Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Some Nights
Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 23, 2016
I'm not a 'pop' kind of guy. Most pop music makes me want to hurl. But....this is a damned good album. A few of the songs are a bit tweeny and occasionally the singing is really just talking with a little rhyme and tempo added-in but there are to my thinking four excellent songs on this album and two more very good songs. I'm not embarrassed listening to this with the windows down and that says something. "Some Nights", "All Alone", "One Foot" and others are well written, metered, and have an excellent variance between songs, meaning that the songs are different and not just the same key and tone, song-after-song, one after the other. The singers voice range is quite good and although you can definitely hear and feel Pro-Tools at work (sorry, but nobody can hit those key's perfectly in that frequency variance without a little help) it doesn't detract from the experience. Pretty good stuff.
on September 7, 2012
Fun. is an interesting new band. Their debut album, 2009's "Aim and Ignite" their second album 2012's "Some Nights" are significantly different in terms of tone and sound. "Some Nights" has much more production work put into the arrangements. It's arguable that a point of contention on "Some Nights" is the frequently use of the blasted AutoTune on Nate Ruess's vocals--which, in all honesty, can really get annoying, but at the same time is cleverly experimented with and used effectively at times.

When I listen to "Aim and Ignite" the band remind me of Vampire Weekend. When I listen to "Some Nights" the band remind me of no one, and this is a good thing for them. They seem to be carving out their own unique niche this time around. They hit you hard with a 1-2-3 punch of "Some Nights", "We Are Young" and "Carry On", three of the best pop songs I've heard in a long while. Each carries a distinctive melody, catchy hooks, and lyrics that you can identify with.

Unfortunately, things get crazy and shaky after those songs. And unfortunately, you could argue that the album is front loaded as a result.

"It Gets Better" starts off with a jarring, really obnoxious AutoTuned vocal and irritating electronic beats before settling into a nice groove and hooky chorus--an uneven song at best. "Why Am I The One" brings things back around, but it's not quite as strong as the first three tracks.

Then things really get odd with the almost dub-step sounding "All Alone" which, again, has this very catchy chorus, but the verses aren't that great. "All Alright" is an oddity with it's depressing lyrics with this exuberant production, and almost uplifting quality to it. "One Foot" is so irritating with it's repetitive beat and little variation in structure. I think it's my least favorite track and it should have been left off as a b-side.

Finally, you arrive at the nearly seven minute "Stars" which restores the album back to it's original likability. That, followed by the bonus track "Out On The Town"--one of the best tracks here--in fact, I think you should try programming it right after "Carry On" and get a four-track punch.

So why am I giving "Some Nights" four stars instead of three or two? Well, the fact remains that the album is pretty good in a bizarre, jagged, and uneven manner, but it somehow works in the end. What I am hoping for with the next release is a refined approach, with more focus spent on capturing the magic of a great pop song like "Some Nights", "We Are Young" and "Carry On". If they can bottle that magic and make a 10 track third album that builds upon "Some Nights" they could be the next great thing in terms of classic pop music makers with some longevity. They have great potential, let's just harness it next time. "Some Nights" is a great improvement over "Aim and Ignite", so give it your best shot gentlemen.

Here's how "Some Nights" compares with "Aim and Ignite":

2009 Aim and Ignite: Three Stars
2012 Some Nights: Four Stars
on July 17, 2013
Yes, Fun. is on the rise because of Some Nights, Carry On, and We are Young. Yes, I love those songs too, and could listen to them on repeat. But don't do that -- instead listen to the whole album on repeat.

The lyrics in this album are thought-provoking, the production and varied techniques used in the songs is interesting to listen to, and overall, the whole album flows into a piece that is rightfully award winning. I cannot wait to see what they do with their next album. Nate Ruess' vocals and lyrics are spot on, Jack Antonoff and Andrew Dost show their instrumental skill throughout the album.

For those of you who are runners, once you become hooked on this album it is THE perfect album to run with. It has a great tempo for your long runs.
on March 19, 2012
If you love "We Are Young" (and apparently you would be in good company as it is Billboard's #1 song at this time), you will also love this CD. And I do too. This is one of those rare CD's where there is one song after another that you will like on the first hearing!

While there may be some purists who are offended by the use of anything electronic, there are other "purists" (myself included) that look at the whole picture and how the electronics affect the quality of the production...but most of all, is the album "fun" to listen to. It's hard not to immediately start tapping your feet or nodding your head when listening to "Some Nights", "Carry On", "Why Am I the One" and "All Alone". That is not to say that the other songs aren't good also. To me, there is not one bad song on this CD.

So give it a try. You will not be disappointed!
on August 16, 2017
This was my absolute favorite CD back at this time when it came out I listen to it on repeat a ton of times and still find myself fooling it out from time to time when I need to pick me up I never had to skip any songs I can continuously play it and actually enjoy everything
on February 22, 2012
First, a word about the auto-tuning. I will say that I am generally averse to electric manipulation of the voice. The difference here is that Fun. uses auto-tuning, not to compensate for the soloist's inability to sing (as a disturbingly increasing number of popular artists do these days -- as we have seen in his live performances Nate Ruess can really belt one out). Fun. uses auto-tune as a completely valid musical instrument; it's done tastefully and appropriately, not to compensate for some vocal shortcoming. Sans auto-tune, Nate Ruess is a strong high tenor who sings without vibrato, making his high notes in "We Are Young" sound pretty effortless.

