Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 51 reviews
on February 1, 2012
This book shows us a man, having apparently experienced both trauma and truly unexplainable events, trying his best to make sense of his life. We see a nearly heroic effort to forge a positive, or at least forward-looking, interpretation of events that seem almost hopelessly overwhelming.

Throughout the Communion series of books, Strieber's core thinking has been consistent:

* Something very strange has happened to me, and it seems to be ongoing.
* I did my due diligence in checking whether it's all simply a psychological problem, the most likely option. The tests say I'm totally stable, if more than a bit stressed out.
* If that's the case, then what really is going on? It certainly seems important in any number of ways.
* I'm a writer, so I'll write about it.
* It seems to be far more complex than "Aliens in space ships." Way too many pieces just don't match up with that 1940's-era judgment.
* Okay, then let's avoid drawing any conclusions that would force us to dismiss big chunks of the evidence. However comfortable it'd be to have premature "certainty," we should try to keep the questions open.
* In the meantime, I'll do my best to find what personal meaning I can from the experience, and share this with my readers.

In some ways "Solving..." is more of the same, and this is not a bad thing. It gives new views of events we've read about in previous books while expanding upon them from the perspective of a quarter-century of experience.

Yet it also reveals new experiences, along with childhood memories that the author has only recently been able to assemble into a clear narrative. The core of the book is his unique way of looking at the way the world seems to have more than a single layer -- the cumulative result of his efforts to find clear meaning out of the strangeness he's been exposed to over the decades.

Strieber also makes use of his position as host of his radio program "Dreamland" to investigate other phenomena that may be related to his experiences, and ties them together as best as anyone could be expected to, being the slippery subjects that they are.

Throughout the book is a thread of long-resigned disappointment and sadness concerning the ease at which so many people seem willing to not only dismiss, but belittle and show raw unkindness toward those who dare to discuss these topics -- topics that have emerged as a new taboo in our society. Strieber has had this prejudice thrown in his face for the 25 years that he's been "out," and the reader both feels compassion for his treatment, and understanding for all those others who hesitate to make their own emergences from this particular closet. His frustration at seeing this reflexive attitude stifle investigation of what may be a situation that affects us all, is palpable.

If there's a part of his thinking that doesn't sit well with me, it would be his tendency to take everything very very seriously. And yet knowing the degree of trauma in his experiences, it's difficult to begrudge him this attitude. Although some of what he went through could be considered fascinating, or intriguing, or even sublime, his own lingering PTSD speaks a strong warning that caution is advised. The book is clear that while, "Yay, space brothers!" is a hopelessly reckless attitude, neither is pessimism an appropriate response.

As with the other books I've read from the author, the writing is engaging and vividly imaged. He's trying to explain what's basically unexplainable, which perhaps forces a balance between clarity of thought and depth of feeling. It's a good read.

Whether you have the mental flexibility to allow that this might be happening (physically or spiritually), or on the other hand you have the level-headedness to be confident that it's all simply psychological phenomena -- either way this book has value. It's a record of a man relatively isolated from his own home culture doing his best to come to terms with what he has perceived as his own experiences.

If you can take the true-believer glint out of your eyes, or the condescending sneer off of your lips, you can find here a record of somebody facing an overwhelmingly personal challenge, that we can all find useful in our own times of trial.
on July 27, 2017
Whitley continues to break new ground with his courage and willingness to recognize that his perspective is maybe partly right but by no means the whole story. His experiences, sacrifices and losses have not left him jaded and hostile, but rather, a richly curious and even-tempered intellect ever able to reclaim equilibrium in the face of truly unique experience. I found the last chapters terribly deepening and plodded through the final pages while making extensive notes as my own thoughts, emotions and flashes of insight seemed to emanate anew with each sentence.
on September 1, 2014
A synopsis of all Whitley has experienced in this 'real' world. And the questions he asks himself through his readers. Whitley is a talented writer. His novels capture the readers emotions and take them on a ride of fantasy and fear. But his real audience are the thousands of readers captured by his book, 'Communion'. This book opened a door that many of us of kept locked up in our nightmares. This was no novel. And for many, it was too much to handle. He does not give you a fictional realty, he tells you reality may not be what you think it is. His critics throw him in with the group of Ufo 'crazies'. But Whitley opens a dialog with so many of his fans whom have experienced something in their 'real' life that they can only categorize as 'unreal'. It is not about Ufo's, aliens, or ghosts. He tells you that he does not know what it is. But something is happening and we get chills from his words because we know something 'unreal' is happening to us too.
on January 13, 2013
"Solving the Communion Enigma" is a follow-up to the Whitley Strieber "Communion" series of books, in which he brings together all that he's learned in several decades of strange experiences with the 'visitors'.
Although much of the content has been explored before in other books, he aptly manages to tie all of his high-strangeness experiences with the Grays, spirits, and military into a more cohesive observation, even though many of his experiences defy common 'logic' and everyday experience.
If you're a "Communion" fan, as am I, then you'll want to review what's occured up 'til now, and what may be in store for us in the future. "Solving the Communion Enigma" should help to supply many of those elusive answers.
on March 15, 2017
Another book by Whitley that goes deeper into the Enigma.
on May 27, 2017
I highly recommend this vendor for having provided a great product via a smooth transaction.
on August 31, 2015
This is a great read. Mr. Strieber presents excellent data on this subject. Good read.
on August 9, 2014
I've read each of his nonfiction works with the same eagerness and have never been disappointed because above all I understand the challenge of recounting experience that Isn't comfortably explicable. These works, to me at least, are first and foremost commendable for being inconclusive. But, with each instalment comes clearer vision.
on May 23, 2014
This book contains conclusions and insights into the visitor phenomenon from the author that wrote about his initial encounters some 20 or so years ago.

The author is truly one of the great writers of our time, and his non fiction writing matches his fiction work in an engaging and compelling manner.
on December 4, 2014
whitley strieber has a way of articulating ideas that are nearly impossible to understand. This book was a real eye opener. I learned more from this book than I have from any other source. Whitley has a lot of guts