Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

• Customer Reviews

on December 14, 2010
As a huge fan of Keurig brewing, I was delighted to discover Solofill cups! I have been using mine for a couple months and love the versatility and the ease of using this Kcup replacement. Unlike the "My Kcup" holder that you can use with most Keurig machines, this little gem pops right in without having to remove the pod holder from the brewer.

The Solofill takes about 2 tablespoons of coffee and that's the main appeal of this. You can use your own ground coffee instead of always having to buy the pricey pre-filled Kcups. It makes a great cup of coffee and allows users to buy any kind of coffee they please. Some users have complained about cleaning the Solofill. I find it easy. Just tap the cooled coffee grounds on the edge of your trash receptacle and most will fall out. Then rinse it out and it's ready to go again. I keep two handy so I can be using one and cleaning the other. I see this little invention as a great way to save money and have options as to the kinds and types of coffee you want to use.
710 people found this helpful
|4141 comments|Report abuse
I am a coffee snob and an engineer, so please read this review in that context. It's a little geeky and long, but hopefully you can benefit from my semi-scientific "study" of reusable/refillable K-cup filters such as this Chrome Solofill (and its equivalent in gold, Solofill Cup K3 - Reusable K-Cup for Keurig Single Cup Brewers - Gold). Given all the options out there, someone had to do this, especially since this item is now widely available in BJ's Wholesale Club retail outlets (two-pack for $19.99) and thus its use will soon become more widespread.

Background: The only brands of K-Cups currently produced that even come CLOSE to satisfying me are Starbucks and Peet's, and even these now supermarket-distributed brands of coffee can be slaughtered by tons of other excellent local (and online-distributed) roasters that are not sold in K-cups. Even at Costco, which has the lowest price I have even seen for Starbucks' K-Cups, the box of 54 units (usually Pike Place, Cafe Verona or House Blend) are priced at $34.99 (=$0.65/cup). Once in a while that box goes on in-store sale at $29.99, so that makes it 14% better at $0.56/cup. But it's still just ONE blend of ONE brand, so that's still too expensive given the lack of variety. After spending time and effort (and $) trying to find some less expensive prepackaged coffees packaged in K-Cup "knock-off" pods that have found a workaround to Green Mountain's K-cup design patent, I still hadn't found my solution, as the coffees sold in these wanna-be K-cups were uniformly insipid. I gladly threw out all of the knock-offs, as some the coffees weren't even palatable right out of the box, while others became very stale almost immediately after removal from the vacuum packs due to the non-airtight paper mesh filter design. Clearly, I had to find a way to use a variety of my own high-quality whole-bean coffees in the Keurig.

First Search: My quest naturally began with Keurig itself. In the past, I had sporadically used Keurig's own "My K-Cup" THREE-PIECE refillable grey filter unit to brew my own coffee, but the design was poor, too cumbersome to use and too time-consuming to clean...plus I always misplaced the parts. To elaborate, one piece is the top, one is the filter itself, and the third is the exterior funnel-like housing that the filter gets placed in and the top gets screwed onto. So first, I needed to remove the standard black K-cup holder insert, then fill the My K-Cup screen filter with ground coffee, then place the filter into the outer housing, wipe the top, then finally screw the top on. I eventually did find a perfect grind for this filter, and the top DOES screw on tightly, thus preventing most, but not all, grinds from ending up in my cup (a water input hole on the top is nearly flush with the top, and still allows some grinds to get pushed out and into the finished product). Worse, I had three pieces to clean. While this was inconvenient, I was willing to deal with it in order to brew a great cup. Still, I didn't use it that often. At any rate, I suspected that someone had invented a better reusable filter than this by now.

First Conclusion: Third-party multi-use ONE-PIECE screened filters that can be placed directly into the existing Keurig black insert were the best way to enable me to buy great whole bean coffee and brew it in the Keurig...and to do it efficiently, cleanly and without the need to chase down misplaced parts.

