Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 418 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 516 reviews
on July 24, 2016
I've used this stove on multiple camping trips over the past 18 months. It has performed remarkably well. Despite being treated very roughly, it performs the same as it did the first day. I've never had trouble finding wood to burn. Once heated, this thing burns wood quickly and cleanly. This is very little ash left over, almost all of the wood is burned. Just make sure you have a lot of sticks and twigs handy because this thing eats wood fast.

My only gripe, and this is minor, is the pot holder fits rather loosely into the top of the stove. I wish it was designed to "click" into place, to make the entire arrangement more secure when stowed in a backpack or other container. As it is, stored in the provided bag or in your own storage bag, it rattles around.
review image
on April 2, 2017
Totally exceeded my expectations. Boiled a liter of water in about 5 minutes (roughly; I wasn't actually timing it). Burns whatever twigs and such you find lying around, so it's not like building a campfire where you really have to have good firewood; this is just little kindling that is much easier to find. Once you get it started, it burns really hot, so it's easy to keep it fed. I travel to my backpacking destinations a lot, and since you can't fly with stove fuel, I got tired of having to find someplace to buy some every time I landed. Not a problem any more. BTW, it fits exactly inside the pot of the GSI Soloist cookset, right where I used to keep a can of fuel and my MSR Pocket Rocket.
on January 19, 2017
I'm gonna give this little stove a 5 because it pretty much spared my fingers and toes from frostbite on an overnight run to Mt. Marcy's Summit on New Years Eve 2016/2017. I received it the afternoon of my trip to the trail head which was 5 1/2 hours from me and I had to test it in the field right out the box. I can confidently say this baby will burn strong if you have the right tinder. So as a rule for any backpacking I never venture out without cotton balls, Vaseline and matches or a lighter.

Side Note: Alder wood chips burn true once you get a good burn little to no smoke and you can cook and boil whatever in a couple minutes I never had to wait for my brew to get hot! Very compact light and discreet. Fits right into your traditional camp cookware... the rangers will never know you had a fire going strong at the campsite! Awesome Lil Wood Stove!!
on December 22, 2012
I have tried many backpacker cooking solutions since the 1960'a and this is second only to the no longer available Zebco propane burner burner top on a 1lb canister for reliable cooking. Some pressurized white gas stoves can beat it in time to boil (like the Coleman unit that weighs 4lbs) but you won't be doing a cleaning or repair operation by LED light in a downpour. The Solo has no parts to break or clog. If there are any fallen limbs or twigs you will have cooked food.
I tested the Solo Stove at 45F, 850 feet elevation in wind gusts up to 30 MPH with 1.5 quarts of water in an uncovered 2 quart heavy kitchen aluminum sauce pan and no wind shielding (not trail equipment). Got the water to a full boil in less than 20 minutes. Fuel was twigs picked up from my yard after an inch of rain the previous day. No dried or split wood was used, only twigs that I could break to size by hand. The Solo is not smokeless but it is very low smoke compared to a firepit or most other wood stoves. Your pots and pans will get blackened.
I have used Primus and other white gas stoves that did not do any better. Even a backpacker propane stove will take 12 to 15 minutes to boil water under these conditions. Butane stoves are more reliable than white gas but fall off in effectiveness as the temperature gets close to freezing where they stop working.
It takes 8 to 10 minutes to get a a solid fire going in the Solo. This stove requires nearly continuous feeding of small twigs to maintain full heat output but it only took 4 to five handfuls of twigs to get started and bring the water to a boil. 25 minutes later the stove was only warm to the touch and only ashes were left. All the fuel had been consumed.
Unlike most other backpacker twig stoves, the Solo stove is double walled construction. The outside will not get hot enough to create a risk of starting a forest fire. No burning embers will drop through to the ground. So it is not necessary to find a large rock or other inflammable surface to set the stove on (I have a folding rocket type twig stove with a grated bottom that can only be used on rock surfaces).
This won't beat my Zebco propane burner top for speed or ease of use. But at 8 oz versus 3lbs it is certainly more packable and you won't run out of fuel or have an equipment failure.
A couple of hints for for real world backpack cooking:
1. Always use a wind shield. Make one from three 18-24 inch metal rods and some heavy duty aluminum foil. This is bigger, lighter and cheaper than buying the manufactured ones. This is strongly recommended with all types of stoves.
2. The best fire starter is a cotton ball wiped in Vaseline petroleum jelly. It will start from a single good spark and burn 3 - 5 minutes. Plus, you only add a couple of ounces to your backpack counting the striker.
77 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2012
I just received my Solo Stove from amazon and couldn't be happier. The thing does everything it's supposed to do and more. Let me start by saying that there was an address issue on my end and my stove got returned. The fine people at Solo Stove mailed it back to me as soon as they received it. Their customer service is top notch!

As for the stove itself, it's really easy to use and reduces twigs to basically nothing. Once you get it going good it will dry out and burn moist sticks as well. I was able to boil 2 cups of water in well under 10 minutes which is nice. I was also amazed at how well it meshed with my current system. I have been using a GSI Soloist and a mini trangia alcohol stove for my outings but really wanted a stove that I could gather fuel instead of carry it. The Solo Stove is perfect for the job. It fits right down into my GSI pot and the trangia fits inside of it so now I have dual stove capability when backpacking with barely any extra weight. I don't have to carry the windscreen or the pot stand for my alcohol stove anymore either because it fits down inside the Solo Stove.

