Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Someday
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Joseph Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 11, 2007
This book is beautiful and moving. The illustrations are cute and fun, there's very little text, just one or two sentences on each page under the drawing.
In simple beautiful words the author takes her daughter from her birth to the day when she will be a mother herself, and ultimately be old and cherish the memory of her Mom.
It is amazing how such simple illustrations and words can convey such strong emotions.
This is a book that every Mom will treasure. Reading it will likely bring tears to her eyes, and sharing it with her child will be a special moment...
22 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2011
I rarely read children's books, but when I do, I like to read them out loud to children. Yes, this is a beautiful book, but buyer beware - it is targeted at your heartstrings and it will hit hard and fast. I don't think I could find any parent (or parent on deck) that could possibly read this without tearing up. I'm not sure how it is from the children's perspective to watch their parents attempt to emotionally come to terms with their departure from their children's lives, but I bet it's rather unsettling. This written for parents - not children.
33 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2011
I don't even know how to rate this book. If you want to have your day ruined, it's great at doing that. It's a beautiful book but so very sad.

My mom gave me this for my first Mother's Day when my daughter was only a couple months old. I started getting teary but when I got to the last page I was devastated. I just wasn't expecting it to be such a sad book.

Then today I thought I'd try reading it a second time, my daughter is now a year old, and I thought maybe it was just the postpartum hormones that got to me the first time I'd read it. But no, it's the book. I was bawling again.
VINE VOICEon October 16, 2007
The first time I read this book was in a bookstore where I fought valiantly against the urge to cry copiously. Yesterday, during both readings of my daughter's newly arrived copy, I found my voice breaking and tears starting. In simple prose and spare but beautiful drawings, this book does a simply wonderful job of summing up the complexities of a mother's love for her daughter. I can't think of another book that more perfectly expresses the love I feel for my little girl. I love how the book begins with the newborn and ends with the newborn as an old woman. It led to a discussion with my daughter of how I was once a baby in my own mother's arms and how I have grown to have a daughter of my own. The book does such a lovely job of describing this circle of life. Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. I highly recommend this for any mother of a daughter--no matter how young or old your little girl.
on October 4, 2007
SOMEDAY is a mother's heartfelt storybook wish for her child -- that her child will grow up healthy, experience great joys, and someday have a family of her own. It's also a wish that she will be lovingly remembered by her child ("Someday, a long time from now, your own hair will glow silver in the sun. And when that day comes, love, you will remember be.") The book is reminiscent of Robert Munsch's Love You Forever, but the storyline is simpler and more realistic. The illustrations complement the story beautifully. Highly recommended.
on January 2, 2008
I will start with saying that the illustrations in the book are lovely; utterly enchanting. What I don't understand is why one would want to saddle their little ones with forethoughts of grief. When the reader has reached the last page, the ultimate conclusion is that someday your mom will be dead and you will be old and thinking about her. At least this tale isn't quite as dark and bizarre as 'Love You Forever' but it still has quite a morose undercurrent. As in Wendell Berry's 'The Peace of Wild Things' I find it more invigorating to dwell in the joy of the here and now. I will find another book that conveys the extent of my love for my children without resorting to such depressing sentimentality.
1919 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2007
this is a beautiful story about the hopes and dreams a mother has for her child. as a mother myself, i deeply connected with this book. i am buying it for my girlfriends for a mother's day gift--i know they'll all enjoy reading it with their children.
on March 28, 2007
I can think of no better book for a mother to give her daughter right now. Peter H. Reynolds has done his best to inspire a new generation of readers through his works, notably, The Dot (Irma S and James H Black Honor for Excellence in Children's Literature (Awards), and here he teams with Alison McGhee to create a book of memories, I think, any mom would be proud to share with her daughter. The book traces significant moments in a girl's life from infancy through adulthood, chronicling both achievements and heartache along the way. The soft-hued illustrations complement the simple, repetitive text and make the book appropriate for the youngest of readers. If you don't find yourself tearing up at the end, you're not human. I can't wait for McGhee and Reynolds to collaborate on a book for fathers and their sons.
on February 9, 2016
I gave this book 5 stars, but honestly, I'm unsure. It's amazing, pulls right at the heartstrings and you might even cry - unless you are reading this for the first time with your child like I was and are trying to keep it together. My son is almost 8 and said "this book made me sad" before he cried. Just a warning although it's a great book that he will one day appreciate and understand. Until then, I don't think we'll be reading it too often.... lol
on July 3, 2007
I love books like these with such a beautiful message.
I tend to purchase them all. This is a great book for any child. This book is very moving and a beautiful message to leave or read to any child.
A treasure for any child, parent or book collection.