Preliminary Research: I got some background by reading a lot of previous reviews on these 1-piece units. I'll admit, some reader reviews regarding their inadequacy (or worse, adequacy!) when attempting to use pre-ground coffee scared me. First, other than saving money (nope, a power failure would preclude operating the Keurig anyway), there is simply no reason to use pre-ground coffee in ANY home brewing method. People deserve better than that. In my experience, even cheap ($25) grinders and lousy beans produce a better cup than nearly all pre-ground coffees. Unless you are drinking a LOT of coffee quickly, or you buy VERY small amount of pre-ground, or are not picky at all, these coffees should occupy a very small place in your world. Worse, the refillable units that DID work well with pre-ground coffee probably weren't aiming at true coffee-lovers, hence must have been poorly designed, or were simply designed for mass sales. Nothing wrong with that (it's a free world), and I did find one of those units in my study.

What really puzzled me, however, was that some reviewers who ground their own coffee seemed to be complaining about issues that could be easily solved by changing the grind and/or compaction method. Since Keurig units are generally standardized with respect to water pump pressure, I could only attribute these "problems" to operator error, bad judgment, sloppiness or simply lack of trying...so I treated these reviews as "non-applicable". As it turned out, I was WRONG on this, as despite my best efforts, I simply could not get a great cup out of some of the 1-piece units. What does that tell you about their designs? More below.

Hypotheses & Assumptions: Given my prior experience with Keurig's My K-Cup, I already knew that all the 1-piece refillable units would be VERY sensitive to the coarseness of the grind and its compaction in the coffee charge. Obviously, there is a direct relationship between 1) the grind's coarseness, 2) permeability of the coffee charge (compaction), 3) the Keurig's pump pressure, and 4) the physical design of the capsule and filter screen ...and 1) the amount of time the water spends in contact with the coffee, hence the overall richness and quality of the brew and 2) the amount of grinds that end up in the cup. I also knew that I'd be burning through a lot of really good coffee (note that "really good" does not necessarily mean "expensive", and vice versa), but I was willing to make that sacrifice if I could save money and CONSISTENTLY drink perfect Keurig-brewed coffee.

Experiments/Results: I had already purchased a few brands of these 1-piece (top is connected to the filter, no exterior housing) screened units to test, but after I bought the K3, I bought a few more models for testing (see links below). As it turned out, there were a few common problems with these 1-piece units that became immediately obvious. The most prevalent and annoying one was that there was simply not enough screen area for the coffee to flow through given the Keurig's standard pump pressure, with the result that, even using a somewhat courser grind, the brewer built up too much pressure and the coffee dripped out VERY slowly (bad for the Keurig pump) and/or there were grinds being forced out and into my cup (bad for me). The coarser the grind I used, the better the water flowed through the filter, but predictably, this resulted in increasingly weaker cups of coffee. I own a 1-year old Keurig, so I was sure the pump was operating at the proper pressure, plus it had worked well in the past. I was getting frustrated, because in most of the units, it was very difficult to find the correct balance between grind, compaction, filter screen area, lack of grinds in the finished product, and a satisfying (to me) brew. Another problem was that, except for the Ekofill Stainless Elite, the filter screens were all manufactured from "3-dimensional" screen material, making them difficult to clean thoroughly.

Following are links to the other reusable filters that I tested, but which were inferior to the Solofill K3 models (chrome/gold). Interestingly, one of them is also made by Solofill.
Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter
Solofill Cup, Refillable Cup For Keurig K-Cup Brewers, Red
Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Cup for Keurig K-cup Brewers, Brown, 1-Count
Brew and Save Refillable K Cup for Keurig Brewers, 2 Count
Ekobrew Stainless Steel Elite Cup, Refillable K-Cup For Keurig K-Cup Brewers

The Ultimate Solution...The Solofill K3: This unit has 1) A newly-designed "2-dimensional" LARGE FLAT SCREEN AREA (higher flow rate, lower potential pressure drop, VERY easy to clean), 2) a FLAT BOTTOM (stands on the countertop, easy to fill), 3) an INDENTED AND PERFORATED WATER INLET "SHOWER" (100% coffee saturation), 4) a GASKETED COVER (prevents overflow of grinds into brew) and 5) plastic HANDLES (allows unit to be removed with bare hands while grounds are still piping hot).

