Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

• Customer Reviews

Showing 1-10 of 1,385 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,623 reviews
on December 16, 2010
I was a little worried about this one because of a bad (weak coffee) experience w/ the My K-Cup, but this product worked remarkably well! I didn't think it was difficult to clean using the spray nozzle on the faucet. Also, be careful not to use super fine grounds (as suggested on the package). They will plug up the mesh and result in a half brew of coffee so strong it can not be consumed! Kirkland 100% Columbian-fine ground works well, however.
11 comment| 246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2011
It does what it's supposed to. I have a few grumbles, however.
First, of the 4 I bought, on 2 the caps did not close very well, and it would tend to pop open. But it's okay when you pop it in for brewing.
Second, it does not stand on its own on the counter, so you have to hold it while you are filling it - it would be nice to be able to just have it stand on its own.
Third, if the coffee ground is too fine, such as espresso grounds, then the filter plugs and does not work at all.
Fourth, the mini well at the bottom does not clean easily, and the grounds tend to stick in there.
1717 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 31, 2011
This is a good way to help the environment, save money (especially since k-cup prices have gone up), and use your own coffee (like buying it at Costco). It's certainly not as convenient as using actual k-cups, but it's not as much trouble and waste as brewing a regular cup of coffee the old fashioned way.

The issues I have with it are the price and "build quality". For the price, the "build quality" seems lacking. The hinge that holds the top on seems quite flimsy and the whole unit is relatively light-weight. Because of these I'm knocking off one star.

Tip: We weren't happy when we ground our own beans with a cheap blade grinder. We bought a "Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder" and it made a significant difference.

UPDATE 2011-10-13: I'm reducing this to 3 stars. Two silicon o-ring seals have broken on 2 units and I couldn't find that additional ones that are easily available. Over time, this will probably happen to you too. Also, on one of my Solofills the cap broke off. I trashed that one... but it seems as though there may now be a "new and improved" design with an extra wide heavy-duty hinge, so that would be a definite improvement.

UPDATE 2011-10-13: I found out that you can buy 2 silicon o-rings for about $4 including shipping from the Solofill website.

UPDATE 2011-11-06: I recently tried the Ekobrew Refillable K-Cups and have to say those are the best. 5 stars for those.

UPDATE 2013-01-25: I've discovered this product which I give 5 stars because it works best: Brew and Save Refillable K Cup for Keurig Brewers, 2 Count
on December 24, 2012
I used 3 different reusable K-cups during the life of my Keurig brewer, as buying the prepacked k-cups (while convenient) were simply too expensive for a coffee drinker of my volume. The Solofill was the ideal blend of economic return, ease of use, and lack of mess of all 3, though it did not give as robust a flavor as the Perfect Pod Holster/EZ Cup Filter combo from ARM Enterprises. The Solofill is easy to load, pretty much as its picture implies you pop the cap, load the grind and push down till it audibly snaps into place. You don't want to pack the grinds too tightly or the flow is impeded and back-pressure caused by that will damage your Keurig. The best advice I can give is to lightly pack the grinds so that the cap snaps into place without effort, and then brew according to your preferred taste Since I prefer stronger coffee I typically used the lowest setting on my Keurig and then reloaded and ran another for a mug's worth of coffee.

This is where the economic factor came heavily into play for me. Preloaded K-cups for my tastes brew only a worth while 6 oz coffee, which is half of one of my mugs. I would have to run two k-cups to get what I considered a decent cup of coffee, and while there are a lot of good quality coffees for the Keurig, I still had to run 2 k-cups to get a satisfying mug's worth. The cases of K-cups come in typically 24/36/48 count at proportional increase in cost with only modest savings as you increase their count, if you use more than 4 k-cups a day, you can see where the cost of that adds up in a hurry. I would go through a 48 count box in around 5-6 days, and after around 3 months of this the cost of my #1 beloved drink, I had to find a cheaper alternative. By going to this Solofill cup, I was able to reduce my cost by 75% on average and I was able to grind my own beans and use them which also enhanced the flavor. IMHO the prepackaged k-cups are for the affluent, businesses, or those who only drink a cup or two a day.

