Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

Someday, Someday, Maybe: A Novel
Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 16, 2016
I have to say I got this book because of my outstanding love for Gilmore Girls and Parenthood- or should I say my love for anything Lauren Graham. Typically, a novel like this is not the type of book I enjoy reading, however, I was thoroughly electrified reading "Someday, Someday, Maybe". The fact that this novel is somewhat reflecting Lauren's personal life story made the book feel honest. I found fondess in that comforting way of Lauren Graham's voice. When reading, I could hear her telling the story. She has a unique way of talking- funny yet smart, and a little bit of A.D.D. I truely enjoyed this book and I cannot wait for her next one in November. I would definitely (and already have) recommend this book to others. If you do not mind a few curse words, this book would not require a high reading level (for middle schoolers and such). The plot was well written and discovered. A great book over all!
review imagereview image
11 comment| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 6, 2016
If your a fan of Helen Fielding's: Bridget Jones you will seriously enjoy reading Someday, Someday Maybe.

THE BAD: (this has nothing to do with the writing or anything else) For the Kindle version, at least for the paperwhite, the pages with the Filofax stuff were pretty much impossible to read. Especially since the "handwriting" was obviously supposed to look hasty and messy. It actually gave me a bit of a headache trying to decipher them.

I've always known Lauren Graham is an awesome actress, super smart and hilarious. Now I also know she can write!

There are so many laughs in this story. The characters are so outrageous and funny, they are mostly likeable, with the exception of a certain gentleman. I would love to know these people.
So hard to put down, even when the words started to swim across the screen, it was nearly impossible to stop.
I'm hoping that the saga of Franny will continue.
on February 11, 2017
I really wanted to like this book... but I just couldn't ever relate to the main character, Frannie, whom I found incredibly annoying. At one point in the book, I even found myself saying out loud, "Oh my gosh, shut up already!" I was so disappointed because my daughters and I are huge Gilmore Girls fans, so I was really excited to read Lauren Graham's new book, (LG plays Lorelai on the show). This book mostly read like an unending stream of consciousness by a neurotic woman who struggled with terrible low self esteem. While that can sometimes be endearing in some stories, the character Frannie just came off to me as an insanely self conscious individual who had a thousand self deprecating thoughts a minute! All of which the author felt she had to include on all the pages of this book!
on February 12, 2018
Lauren Graham is a masterful story teller. Her work, “Someday, Someday, Maybe,” really sets the reader in the life of a young wanna-be actor. She vividly captures the daily intensity of struggling to survive economically while putting one’s ego on the line facing constant rejection aspiring for even the smallest part in a play, on television, or even a commercial. I enjoyed that part of the book much more than the love triangle with the obvious ending. Most frustrating was the novel’s abrupt dead end without closure in any area. I enjoyed Graham writing, and would recommend the book based on that alone, but the love sub-plot and the ending left much to be desired.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 22, 2017
I am a huge fan of Lauren Graham's book "Talking as Fast as I Can", but this book left something to be desired. I will admit I'm not a huge fiction reader so maybe this is where my dissatisfaction with this book came from. I don't know. However, I also could not really relate at all to the main character. (And really couldn't even get myself to really like her all the much.) If you like acting or are in this business, maybe this book would be for you. But for me, I actually had to force myself to finish the book. I moved very slowly.
on June 5, 2013
Someday, Someday, Maybe is a novel of finding yourself, of finding others, and of finding love, in its various and complicated forms. The premise, I'll give you, sounds clichéd and I am certain you've heard this story before. Franny Banks is a 20-something trying to make it as an actress in New York City. She has the obligatory spunky roommate/best friend; the terminal friend-zone guy friend; the brooding, bad boy love interest; and a relationship with her father that is changing in ways neither of them can control as she asserts herself and enters adulthood. But though the story, the setting, and the characters may be something you've seen before, I guarantee you will fall in love with Franny's personality, her friends, her story, and ultimately with Graham's storytelling.

It was no surprise to me to find out that Graham holds a bachelors degree in English Literature (from Barnard College/Columbia University no less). This book is incredibly well written for being your basic story of a girl growing up in the big city, finding romantic love, a love of family, a love of friends, and, eventually, a love of self. Graham's writing is engaging and witty, and she is just as funny on the page as she seems on TV. The relationships between Franny and her friends are genuine, believable, and endearing. And as a parent of a 17-year-old and a one time 20-something myself, the relationship with her father is both heartbreaking and very real.