As with the other refillable units, I spent a lot of time testing different grinds and filling methods. However, THIS time, due to the large screen area on the K3, and with the gasket giving me a decent margin of error if the grind was too fine (no grinds in the coffee since there was no backflow), I was able to concoct a methodology to produce consistently great coffee. In fact, as Solofill correctly claims, the coffee I now brew in my Keurig using my own beans and this K3 chrome filter actually tastes and looks like it was made in a French press. Yes, I do see some French-press-style sediment in the bottom of my cup, but this is to be expected. After all, I'm intentionally brewing precisely that type of coffee. Anyone who loves coffee knows about the crema and smooth, strong brew that result from using a press. I can absolutely live with a bit of sediment. Success!

How to brew French press-like coffee using the Keurig and the Solofill K3:
1) If you have an adjustable temp Keurig, set it for 202 degrees F (default temp). Otherwise, read on.
2) Set the cup size to the largest on your unit.
3) Grind the beans. Unlike some others have suggested in other reviews, the grind needs to be coarser than for an auto drip coffee maker, but NOT as course as for a percolator. I use a Bunn professional burr grinder (that large tall red/black one found in stores that people use to grind beans if they don't own a grinder). I have it set to "Drip" (NOT "Auto Drip", which is too fine). For those of you using the Bunn burr grinders in the supermarket, this setting is directly at 12 o'clock on the round dial. For those of you using home grinders like Krups, Cuisinart, etc, you will need to play around, but at least now you know what grind you're looking for. If you grind and tap properly, you will need 0.5 oz of coffee per cup. Hint: If you have a scale, and you find that you are using more than 0.5 oz, you are probably over-grinding, and the coffee is likely too powdery and thus over-compacted.
4) Fill the K3 with ground coffee. For a strong, but smooth, cup with no large grinds, fill the Solofill halfway with coffee, then TAP it on the counter once or twice to pack the coffee in a bit. Then fill it to the top, and TAP it again so that the level of coffee drops about 1/8" below the rim. This level is clearly noted on the inside of the filter basket. Importantly, note that the coffee should NOT be tamped down, as it needs to remain permeable so that water can flow through the coffee and then through the screen, while not overworking the pump. After all, we're not making espresso, as those machines operate at a much higher pressure, thus enabling them to force water through a less permeable coffee charge and cause even more crema (coffee oils + water emulsion) to be produced.
5) Wipe the rim COMPLETELY CLEAN of ground coffee particles.
6) Close the cover. The cover should shut TIGHTLY and be flush with the rim of the filter basket. Pinch around the perimeter of the unit to tightly seal the gasket. (I've made steps 4-6 sound like a lot of work, but this entire filling and compacting process actually takes me less than 10 seconds. It becomes second-nature after a few attempts.)
7) Brew.
9) Remove the K3, and rinse it under running water, or shake it into the garbage first, then rinse, preferably while wet. The filter screen should now be perfectly free of coffee and smooth to the touch.

(Step #8 intentionally omitted. Please fill in the blank, being sure to include the addition of any preferred dairy and/or sweetening ingredients in that step.)

Financial analysis: So what is the difference in cost between the 54 Starbucks K-cups that you can buy any day at Costco for $0.65/cup vs. my method, where you can buy ANY whole bean coffee on ANY day? You might want a weaker cup than me (adjust measure/tap accordingly), but stronger would be difficult, as not much more than 0.5 oz will fit in the K3 (of course I weighed it several times), even with more tapping. Using 0.5 oz per cup translates to 32 cups per pound. So if you buy 2 lbs of high-quality FRESH coffee beans for $17 (the kinds you can get at almost all wholesale clubs), this equates to 64 cups for $17, or $0.26 per cup (60% savings). Even if you buy only ONE pound from Starbucks/Peet's or somewhere else for $16/lb, this works out to only $0.50 per cup (23% savings). In any case, you win on multiple levels.

