Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Something for Everybody
Format: Audio CD|Change

on July 23, 2010
I believe now is the right time for Devo, my fellow spuds. Sure, the uninitiated and uninformed will sneer and scoff, and laugh, but that's because all they know is "Whip It" and the Swiffer commercials.

No, really, I give "Something For Everybody" five stars for several reasons: 1. It's really well put together considering how long the band has been around. 2. We desperately need the obtuse, almost implied sarcastic irony that Devo are so good at peddling. I believe most of Devo's music flies right over the general public's head because all they think about is "Whip It". That's Devo's genius--subversive themes neatly packaged in 3 minute hummable tunes. A real houswife from -insert location here- could enjoy "Something For Everybody" and completely miss the boat of subversive lyrical themes.

True to form, I went back and listened to every Devo album in sequence leading up to "Something For Everybody". The band's career has certainly been spotty, particularly "Total Devo" and "Smooth Noodle Maps". Still, every album has something good on it, it's just whether the band can deliver a full 12 song set without much filler. "Something For Everybody" has a consistency not heard from the band since 1980's "Freedom Of Choice". Again, I am amazed at how well done this new album is given a 20 year absence and nearly 40 years as a band. I think about all the other artists in my music collection who have been around that long and the type of albums they are making. Devo stands apart as being fresh, valid, contemporary.

The detractors of this album seem to be few. I get that Devo's first three albums are considered their finest--I get it! But, I am willing to allow for something new if I feel the quality is there. How can you deny the quality found on "Something For Everybody"? I listened to this album all week, and it just continued to get better and better.

I do have one complaint though, and that is why Warner Bros. just didn't allow Devo to release the full 16 song album. Why do we have to have four different versions of the album? I cheated and downloaded and added "Watch Us Work It", "Signal Ready" and "Let's Get To It" to the standard 12 song album I bought. It irked me that lame old iTunes got "Knock Boots" as an exclusive bonus track.

I believe that if radio wasn't so compartmentalized and demographically challenged these days that Devo would have a slew of hits from this album. My top favorites are the following: "What We Do", "Please Baby Please", "Don't Shoot (I'm A Man)", "Sumthin'", "No Place Like Home" and "March On". That, in itself, is quite a few for one album. But the other tracks are equally as solid like "Fresh", "Mind Games", "Human Rocket", "Cameo", "Later Is Now". The weakest track is probably "Step Up", but that's not saying much. The three extra tracks are also good with "Watch Us Work It" having a catchy chorus, and "Signal Ready" harking back to those crazy post-punk days I miss so much in today's Lady GaGa'd, Katy Perry'd and Miley Cyrus'd vapid world of music.

Five stars because, honestly, I've listened to quite a bit of new music this year and this album stands out as both musically invigorating and intellectually stimulating--in the best subversive Devo way. Five stars, because, after listening to the entire Devo catalog, "Something For Everybody" lives up to its title and is superior to the last five Devo albums.

Here is how "Something For Everybody" compares to Devo's other work:

1984 Shout: Three Stars
1988 Total Devo: Two and a Half Stars
1990 Smooth Noodle Maps: Two Stars
2010 Something For Everybody: Five Stars
33 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 21, 2016
Unlike a lot of music I pick up by older artists, this album continues to get an enormous amount of playtime in my rotation. Even the family really enjoys it and years later we sometimes catch ourselves singing the songs if somebody says a line from the song in a normal conversation (What We Do being the ever popular one, but March On being my favorite song in general.)
I've been enjoying Devo for a long, long time and this is not just my favorite album since Freedom of Choice, I consider it one of my favorite albums in the past several years.
I just wish they would have put out more after this. It feels like such a tease to put out such an incedible album and then nothing new again.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon October 16, 2010
I was a little skeptical when I first heard Devo was coming out with a new album, but then I heard them on the Colbert Report with the single "Fresh." I was totally blown away. And the album just gets better with every listen. Each song is a solid entry in the Devo songbook with enough 80s influence to remind us why they were so good at the time and why they are even better today. Devo has taken pure 80s bliss and turned it int0 2010 gold. Something for Everybody should be an album of the year candidate with catchy hooks from "Fresh," "What We Do," "Later is Now" (a really nifty send up to their original sound that works just as great now as then), and "March On." Those are just my favorites, but every track is brilliant and fun. Well worth the money to pick up this album which truly is for everybody.
on July 14, 2013
I'm in awe of groups that have faded over time and then come out with a last gasp album that smokes their previous offerings. The B-52s did it with their "Funplex" album (if you don't have it, you should), and now Devo has done it with "Something for Everybody". I didn't even know they had a new album out (well, new in 2010) until a college buddy of mine asked if I had heard it. He sent me a bootleg, and after 3 listens I couldn't get half the songs out of my head. Did the right thing and ordered an official copy, and now I've listened to it for weeks straight as I find each song becoming my favorite of the moment. The tunes are very memorable, and the lyrics are catchy (if you're left-leaning; otherwise they might sound a bit preachy for those of you whose political ideas go right). I know some will trash this because the music is far more accessible than their earlier stuff, but that's exactly what I like about it. You still have that Devo attitude but it's been polished somewhat. Do some Google searching on the Interwebz and you'll find a very entertaining set of videos that supposedly highlight the making of this album and the 'behind closed doors' corporate meetings that went on. Very subtle stuff, but entertaining all the same.
on June 27, 2014
Devo is back after a 20-year hiatus with the aptly named "Something for Everybody"---for there really IS something to like here for each listener. Their slick, innovative, mechanized "uncool" sounds are actually more cool and vastly outdistance all the tripe we're getting fed in music these days.
Reportedly, Devo had fans vote online to choose their song selections, CD graphics, etc. And I must say, the strategy paid off, for this is a solid album of great songs. "Fresh" is the perfect opener, a high energy rocker that seems to trumpet "DEVO IS BACK!" The plopping sidestepping rhythm of "What We Do" is absolutely irresistible. "Don't Shoot (I'm a Man)", "Mind Games" and "Human Rocket"--to name a few--are songs that only Devo could do. I especially liked the soaring sounds of "Later is Now". And "No Place Like Home" fools you into thinking you're going to get a gentler, more reflective song, then tosses out the piano solo beginning for the usual Devo sound.
Long live Devo!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon October 31, 2010
Overall, this strikes me as a continuation Devo album, something I would have expected from then in the late 80s. The sound essentially is the same, the rhythms and arrangements expected and delivering almost as well as I had expected.