Cleanup is about as easy as it gets, you pop the lid and dump the contents into your garbage disposal, rinse let air dry with the occassional soak in a mild detergent solution. Some complain about the clumping of grinds in the little nipple on the bottom, but I just kept a chopstick handy and never had issue. Here's where the environmentally conscious can wade into the convenience of the Keurig with zero guilt, there are no plastic k-cups piling up a landfill, should you want to recycle your grinds its a easy matter to dump the majority of the spent grinds in a can and use in some creative manner. The gadget is also very sturdy, the plastic is BPA free and the mesh is stainless steel, you're unlikely to need to replace this for a very long time even with heavy use like I put it through (on average 10-16 cycles per day for over a year).

Finally, you get to use your own coffee and if you're as picky as I am about the source/beans of your coffee, this makes using the Keurig practical, economical and convenient for a broad range of coffee drinkers.
The Solofill cup is a must-have for any Keurig owner. I love coffee but my wife doesn't. So cup at a time is much more economical than making an entire pot only to dump it out. Still those k-cup costs can add up, and some of the best gourmet coffees aren't available in k-cup form. I did purchase Keurig's filter for individual coffee grounds but the results fell way short. The coffee was weak and it required changing out some hardware on the brewer. I used it a few times and it was just too much of a hassle to produce bad coffee.

The solofill product is outstanding with some real engineering behind its design. There's a lot of little details the manufacturer put into this thing, like a snapping lid with a rubber gasket to keep it water tight. I brewed a cup of some Kona coffee (the real 100% stuff from Hawaii) and the results were comparable to my larger drip pot and french press.

If you're looking to use your own grounds on a Keurig machine, this is the product to get. No question about it.
on February 29, 2012
i just got my keurig special edition about a month ago and i had almost given up on having a decent cup of coffee because the kcups all taste weird to me (except the folgers columbian blend). anyhow i was so frustrated with all these expensive different coffees that i thought were supposed to be the best when in reality all they are are weird combinations of awful coffee( my opinion). finally i got the solofil and it is perfect for my regular cafe bustelo ($4-6 a pack) , the only issue i can see is that it takes longer to brew and makes a splash as it comes out, but worth it for the easy cup of coffee!!!

UPDATE:
i just wanted to update everyone and say that i love this!!!!! it works perfect and i love my coffee in the morning now!!!!!
on August 12, 2011
I have other K cup refills I got as a stocking stuffer when I got my KCup maker. Those are a little harder to refill and keep clean. Oh and you have to take the darn kcup maker cup holder thing apart while watching out for the needle. It was a hassle so I hardly ever used those. I decided to buy this, it was a whole lot easier to refill and put in my kcup maker. The only reason why I give it 4 stars instead of 5 is because I haven't been able to master packing the coffee to give it the strength I'm used to with regular kcups. Other than that it is a good replacement for kcups and to use the coffees I like.
VINE VOICEon May 20, 2011
At last a k-cup unit that allows me to use my favorite Eight O'Clock coffee in my Keurig. K-cups have gone up in price since I bought my Keurig 2-years ago and since they are made of plastic (non-recyclable in our area), the spent ones are disposed of in the regular trash. The first unit I bought two years ago is very cumbersome and difficult to use. The Solofill mimics the size of a k-cup and all you have to do it fill it with your favorite ground coffee and brew. Solofills can be washed in the dishwasher. A great invention!
on May 29, 2013
I tried this and the brew and save to compare them. One of my favorite kcup flavors was discontinued so I wanted another option as it is still available in the whole bean version. I found this solo fill version works better - the flavor is definitely stronger comparing both products filled. I do like the fact that the brew and save has a flat bottom making it easier to fill than the solo fill, however, the coffee it makes is weaker. I don't get any grounds in my cup. In addition, it's very easy to clean. I highly recommend this as a good alternative to pre-packaged kcups.
on July 16, 2011
After using my basic/original K-Cup brewer for about 4-1/2 years,I finally decided to try out the Solo Cup. It worked as advertised. I used a high-end Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee I bought while in Jamaica and ground at the setting for my Cuisinart Brewer. The coffee brewed was exceptional. Probably won't use this cup on a continuous basis, but it expands the possibilities of using different types of beans and roasts. This item arrived 2 days before the scheduled delivery date. Way to go Amazon!