Because you sprung for a LITTLE extra money to buy the Solofill K3 (except at BJ's, where it is priced equivalently to most other models), you are now drinking an absolutely perfect cup of French-press style coffee with some crema, and are now able to produce it one cup at a time...using your OWN super-high-quality coffee...while spending much less per cup than the highest-quality prepackaged K-cups...and with very little effort and cleanup.
-Marco
173 people found this helpful
|1717 comments|Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 31, 2011
This is a good way to help the environment, save money (especially since k-cup prices have gone up), and use your own coffee (like buying it at Costco). It's certainly not as convenient as using actual k-cups, but it's not as much trouble and waste as brewing a regular cup of coffee the old fashioned way.

The issues I have with it are the price and "build quality". For the price, the "build quality" seems lacking. The hinge that holds the top on seems quite flimsy and the whole unit is relatively light-weight. Because of these I'm knocking off one star.

Tip: We weren't happy when we ground our own beans with a cheap blade grinder. We bought a "Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder" and it made a significant difference.

UPDATE 2011-10-13: I'm reducing this to 3 stars. Two silicon o-ring seals have broken on 2 units and I couldn't find that additional ones that are easily available. Over time, this will probably happen to you too. Also, on one of my Solofills the cap broke off. I trashed that one... but it seems as though there may now be a "new and improved" design with an extra wide heavy-duty hinge, so that would be a definite improvement.

UPDATE 2011-10-13: I found out that you can buy 2 silicon o-rings for about $4 including shipping from the Solofill website.

UPDATE 2011-11-06: I recently tried the Ekobrew Refillable K-Cups and have to say those are the best. 5 stars for those.

UPDATE 2013-01-25: I've discovered this product which I give 5 stars because it works best: Brew and Save Refillable K Cup for Keurig Brewers, 2 Count
10 people found this helpful
on September 14, 2012
I did alot of research before buying cups to replace the 'My k-cup' that comes with Keurig. Their 'My K-cup' did not have enough thought put into it in order to make it a great item...and perhaps they did this so people would continue to purchase single use, throw-away k-cups, rather then using your own ground coffee in your own reusable k-cup! I researched both the Ekobrew Cup and the Solofill Cup and then bought both and they are BOTH great! They both take about 2 tablespoons of your own ground coffee which surprised me since the Solofill is overall smaller then the Ekobrew but that is only the design. If you fill to the line they recommend for maximum...they used the same amount! And Even though some reviewers said otherwise...they BOTH empty easily. The Solofill when you fill it with coffee must be held due to it not being flat at the bottom like the Ekobrew. Unlike the My K-cup from Keurig, these Cups have hinged lids so when you are done brewing and want to empty the grounds, simply turn the cup upside down and tap a couple times on the counter...shake it, open, dump in your recycle/compost bin, rinse the cups for reuse. Periodically put in dishwasher.

For us, we use the tallest setting, 12 oz, and it's perfect strength. To get a stronger cup, we push 'brew' and once the coffee begins to stream out, we hold up the handle just a little bit so that the coffee stops dripping out...then we wait about 30 seconds or more...so the coffee can brew a bit longer in the water, then we let the handle back down. The rest of the coffee comes out and it's a bit stronger then if we let it just pour through without the PAUSE. Everyone has different coffee tastes so it's fun to sample different ounces in your coffee mug. I actually find i can run a tiny cup following the 12oz cup and thus fill my travel mug to the top...using the same k-cup. My husband does not do this but I like to put creamer and mocha flavoring in my coffee so having an extra tall cup is plenty strong enough for me. I also use half regular coffee and half decaf by alternating the 4 - half tablespoons i use... one coffee, one decaf, one coffee, one decaf. YUM!

