Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 63 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 78 reviews
on February 13, 2013
I first saw this book read online through a YouTube video and found it to be excellent. I would recommend that you watch the video as well. It covers the subject matter of child sexual abuse very delicately and, in some ways, is a good way to show parents how a child may feel when they are going through a situation like this. With 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys being victimized by sexual abuse before their 18th birthdays, it's a serious subject that is simply being neglected. Parents that don't educate their children on their bodies, the need for respect and responsibility are more at risk. Parents that don't know the signs of a possible abuser, how an abused child may act (since they more often than not keep it a secret) are less likely to understand the risks and identify a situation that may be harmful for their child.
on March 28, 2016
This book is fabulous. If you find yourself in the position of needing this book; I am sincerely sorry. I know your heartache.

The first time we read it, the story brought tears to our child who went through a very similar experience. For us, reading the book was healing, as the child found comfort in the idea he wasn't alone in what happened. It is a frequently requested book in our house on days when memories are overwhelming. I appreciate the comfort this book with it's relatable story and happily-ever-after ending brings my child.

If you are concerned and want to start a discussion with your child about keeping secrets but are having difficulty knowing where to start, I think this book would be a great starting point. If the unthinkable has already happened, I hope your child finds the happily-ever-after type ending as comforting as ours did.

My only issue with this story is that it starts out with the idea of the mother being divorced. CSA happens to children from all backgrounds including traditional two parent households like ours. It irked me to have the story add to the stigma of being a single parent. Maybe it's a little nit-picky of me, but still, I think single parents have it hard enough without adding to the stigma. I don't know though, perhaps a single mother would find it easier to relate to and therefore more helpful and not at all insulting.

We also very highly recommend the book A Terrible Thing Happened by Margaret M. Holmes. The book was very helpful in preparing our child for therapy. He knew what to expect and wasn't at all afraid to go talk to his new therapist. I especially appreciate the book never mentions what the terrible thing was and leaves it completely up to the child's interpretation.
on October 23, 2016
Difficult to write a review for a book of this nature but we chose several books of this type, dealing with inappropriate touching and other issues of body privacy and this one handled things in a honest and direct manner. I thought it was nice that at first the mother was not responsive and somewhat dismissive (not sure that is the best characterization, but for now it is what I would go with) but later came to understand the severity of the situation and came to her son's aid. As a survivor of sexual assault, by a family member, I know that no matter how well intentioned a parent may be it is difficult to immediately believe or accept so this book reinforces that you may have to tell someone over and over again until your voice is heard.
on April 17, 2017
This story is very well done considering the topic it must cover. Sadly we live in a world where this is a VITAL conversation we must have with our children so as to avoid this type of abuse.

My son is now four. I introduced the book along with two others talking about the topic of our bodies and how our private parts are private when he was about 3.5 maybe younger. Because I was taking him to childcare at church and he needed help with the bathroom this was a very important message to get through to him and this book made it easy for him to understand.
on July 26, 2016
I bought a few books on this topic for my daughter. This is my favorite. It's more interesting for her because it's in story format, Unlike other books on this subject that tend to read more like a dictionary.
on March 8, 2017
Important lessons to teach our children, opens up a great dialogue.
on July 7, 2016
Some may feel this book is too intense or uncomfortable for kids. Thing is, no parent wants to have these discussions with their child. I think children should be given the tools to help them discuss sensitive matters with their parents.
on July 19, 2015
I bought this to teach my 4 year old about this sensitive subject. After flipping through the book and looking at the pictures, he refused to let me read it to him. I think it looked too dark and scary to him. We did eventually read it together about 6 months later, but he has since refused to look at it again.
on July 10, 2014
I really like this book. My 5 year old seems to be catching on to the theme. There is only one piece I felt the book could have not mentioned, the dad leaving the family and the mom having to work and not having money. I think it is a paragraph long, and honestly, the book would have been able to get the entire message without it. I understand that is reality for many of us these days, however, it just wasn't warranted nor in my opinion did it line up with the story. I feel it brought about a different focus, tsince it is the first pages of the book, the questions of Daddys leaving, over the main purpose.. secrets and body safety.
on March 7, 2015
Great book if used in conjunction with others that are even more direct. The mid evil theme is good because it is different enough from kids everyday lives to not scare them. The point about the perpetrator telling the kid he will ruin things for his mom and it will be his fault is an important discussion point. The discussion questions at the end were good for not family. Good for ages 4-8 probably. Best for ages 5-6.