The value of this stove can't be beaten either. Comparable stoves sell for well over 100 dollars and aren't made to the quality that this one is. This stove is as solid as they come and still very light weight. I am very happy with my purchase and recommend it highly.
on May 12, 2015
This fits in side my Esbit cook pot with the little frying pan lid like it was custom made. My alcohol stove fits neatly inside of the wood stove, and replaces my windscreen. I've only tested this at home but I have been very impressed. It just takes a few leaves and twigs to boil enough water for coffee or dehydrated meals, and things that need longer cook times are now on my menu.
I tried starting a fire with wet wood and leaves and found that a solid fuel tab will get a fire going and after it's going, wet sticks burn without much trouble. Cotton balls dipped in Vaseline work well, too.

I used this for a month on the Appalachian Trail. It was great not having to carry fuel. During a long period of heavy rain, finding fuel was impossible. I just flipped the stove over and burnt fuel tabs with the windscreen for coffee and meals. I used cotton balls soaked in Vaseline or those cheap little Coghlan's fuel tab/firestarters (two dozen for four bucks) to get a fire started in a reasonable time. The little fuel tabs come in very handy both for fire starting and as an alternative fuel source.
Soot on my cook pot wasn't much of a problem as I kept the cook set in a mesh bag.
on September 24, 2016
I have used a MSR pocket rocket for over a decade and was interested in an alternative approach as I am tired of trying to figure out just how much fuel is left in the 4 partially-used canisters I have laying around. After doing a bit of research, I stumbled across the Solo Stove. I did a lot of research and it seemed like a good stove at a good price.
Today, I was finally able to get it out and play with it. I collected a huge pile of small sticks and got the fire started amazingly easy. It probably helps that we're in a drought. After a minute or two, the inner air holes looked like jets of flame and I could tell that the stove was well-designed. I let the stoke build up a nice amount of coals (maybe 3 minutes?), then put the top ring in place. This is a good time to remind you to save a nice, small stick to use as a fire poker. The cut-out hole in the side is a fine size to add more twigs to keep things burning.
I wasn't going to waste the fire, so I percolated some coffee (GSI percolator, 3 cup size) and it was ready faster than the stovetop trials I had previously done. It really took a surprisingly small amount of wood to get started and maintain the fire. Now, I have a big pile of twigs for my next 3-4 runs for the stove.
In all, good price for an easy, well-engineered wood-burning stove. This will be in my hiking kit for years to come!
review image
on July 11, 2017
After testing several stoves this has become my favorite.

There is a trade off between bulk, weight and boil time with lightweight backpacking stoves. This stove is clearly more bulky than several pack flat stoves out there, but boil time and weight are unbeatable.

My preference is for wood as a heat source, living in a heavily wooded region. It takes but a handful of twigs to boil a cup of water for a hot beverage or dehydrated food.

On a prolonged trip I might consider one of the pack flat stoves for reasons of space but if there is room in my pack, this stove is my first choice.
on July 5, 2016
I have the typical "collection" of backpacking stoves but got this one for a trip with my 12 year old son. I figured it would help keep him engaged. It did (with supervision of course) He loves this thing! He wants to cook all the meals. He could sit there for hours feeding it sticks.

It is small but very light weight. It fits (in its stuff sack) inside a GSI Pinnacle Soloist cookset. I can nest my Trangia alcohol stove in there too (as a backup) I like the GSI cookset for this kit for its locking handle which holds the lid closed making a very nice kit. I only wish the Snow Peak 450 double wall mug nested in there too. then we would have perfection (listening product development?)

We like this unit so much, I'm thinking of getting the "camp fire" version for car camping and at the beach.
on April 12, 2013
So, I really like the stove, it is well made. I took a star off because it is a tad heavy (compared to the light version of the Bush Buddy). I'd say the main issues I have sen in terms of operation are the practical need to feed fuel through the awkward opening (obviously doable but not elegant) and the big one is the three point pot rest. Solo Stove makes a big deal out of the inherent stability of a three point stove support. I must take issue with this: While an argument can be made that a 4 point system is prone to pan wobble if the bottom of the pot/pan is not flat . . . the bigger and more common issue is that the amount of a given container that is cantilevered out away from the supports is GREATER with a three point design. Following advice I have read online, I have been careful to ensure the stove is placed on a stable flat surface . . . but the Solo Pot 900 is not rock solid atop the stove, and it's diameter is only slightly larger than the stove (they nest nicely).

I guess I am conflicted. I am now very aware of the slick marketing (many reviews here were apparently paid for with product), especially with Solo stove ads following me to most of the commercial websites I visit. Because this stove is so obviously a copy of someone else's design . . . I'd suggest that those who can afford the real thing and/or want the option of a lighter version should hop over to the less sophisticated Bush Buddy website and consider supporting those guys first. If you are on a budget or don't really care who made your stove (or where), misgivings and critique aside, this is still a solid unit in terms of construction and operation.