Oh, and Franny has a Filofax. Yes, a Filofax. And scrunchies. Lots and lots of scrunchies. And Aqua Net hairspray. And she probably watches Leeza while wearing her overalls unlatched on one side and hanging down without the slightest bit of irony. The story is set in the early 1990's and my favorite part of the whole book was the tiny bits of 90's pop culture Graham wove seamlessly through the entire novel. So many times authors establish setting and then forget all about it, but not here. I found myself laughing out loud, reminiscing about my own forest green corduroy overalls (they were awe-some) and favorite scrunches (a huge white organza one with a satiny, navy blue ribbon trim), and thoroughly enjoying the trip down memory lane. That isn't to say if you didn't grow up in the 90's you won't love this book, but it was a little like finding Easter eggs hidden in the pages for me.

Let me wrap up by saying that I can't remember what possessed me to buy this (hardback prices, eek!), but I'm so glad I did. I've enjoyed the occasional episode of Gilmore Girls and Parenthood, and while I like her well enough when I started this book I wasn't a Lauren Graham fangirl by stretch of the imagination. This book, however, may have made me into one. As an author, Graham is better than you'd hoped and all that you want in a well-written summer read. I loved Someday, Someday, Maybe.

Final Word: I loved it! It has just the right balance of self-discovery and romance, humor and heartbreak, and Graham is just as funny and endearing on the page as she seems on TV.
on February 19, 2018
This is a beach read. A vacation read. A plane ride or waiting room read. It’s quick and light with just the right amount of quirky, feel good moments and a tiny bit of realism underneath.
I bought this book because it was written by Lauren Graham. I love her in Gilmore Girls and Parenthood; her characters are very similar and perfectly suited for her (or vice versa). This book is very much the same. Though I’m sure there are fictional elements, it feels like it could be an auto biography and the entire time I read it, I pictured Lauren Graham. I’m not sure if that’s good or not. You decide.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 2, 2016
I read a good review of this book months ago in a magazine, and then a friend told me I just had to read this for some fun 'escapism' fiction. The book moves along fast and cheerily. The main character is cheeky and likes to laugh at herself. Sometimes her lack of self-confidence is too annoying and unbelievable. If she really has such a lack of self-respect, she'd never be able to do what she does in the book. But the book takes a typical turn in which the main character make all the wrong choices, which helps her learn more about herself and the choices that she should make for her future as an actress and as a happy human being. The more I read, the better the story got, and at the end, I was cheering for Lauren Graham, uh, I mean, the main fictional character.
VINE VOICEon September 14, 2013
Franny is an aspiring actress in New York in the early 1990s, before cellphones and the Internet, and this witty novel follows her ups and downs through six months of auditions, workshops, advertisements, interactions with agents and waitressing. What makes this book well above average is the very real feel it has. One instinctively knows that the author has been there and done that.

Franny is a natural comedienne and also, we're repeatedly told, adorable, cute and even beautiful - although she doesn't seem to accept that. We know of course she's going to make it somehow but the novel does not follow all of the accepted "chick lit" conventions. There's a bit of love interest but it's very secondary and never develops into much. The author is not very strong when it comes to portraying sexual desire or attraction. But she is extremely good at describing what it's like to stare into a camera and try to speak silly advertising copy. She's good at what it's like to deal with an agent and how it feels to be handled by makeup and costume departments.

New York City, when it was still so violent and drug infested, is another character in the book. This is before they cleaned up 42nd Street which was then a center of the sex trade. How quickly we forget.

One complaint: I couldn't read the entries in Franny's filofax and her appointment calendar with all her doodles and little illustration very well on my Kindle. I'm sure they were amusing enough in the paper edition.
on July 19, 2015
Overall this was a great book. The beginning was a bit dull- not boring, but dull; it took quite a number of chapters to finally get interesting.

I've grown up watching/being a fan of GG and Lauren Graham, so I was extremely excited for this novel. With that being said, I typically enjoy Grahams' wit and charm. However I found this book to be quite wordy. As if a dozen metaphors/bits are JAMMED into a single paragraph describing something irrelevant.
That's my only complaint, but it really doesn't take away from the book.

Another note worth mentioning (as I am also curious to know if anyone else noticed and agrees) is that I can't help to believe that there are quite a few subtle Gilmore Girls innuendos!!! Which makes me really happy. I mean why else would she mention peas?!?! LOL or the "backpacking through Europe" and "cutting ones hair too short on a whim" (chapter 7)... c'mon?!

I definitely recommend anyone to give this read a go. Very relatable!!