|Digital List Price:||$9.95|
|Print List Price:||$9.95|
Save $3.28 (33%)
Somebody Up There Hates You: A Novel Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 251 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $7.49 when you buy the Kindle book.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
Somebody Up There Hates You by Hollis Seamon (YA)
This is so much more than a cancer book. Richard (main character) is written in such a way that his voice is so true to life. Richard is in hospice and so is Sylvie....and both are teenagers. They try to retain some sort of normalcy with their budding romance but that creates more problems for both them and their families. The secondary characters (the harpy, Edward, Richard's mother, uncle and grandmother) are interesting and bring even more depth to the book. I could see this book being called a grittier The Fault in Our Stars...and I mean that as a compliment. Add to this that the author is 1. local and 2. was my Honors English 101 professor at college and that just completes the package. I highly recommend it.
In retrospect, I did love SUTHY. It was full of sarcasm and fun and heart-felt moments that build up to its (inevitable) conclusion. It's such a powerful love story that you can't compare to TFIOS because they're in two different leagues. I loved TFIOS==SUTHY is more of an indie-book--but I feel like I've you want a clean-cut novel with a bow, read TFIOS. If you want a gritty novel that'll make you laugh and possibly cry at the end, I HIGHLY recommend Somebody Up There Hates You.
I really felt for Richard's young mother the most. He denies it throughout the novel but he's really okay with the short time he has left. His mother on the other hand, had him at 16 years old and now at 33/34 she's left without the child she gave everything up for. If that's not a cautionary tale for the young teens who may read this book I don't know what else is.
I hated Slyvie's (Richard's fellow hospice girlfriend) father with a fiery passion. Richard's only 17, sick and throughout the story does nothing to warrant the level of abuse and hate this man sends his way. Though since the story has a nice sort of outerworldly mysticism to it, perhaps the man's just a stand in for the titular "somebody up there hates you." No rhyme or reason, just sucks.
The writing is great and the author does a fantastic job of showing you Richard's (and others) character traits without having to tell it a million different ways. I found myself really liking almost everyone in the book by the end and saw all their point of views. Still, I'm unsure what to make of this book as a whole. Good first effort from this author though.
Most recent customer reviews
By the grace of god go I
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Social & Family Issues > Dating & Sex
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Social & Family Issues > Death & Dying
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Social & Family Issues > Family
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Romance > Contemporary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Personal Health > Diseases, Illnesses & Injuries
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Social & Family Issues > Dating & Sex
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Social & Family Issues > Death
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Social & Family Issues > Family > Multigenerational
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Romance > Contemporary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Social Issues