All twelve songs are pop, none longer than four minutes. That unique Devo voice is there, that immediately recognizable Mothersbaugh/Casale sound, still thankfully youthful (despite the clear aging in that very cool rear-panel group portrait). There's a lot of electronic sound--not necessarily noise--but that unique Devonic marriage of hard guitar chords over electronics a la Are We Not Men? and Duty Now for the Future just isn't there (you can hear them just starting to wind up in the far background on "Fresh," unfortunately just as the song closes out). The sound is clubby in bass and beat at times ("Human Rocket," "Step Up," "Cameo"), and has more than a hint of currently trendy voice manipulation. In fact, the chorus for the closer, "March On" could almost be music for a car rental or computer processor commercial.

The opener, "Fresh," is the most catchy of the album, with a strong and easy chorus. "What We Do" follows, and has a good opening hook and vocal. If you're listening to the lyrics, they're saying that those dancing to this song are mercifully going to be the first ones to go.

The title track, "Sumthin,'" with its very, very Whip It-like beat, is as political as this release gets, with a shot at Dubya Bush, the New World Order (a reference now a good twenty years old), and complaints about pundits/angry mobs/fundamentalists/, outlining the current state of post-punk devolution.

The package offers no song lyrics, nor detailed liner notes. You get the bare minimum on personnel and copyright, but the booklet is a wordless tableau of photos centered on that iconic flowerpot hat, now apparently a delicious, sexy, irresistible blast of gelatinized cobalt-blue self-actualization. It's pure Devo concept, open to any number of interpretations.

One thing I was listening intently for is the raw, trembling, nerd-infused sexual drive that made songs such as "Pink Pussycat," Triumph of the Will," and especially "Uncontrollable Urge" (and more) so powerfully resonant. "Please Baby Please" (with a percussion opening which instantly reminded me of The Polecats' "Make a Circuit with Me") is in contact with the touchy subject, but this song is a plea rather than the direct, earthy, threatening demands of old.

Bottom line: we've heard this Devo before. It's familiar and easy, with no strange departures, with their consistent product updated and tuned to a new consumer demographic. There's nothing more Devo than that.
on June 16, 2010
Good album or not, it's just so amazing to finally have a new Devo album after all these long years. Thankfully, it is indeed a good album. It's not their best work ever, but it's certainly better than Total Devo and Smooth Noodle Maps... and that's all I dared to wish for. It somehow sounds like classic Devo without actually sounding like any of their previous material. (One thing I keep going "Oo!" at is that Bob's guitar is so dominant in the mix, which almost hearkens back to the first two albums.) It's better than anything on the radio these days, and that's a fact. I'm getting a kick out of their new de-evolved corporate strategy, all of the market testing and whatnot. They didn't just get back together to slap together and spit out a new record; they're genuinely back with us in today's horribly de-evolved world. And it's fantastic. I only wish Alan Myers was back.

EDIT: This morning I was listening to Sparks' Whomp That Sucker (1981) and was shocked at how similar some of it sounds to this new Devo. Check out the song 'Upstairs' to hear what I'm talking about.
on July 15, 2010
Devo is back, and surprisingly good! The sound on this album is very reminiscent of both New Traditionalists and Total Devo (with a touch of Shout). If you're a Devo fan, that's probably an odd statement -- because those two couldn't have sounded more dissimilar. And that's why sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

The standout songs on this album are BRILLIANT. "Fresh" is old-school Devo with some newer production. "Please Baby Please" blends about a dozen different musical styles into a single, unified whole. And "Later is Now" is their new "Beautiful World." Unfortunately, not all the songs are standouts. Most of the others are decently crafted and enjoyable to listen to, but a handful are simply uninspired, and one ("No Place Like Home") sounds like Devo deciding to do a Motley-Crue-style piano ballad -- and yes, that's just as horrifying as it sounds.