Ekobrew or Solofill cups....we heartily recommend either of these 'k-cup' replacements for equally great coffee!
3 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon March 7, 2013
Since I bought my Keurig B60 last year, I have mostly used prepared coffee Kcups. However, I was gifted some flavored ground coffee for my birthday last fall, so I bought this Solofill Cup to use with that. It worked fairly well, though it did leave some grounds in my cup, which I find really unpleasant. The prepared Kcups rarely ever leave grounds in my cup.

While I haven't yet bought Kcups for tea because I already have a lot of tea bags, I do sometimes use the Solofill Cup in my Keurig to prepare my tea by putting a teabag (I use Twinings English Breakfast) into the Solofill Cup. When I make my tea by heating up water and then steeping my teabag in the hot water, I NEVER get remnants of the tea leaves in the cup (at least not with this brand of tea); however, for some reason, when I use the same brand of teabag in the Solofill Cup and Keurig, I DO get remnants of the tea leaves in my cup.

In both cases (using ground coffee or a storebought teabag in the Solofill Cup), there aren't a SUBSTANTIAL number of grounds/tea leaves in my cup, but it is enough to be annoying. I have not had any trouble (as some mentioned) with the coffee spilling out of the Keurig during brewing or any other brewing problems than above. However, I do find that flip-top lid of the Solofill cup doesn't always want to close securely. This isn't ALWAYS a problem, but it has been sometimes and perhaps that is what is causing some peoples' problems with brewing. I always make sure the lid is secure before I put it in the Keurig. For some reason, the Keurig seems to take longer in brewing when using the Solofill Cup than when using a K-Cup, even when all it's brewing is a storebought teabag.

I find the Solofill Cup convenient to use and to clean (I just rinse it off under running water and then put on a mat to dry). For those who want the convenience of the Keurig but not the cost of buying all those K-cups, the Solofill cup provides a nice middle ground, allowing them to use their own ground coffee in the Keurig.

The packaging indicates that the Solofill Cup is BPA free and dishwasher safe. Note that there is a maximum fill level mark on the cup and that overfilling or underfilling the cup may cause problems. The box says it works great for loose leaf tea, but that you should not use fine espresso grind coffee as it will clog the mesh filter in the cup.

My rating for this product is 3 1/2 stars (rounded to 4 as Amazon doesn't permit 1/2 stars) for its convenience, ease of use and cleaning. I took off 1 1/2 stars for the product leaving grounds/tea leaves in the cup and for the cap not always securing properly.
One person found this helpful
on August 15, 2012
I was looking for a reusable cup for my Keurig B-130. There are a number of competing reusable k-cups in the market, but many do not work with the B-130 (I originally bough and Ekobrew Refillable cup without looking carefully at the supported machines list). The Keurig My K-Cup had poor reviews for overflowing and some other brands used "reusable paper" cups. After trial and error with the Ekobrew and subsequent research, I bought a Solofill Cup and have been very happy with it. I've been using with a bag of ground Dunkin Donuts coffee. The strength is fine for me, perhaps a bit stronger than some would like, but you don't have to fill to the max line. There is a very small amount of coffee residue that gets pushed through. Not so much that it bothers me. A more coarse, professional grind from a good coffee shop or expensive coffe grinder (less coffee "dust" that you get with cheap grinds) would likely help. But considering that I'm using a large bag of inexpensive coffee ground for drip machines, I find it does a decent job. For the better stuff, I would buy from and grind at a good coffee seller or buy the k-cups. For a decent inexpensive morning wake-me-up, a grocery store drip grind is fine.

