Pro Studio Solutions EZ-Pro 36" (90cm) Octagon Softbox with Speedring for Bowens Gemini Standard, Classica Powerpack, R, RX & Pro Series Studio Flash Units
|Price:||$94.95 + $7.58 shipping|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Assemble and disassemble in a heartbeat; great for travel
- Pro-grade, heat-resistance fabric; seal-able venting for high-powered lamp or continuous lighting source
- Features an inner baffle and an outer diffusive cover for an even light throw
- Rotation speeding ring with thumb screw lock
- 24 Month Manufacturer Warranty
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
|Item Dimensions||7 x 28 x 7 inches|
|Shipping Weight||4.6 pounds|
Compare to similar items
This item Pro Studio Solutions EZ-Pro 36" (90cm) Octagon Softbox with Speedring for Bowens Gemini Standard, Classica Powerpack, R, RX & Pro Series Studio Flash Units
|Shipping||$7.58||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||fotodiox Inc.||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Selens-Direct||Amazon.com|
|Color||Black||none||Black||Black||36 inch+Bowen Mount||Fotodiox Black|
|Item Dimensions||28 x 7 x 7 in||1 x 1 x 1 in||1 x 1 x 1 in||28 x 7 x 7 in||3.1 x 31.7 x 8.1 in||8 x 8 x 34 in|
|Style Name||Bowens||Bowens||Bowens||Alien Bee||—||—|
The EZ-Pro series of soft boxes are designed for ease of use. They are great for travelling and location photographers requiring a quick and easy setup. The softbox features a collapsible umbrella like structure with heavy duty rod support. Almost instant setup, open the softbox like an umbrella, snap the speed ring into place on the light and done! The baffle and outer diffuser can stay on the light while in storage so it's always ready to use. Tear down is a breeze too; just remove the softbox from the light and release the umbrella-like mechanism inside (if a grid is attached, remove that first), the softbox collapses right down. The diffusion panels can be kept in place during take down, they do not need to be removed before collapsing the softbox. The EZ-Pro series also come with its own carrying bag.
Compatible Strobes (not limited to):
Interfit (Stellar, X, XD, Stellar Extreme, Venus)
JTL (Versalight-D & E)
Neewer (DS & GS)
Westcott (Skylux, Strobelite Plus)
Impact brand (VC, VS & VSD)
Top customer reviews
Initially, I was hesitant to buy this Octabox because of reviews stating that the light it emits is blue. But I have not found this to be the case. The color temperature from this Octabox is perfect, not blue nor yellowish.
It is hard to open and close, but if you follow the instruction and push it against your abdomen to open and close as Fotodiox advises, it only takes a few seconds , it . Alternatively, you can place the softbox on the floor and press down on the center of the cage to open the softbox. To close it, press down in center a bit and then press in that little metal piece that sticks out and clicks when opening the umbrella. I find the first method to be easier.
I use a flash diffuser. I see a big difference in the smoothness and eveness of the light using a flash diffuser. It is much more even.
This is a great Octabox and well worth the price!
Edit: I bought #10 washers from Home Depot for the softbox's speedring mount. The washers I purchased are substantially thicker and slightly bigger than the ones that came with softbox( but still fits in the grooves) and they really hold the speedring securely.
I need to point out that I bought this and got a very high quality Bowens Mount with it. When I ordered the 12x56 softbox, it came with a total piece of junk Bownes Mount that I asked for a return. The second one had an even WORSE mount!!!! So Amazon ultimately refunded me the money I needed to buy a quality mount from Impact - which matched the one sent with my original 36" Octabox. So keep this in mind. They could be sending cheap pieces with some kits.
First the good, the ribs, seem extremely strong. The canopy is nice and heavy weight. The concept of opening like an umbrella is wonderful.
Now the bad:
1) no instructions, it's not that hard so I figured it out, but would be nice to have directions.
2) the speedring didn't fit into the octabox well. I had to kind of jam it under 1 of the permanent screws and use the screw that was meant to tighten it to hold it in, and then I attached it to my bowens adaptor which held my streaker. The give in the speedring and the weight of the softbox worried me. It ended up falling apart and the speed ring is now bent completely out of shape.
3) It was very difficult for me to open, I needed to put my full weight on it to push the runner (the part that goes up) up the rod, and over the top spring (part that keeps the umbrella open).
4) Forget about closing it, it was so hard, and the top spring is very sharp. I left it open for a few days until I closed it with a cloth covering the top spring, and again leaned on it to put enough pressure to close it down.
5) I could not get the beauty dish onto the rod of the umbrella, and I could not figure out how to use it without instructions.