continuation of a life with so much love and respect for each other. Vince having to leave Dana and Jared when he has finally found the woman and yes, the son, he wants to spend the rest of his life with. The fact that they could part for a year without marriage or consummation of their relationship of a sexual nature made this more endearing to me. As I said, love and respect. The movie did get me to thinking about the many soldiers who are serving abroad and have no one to write to them. Perhaps the people reading this might find out how to correspond with one of them. It doesn't have to end in a love story but would be so nice to have a friendship come about. I'm going to start on that myself. My son was a disabled veteran and passed away two years ago. I'll do it in his memory. Watch this movie. I guarantee you will not regret it. You'll get hooked too. May I add something please. Someone who reviewed this commented on the southern dialect of Vince. Remember he said his daddy worked on oil rigs. That's Gulf coast territory. Southern accents are a little more pronounced. I really don't think he overdid it. I'm a southern gal and found it to be just right. He really is a charmer isn't he.
on May 9, 2017
I am stunned at the high marks for this movie on Amazon reviews. I am an experienced movie reviewer and this one is dreadful. I like clean romances, so I was anxious to see it, but it was a big disappointment. The first problem, not directly related to the film, is that Amazon puts the ending on the front cover of their DVD's which drives me crazy. In terms of the movie itself, the acting is awful...even gagging at times. I guess this is classic Hallmark standards, but I've seen several Hallmark movies where the acting is very good ("The magic of Ordinary Days" or "The Love Letter"). But in this one, Laughlin is fake perfect, unrealistically smiling all the time. Messner isn't too bad, but needs some work...and he is not a baseball pro. Watch how he throws the ball! The kid needs acting help, though he tried, and Stephanie Powers gave a sub par performance. The military acting was unrealistic, for the most part, as well. The plot has little suspense to it as you know how it will end from early on. I must qualify that the plot had potential if the acting was better. The movie summary talks about it being a faith-based movie, but the Christian impact was minimal and very shallow, and, of course, the name of Jesus is outlawed. This was a low budget movie...you get what you pay for. I appreciate the clean angle, but it couldn't bail out this one. I give it a 2.1.
on June 2, 2017
Fun family movie. Shows how silly and potentially permanent a poor decision can be.
VINE VOICEon July 29, 2010
"Soldier Love Story" is an excellent heartfelt film. Most movies that involve the armed forces are about battles, war, and dying. Seldom do movies outline the personal life of our armed forces. "Soldier Love Story" fills that need.

In "Soldier Love Story" Lori Loughlin plays Dana Marshall, a young professional and single parent who went through a divorce and has custody of her 10 yr old son, Jared. Starting their new life, they move 1600 miles from the only home Jared has ever known.
Dana and Jared Marshall move in with Dana's mother played by Stephanie Powers. For a school assignment Jared writes to Sergeant Vince Carerra (played by Johnny Messner). Sergeant Carerra writes the boy back and a positive relationship flowers.
During Sargent Carerra's leave he meets Jared and coaches him in baseball.
Jared is a ten year old boy whose dad doesn't even remember his birthday, so the Sergeant's attention helps the boy's self esteem, and catches the mother's attention.

Vince and Dana start to fall in love but since Vince is going to deploy and lost his wife on his last deployment, they consider just being friends. The threat to this budding family seems to be the tendency of the military to deploy to foreign lands without considering the family. "Soldier Love Story" shows a healthy way families may survive separation.

The Soldier Love Story" presents a slice of life that military families know well. The uncertainty that exist during a long war and its effect on families is seldom understood by civilians and politicians. This film pleasantly presents those problems. I highly recommend this movie.
55 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2013
I never saw Soldier Love Story on the Hallmark Channel. Received an email from Amazon (thank you Amazon!) about the movie, and after seeing it was rated five stars, decided to purchase it. I am so glad I did! What a great love story! I have watched it over and over again. That's how much I love this movie. By now everyone knows it's about a single mother and her young son... and an army sargeant whose lives are all transformed by love. The performances are outstanding and it was good seeing Stefanie Powers back on the small screen.

I really appreciate the spiritual aspect of the movie as well. And note to parents: you can actually sit your children in front of this movie...leave the room...and not need an exorcist by the time you come back in!

I would love to see a sequel to Soldier Love Story, but I think too much time has passed for that. But I plan to continue enjoying this one. I think it's a real treasure.
on May 16, 2010
A Soldier Love Story is an awesome movie. I have watched it over ad over on the Hallmark Channel. Dana and Vince are a great couple together and Jared just adds that magic touch. Vince and Jared are great pen pals and great friends. The bond between them is real. They show great compassion in a true friendship. I hope that a sequeal is in the works.
on April 21, 2013
Took me a while to find this movie because I was looking for the Hallmark Channel movie 'Meet My Mom. When perusing the Hallmark Movies on Amazon I noticed the actors on the cover looked familiar and read the description. Sure enough - this is Meet My Mom, a movie I try to catch when it's on either the Hallmark Channel or Hallmark Movie Channel. Now, I can watch it anytime and without commercials at a great sale price. This is one of a handful of inexpensive movies which I picked to get up to the $25 for Amazon Free Shipping . I ended up with 5 really good DVD items containing 11 movies and 22 TV episodes all for a price between $25 - $30. So, make a list of the TV shows and movies you like and go shopping on Amazon . You'll have no problem coming up with a bunch of movies and/or books (new and used) which qualify for the Free Shipping).
on August 23, 2017
Love family movies. This one was great.