If you have the Keurig B-130, it is important that you buy the newer Solofill Cup Decaflow Plus. The older version will not work with the Keurig B-130. If buying from Amazon, be sure to read the product description as the product title doesn't make it clear whether you are looking at the newer or older version.
2 people found this helpful
on July 29, 2014
Summary:
I have filtered 1000+ cups of coffee out of the Solofill Cup (SFC). That may sound a little lofty, but being the coffee connoisseur that I am, in college, and having a roommate who should be filed as a dependent by The Folgers Coffee Company [TM], I calculate a conservative average of 2 cups per day multiplied by the number of day's I've owned this, I arrive at ~1500 cups of coffee. Falling on the conservative side, considering periods when I'm not home using my coffee machine, I can realistically estimate 1000+ cycles.

Methods/Materials:
Considering environmental influence different people will achieve different results with this item; therefore, I feel it necessary to list my conditions of use. I originally purchased from Amazon back in 2012 at an expense of $12.50/SFC. The packaging indicates that it was made in China. I have used the same coffee machine (K40 acquired as a gift) for the life of use, and I have almost always used filtered water. The few times I used tap water I noticed a sediment build up in the water reservoir. My rental home conveniently has a reverse osmosis system at the sink, so I can justify the expense of filtered water. For almost all cups of coffee I have used the 'large cup' setting. I have used both pre-ground coffee, and I have freshly ground my coffee prior to use. To empty the SFC after use I open the lid and forcefully tap it on a flat surface. To clean it I turn it upside-down and run warm to hot tap water over it.

Results/Conclusion:
I planned on writing a review when the first SFC broke. I am approaching the 2 year anniversary of purchase and the first SFC still isn't broken! Given the price of Keurig K-Cups I estimated the SFC was well worth the price if I could get somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 cups of coffee out of it, breaking even at ~110 cups of coffee, depending on the price per pound of coffee alone. As long as you get a medium to coarse grind on your coffee the SFC performs well. Fine ground coffee will restrict flow too much to get good performance. I would highly recommend this item as an alternative to K-Cups, and perfect for limiting the amount of waste generated. In addition to saving money when used as an alternative to K-Cups, this item also helps avoiding time lost when preparing coffee in a drip style coffee maker. Further, it helps in controlling the loss of unused coffee when overproduced in coffee pots. The flavor of coffee is excellent and heavily dependent on your personal taste and brand of coffee. Strength is easily controlled with the small and large cup settings and varying the amount of coffee you place in the SFC.
3 people found this helpful
on April 25, 2013
I LOVE this Solofill refillable cup (I LOVE the EkoBrew, too!)

My coffee preferance from my Keurig "Special Edition" (I think this is the B60?):
I like my coffee full-bodied and rich, yet not so strong/bold/smokey as to have it taste like cigarette butts! YUCK
For an 8 oz cup, my favorite "k packs" are Caribou and Tully's Kona Bold.
For the larger 10 oz cup, I DO use the stronger "bold" types (ie, Emerils' Big Easy Bold, and Green Mtn's Dark Magic Bold), but only because that gives me more of a "medium" roast with the larger brew.

___

My first attempt with the Solofill went dismally BAD.
Reason?
The only "non k-cup" coffee I had at home to use for my "test" was my Mother In Law's "Maxwell House". UGH What can I say? Her generation seems to think that Maxwell House IS "real coffee". I have given up arguing. lol Poor quality coffee + too fine of a grind = a weak tasting cup of coffee and a large mouthfull of silt. Horrible. lol

____

My second attempt was PERFECT!
I had hubbie run out to Starbucks to pick up 2 coffee varieties that one of their baristas rec'd for me to try (he also uses the Solofill):

1- Get a #7 GRIND.
#1 is an espresso grind (powder fine), and would clog up your Solofill.
#4 is what most "grocery store pre-ground coffees" for multiple type brewers has (ie, Maxwell Hse fell into this category). No doubt, the #4 is toooooo fine, and is why I ended up with a mouthfull of silt!
#9 is the coarsest grind (for percolators).
So, #7 seems to fall nicely in the 'medium-coarse grind" category, I think.