The record is one where you don't find yourself skipping over tracks. Each is packed with a catchy melody. There is not one weak link in the record, with the exception being "It Gets Better" (track 5), but even this is not a bad song at all.

For many, "We Are Young," with its massive, anthemic chorus used in a Chevy commercial and episode of Fox's Glee, is the track that exposed them to Fun. For the rest of us that have been with Nate since his days in The Format, this record is the sophomore record with Fun., following the phenomenal "Aim and Ignite." There is no "sophomore slump" here where a good indie band becomes a bit more popular and a bit more commercialized. Rather Fun. has partly moved away from the sound of "Aim and Ignite" developed their own sound out of an effective blending of different styles and genres:

At some instances ("Intro" and "Some Nights") Nate Ruess seems to summon Queen. The chorus "Why Am I the One" is tinged with early Elton John. Select bars in "All Alone" echo of early Maroon5, while a heavy bass and short, simple ostinato in "One Foot" are quite obviously Ruess's use of hip-hop elements. This track is a standout, showcasing Fun.'s songwriting ability -- a melody that builds in intensity over a simple repetition of a simple 1-1-4-5 chord progression. The track "Stars" starts out as a run-of-the-mill alternative rock piece, then without transition, changes character into an extended R&B influenced segment with effective (not compensatory) use of auto-tune cradled by classically-inspired strings. It blends these influences together into something original-sounding, while somehow retaining its indie roots. Each song is in a key signature that is closely related the previous song, making the entire album fit together as one whole, well-crafted structure. Musicians will be thrilled at this.

Musically, the songs are filled with masterful instrumentations and compositional techniques that keep the listening experience interesting. For example, stark tempo changes, as in "We Are Young," and modulations to minor key as in the end of "One Foot" aren't just clever insertions. Rather, they compliment the already memorable melodies.
1010 comments| 258 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 22, 2017
I mustve bought this album 4 times over the years! It comes up missing from my house and i end up replacing it. Good grief. Bey they are awrsome in concert! Every sing is topnotch!
on March 13, 2015
The first few songs are amazing, specially when I heard the intro. I was so amazed! Some nights intro was so good, so vibrating and gave you such a Queen-like vibe, it actually gave me chills; I couldn't believe how great it was, and I was expecting the rest of the CD to be on par with it, but after listening to their 4 good (and well known) singles, the CD went this weird musical exploration way (which I totally appreciate), but the outcome is simply not as good. It feels like its another band singing the second half of the CD. It was so disappointing, I only barely liked another song, and that's it. This CD is not for everyone, try listening to it separately and then decide if you should buy it or not. I will continue to support FUN as long as I like their style. I really want them to succeed.
on March 12, 2013
I got this album after hearing 'Some Nights' and 'We are Young' on the radio. With two great songs, what was there to lose?

For my tastes (alternative / pop), Some Nights and We Are Young are the two best tracks. The 'Some Nights (Intro)' opener is a close second place, evoking of all things Queen, circa A Night At The Opera (Deluxe Version).

The lead singer Nate Ruess has a distinctive voice and great range. Don't let the mention of auto-tuning in other reviews turn you off. Though there are a couple examples mixed in for effect, his vocals are outstanding and in tune on their own, and make up the vast majority of the singing on the album.

The rest of the album is a mix of good and very good songs. Carry On and One Foot both stand out. I've been listening to parts of the album a couple times a day, and probably the whole album every couple days for a few weeks now. I'm still nowhere near sick of it.

Great music, and I'm looking forward to checking out their other albums. Five stars!
on June 25, 2012
Starting slow and quiet with the enigmatic "Some Nights (Intro)," this isn't an album that hits you upside the head with its awesomeness. But don't worry, because it gets busy impressing with the anthemic "Some Nights." Beautiful harmonizing vocals kicks off this ode to the questing, questioning youth, which brings in a thumping drum beat to drive the song home. Following this song is the runaway hit "We Are Young" a song that for me is overplayed to tears, but I can still listen to it because it really is an excellent song.

I won't go through each song, but personal stand-outs for me are Why Am I the One, All Alone, and Stars.

Nate Ruess builds themes throughout the songs, calling back to other songs in the record and even the previous Fun. record (Aim and Ignite, also pretty damn amazing). Musically dense with plenty of soaring chords & melodies, the Fun. record rewards multiple listens to tease out its intricacies. No song is a flop.

If you like (or liked, before you heard it a thousand times) We Are Young, you will find much on this record to satisfy your taste for pop-conscious uniquely-constructed rock anthems. Fun. doesn't sound like everyone else on the radio, and I am oh so happy about that.