Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on November 1, 2017
My husband is a chemist and he insisted on having this book. He has it in his hands all the time.
on October 7, 2002
All of these books titled "Problems and Solutions on (subject): Major American Universities Ph.D. Qualifying Questions and Solutions" are invaluable tools for a physics graduate student, in my experience.
One criticism: The index for this particular book is nonexistent. I am writing my own in my copy of the book.
If you are a student in physics, I suggest that you get your hands on these books.
10 people found this helpful
on May 29, 2015
I found this book to be quite useful in my physics thermodynamics course. Probably shouldn't have sold it but you can't keep everything! Like most of the books in this series it lacks a proper index
on September 4, 2017
The book is very useful and supportive
on April 8, 2008
The books in this series are a valuable resource for studying for PhD screening/comprehensive exams. Working through practice problems is, in my opinion, the best way to prepare for these tests. This book covers a wide range of topics, so you can find the section on whatever your thermodynamic weakness is and really work it out. Not every equation in the solutions is motivated, but working through and puzzling over the derivations is in itself extremely helpful.
on March 16, 1999
Although I do not attend one of the schools from which these questions were taken, I found it an excellent review tool nonetheless. It has a great variety of problems, and the solutions include all major steps for the most part. Sometimes steps are skipped, but if this book is used to supplement any standard text on the subject it can be a very powerful and useful tool.
5 people found this helpful
on October 28, 1999
The entire series is my savior. Each volume covers the material needed in the junior/senior level of physics. It truly has an emense selection of problems. I found that nearly all of my homework/exams were either exactly the same or merely a slight variation from one contained. I also have yet to find a single error, not even a sign error. One important thing is that it does need to be a supplement, as formulas are sometimes used without explicit reference to why. In general the reasons need to be found in an assigned text. My only gripe (and it is minor) is with the index...the index does not, in general, lead one to a relevent problem. For example, uses of Biot/Savart to solve this problem or that... The reason this is not a serious problem is that each topic has so many variations on the method/technique that it is simple enough to find at least a couple that are completely relevent. (given you know which section to look in)
9 people found this helpful
on September 4, 2011
If you're a grad student, you'll probably use this book twice: Once when studying for your qualifying exams, then again when you're writing problems for your courses to prepare future students for their qualifying exams. There are many exercises, the first part focusing on Thermodynamics, and the second on statistical physics. Beware, however, as not all solutions are correct. As with any book, work out the problem yourself, then compare, and never take the word of a solution manual. On the whole, however, there tend to be many repetitive problems.
One person found this helpful
on July 6, 2015
Hurrah, this is an example book, yeah. Unfortunately, it includes mostly stat mechanics problems and only a dozen or two about stat thermo. Most of the problems are quite tuff. “A training book for American universities”. That must be old Berkeley exams or something, sorting out the top 1% of the students. It’s an example book, alright, but it’s not worse purchasing it. Just my opinion.
on June 17, 2008
I liked the book. I think that it helps to review
the subject and test how much you studied. You also
can learn some tricks. I recomend.