2- Use the BOLDEST coffee you can, if you want at least a "medium roast" type of brew!
He rec'd that I use either:
-Sumatra, or
-Kamodo Dragon

I got BOTH. And, I loved BOTH! The Kamodo Dragon gave me a nice medium roast cup. The Sumatra provided a more full-bodied, bolder cup.

3- Use 2 Tablespoons of coffee per brew. (The Solofill gave a bit shy of 2T, whereas the larger EkoBrew gave 2 full T. The difference in "strength" of brew was non-apparent to me despite this fact.)
____
As for "ease of clean-up", given that my hubby has to make my coffee as I have a knee injury and cannot get downstairs to make it myself -- I'd rate ease of clean up an AAAA+++! haha

If I were to rate the ease of clean up by how my hubby griped about it, I guess I would say it's obviously not as easy as tossing a K cup in the trash, but come on! It can't be THAT difficult! *grin* Just tap out what you can of the coffee grounds into the trash bin, and rinse the rest out in the sink. How hard can that be? Really?

___
Overall, I LOVE the Solofill and the EkoBrew refillable cups for the Keurig brewer. If the price of the k-cup boxes were to come DOWN, I'd still prefer those (I love the ease of use/cleanup, as well as the variety of flavor choices, etc). For now, with 18 k-cup boxes going for between $10-$14 each, I'll stick with the refillables!!. :)
on February 13, 2015
It works great. Easy to clean, especially if you have a spray nozzle on your sink. Just knock most of the old grounds into the trash and spray the rest of it out in the sink. I use the same Folgers I used to drink in my regular coffee maker, and actually have less waste because I'm brewing one cup at a time now instead of a whole pot.

I have 2 issues with it:

1) I've had mine now for 8 months. At around 6 months it was so clogged it flowed to a trickle. I cleaned it with CLR (calcium lime rust remover), which seemed to work well, at least at first. However, now it's 2 months later and it's back to being clogged and slowing to a trickle.

2) So instead of cleaning every 2 months, I figured I'll buy a new one. But when I go to buy new one, and it's priced at $16.99, not the $10.99 I originally paid...a 50% price increase in less than a year. Is it worth $16.99? Hmm...I guess. But if have to buy two per year...
review image
on December 26, 2013
I have and love my keurig brewer, but where i live, there is not much supply of k-cups, i like to buy my own coffee.

I bought about 3 or 4 of this, some online some at shops.

PROS:
Lets you use your own coffee , grounded course.
More eco friendly
Cleans in a flash, or should i say splash.
You can have several so you don't need to clean them after every cup you brew.

CONs:
The lid is attached to the cup by a thin piece of plastic, not really a functional hinge, so ir will break.
If you ground your coffee to expresso , it will clot, and not drip.
If somehow, someway, drip clear water from the top. It all falls into your coffee making it thinner.

I've found this happened several times with more grounded coffee, assuming this takes more pressure to pour thru, and water pops out from the top.
The amount of coffee it holds is enough for a small to medium brew, if you plan on using large mugs, fill two of this babies.
run them one after the other.

Cleaning tip.
Leave them on your sink for a while, (to cool off) afterwards, pick it up and bang it a couple of times upside down against the counter. Just some firm taps. open the lid over the garbage can , and a pock of coffee will drop out without a hassle, rinse in the faucet, and re use. ... you may want to wash it with soap every couple of times. coffee does have grease/oils.

I later got a newer version of this, that has some laser edged film, instead of this micro screen mesh. That model, is a bit more expensive, but, holds more coffee, and is more tolerant to finer grounds.
Better yet, this guys listened to their clients, and actually changed the design to incorporate a real hinge, which snaps on or off, but does not break (at least not yet), and instead of having an odd nipple on the bottom, they increased the overall size.
I've had this for at least 6 months with our complaints.
I share the coffee maker and k-cups with my family members and statistically everyone prefers the newer model.

I hope this helps other coffee lovers.
cheers.