This is definitely a good album. (And to me, "Good" is 3 stars. I save 4 and 5 for "Great" and "Excellent.") The standout songs MORE than compensate for the few misses. If it's still on sale when you read this, it's a steal -- GET IT. If it's back to full price, then I'd take a moment to mull it over. If you liked Devo's older stuff, but still enjoyed what they did on their later (post-Alan) albums, you'll enjoy this quite a bit.
on June 15, 2010
its been a long time, i am very impressed, great job. if you love devo, and your a fan. your gonna love it. For all the years they have been around, they still got it. great job spuds. I love all the song, this group can teach new artist how its done, This is how they get it done. and they do. cant wait till the next cd. luv ya guys. devo rocks. My fav song, Fresh, What we do, Mindgames, Human rocket, Sumthin, Cameo, Lets get it done. but have to say, love it all. it was worth the wait.....DEVO, please, can i have more??
on June 27, 2010
Early this year, I discovered to my delight that DEVO was releasing a new album on my birthday. "Holy Crap" I thought, and for once, I had something to look forward to in the middle of June. DEVO has been part of my life since I first heard Dr. Demento play "Jocko Homo" on his syndicated radio show back around 1978. I still have my original vinyls of "Are We Not Men," "Duty Now For The Future," and "Oh No, It's DEVO." Finding other outcasts who liked DEVO in the hair-metal-heavy environment of early 1980s New Orleans meant that an outcast like me could find friends. There would practically be no MTV without DEVO - their videos were on heavy rotation for years, back when people got excited over Patty Smythe videos, and well before the "Thriller" era. Gerald Casale was even nice enough to give me permission to show their video "Beautiful World" to a class I taught, and yes, Bob Mothersbaugh autographed my piece of crap Datsun back around 1998 and bought my girlfriend and I a beer. I still feel like a dork for staring at him but hey, those guys were important to me. I still say that when the history of those bands who began in the 1970s is written (and as a historian, I wouldn't mind contributing to it), DEVO will come out as one of the most enduring, diverse, and creative bands that the United States has ever produced. For those of you who doubt this, Ryko had a 2-cassette volume of Devo rarities that I completely wore out. You think that they lacked chops and that punk edge? Listen to tapes made back when they were working in and around Akron - they were tight as hell and were also primarily guitar-based. Bob Mothersbaugh is a very underrated guitarist, and those guys rocked as hard as anybody. They were innovators, they were commentators, and they were, and are, damned-fine musicians.

So albums came and went, and DEVO changed over time up to the release of "Smoothnoodlemaps" (don't remember that one? Neither does anyone else - but I still bought it - not their best). It seemed that the brothers Mothersbaugh and Casale were content with glomming onto the Lolapalooza and reunion tour schtick, and doing movie and TV soundtracks (are you listening Danny Elfman?). I have the live video of a recent DEVO show done before a half-empty arena, and the members later acknowledging that the audience didn't quite get them. It made me want to cry. DEVO isn't allowed to get old, for Bob's sake! Who is going to warn us that we are getting too doggone dumb for our own good? Frank Zappa is gone, Oing Boingo is gone, and most of the others who could needle us good in our comfort areas have thrown in the towel (for the record, let me state that I don't think that Zappa ever "got" DEVO, but then again, no one is perfect.) I was afraid that DEVO would disappear. Then this album got made.

I'm not going to run it down track by track, because I don't want to and it isn't neccessary. This is not old DEVO. People who say that are deceived by the "Whip It" drum beat on one track, and the drum-machine-sounding rythmns throughout. Old DEVO had the great Alan Myers banging the skins, and later, the pads (although to be fair, I saw them with David Kendrick and I thought they sounded great). People are making a big deal about them making a 1980s-style record. This is hogwash - it doesn't sound like 1980s DEVO, nor does it sound like A Flock of Seagulls or Duran Duran. There is some throwback, but it sounds like nothing on "Oh No,", nor "Duty Now For The Future," "New Traditionalists," "Freedom Of Choice," or "Shout." No, this is different. Very different. And I like it for what it is.

I don't know what DEVO is becoming. I never did, and that was what makes them fun. This album still perplexes me - I don't really know what to think - and maybe that is the point. It has stuff that I really like, and some stuff that I am sort of indifferent to, but not displeased with. The tracks are all interesting; the music is good. Personally, I'd love to see them release an album that was less electronic and more guitar, bass, and drum-oriented, because I think that "Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are DEVO" is one of the most significant rock albums of the 20th century - but hey, I'm a fan. DEVO is changing again. I like this album. I hope that you will too. De-evolution is very real, people.

We Must Repeat...