Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 170 reviews
on September 8, 2008
I've been meaning to buy this album for a while just because of the first track, Burning Times. It was too expensive until this re-release showed up.

First, Burning Times and Melancholy (Holy Martyr) are two of the best songs I've ever heard. They're up there with Master of Puppets by Metallica, The Sentinel by Judas Priest, and Hallowed Be Thy Name by Iron Maiden (in my book). The whole album is very good, though. It lags a bit in the middle, but it finished incredibly strong with The Prophesy, Birth of the Wicked and The Coming Curse.

This version also features some good covers of Judas Priest's The Ripper and Black Sabbath's Electric Funeral. The packaging is basically just like a vinyl album package. It's a folding cardboard sleeve with two pockets-one for a booklet and another for the disk (which is in another smaller sleeve). The disk is a black-surface CD that looks like a tiny vinyl album.

Oh, my XBOX 360 doesn't recognize the disk, but my computer can read it just fine. Normal CD players shouldn't have any issue. I think that the black reflective surface is the reason...
on January 1, 2013
I bought this album MANY years after it came out, in a time where screamo dominates the metal scene, unfortunately. I heard Iced Earth on Brutal Legends for the Xbox 360 and instantly knew that I had to try them out. I haven't listened to their other albums, but I can say that this album is up there in my list of favorite albums. It still retains the heaviness of modern metal, while still having righteous guitar solos. If you are a fan of 80s metal and want something that isn't screamo or whatever, take a look into these guys. It is definantly worth more than the price it's being sold for, so grab it while you can.
on April 13, 2007
...the more they annoy me. I think I hate power metal.
on May 11, 2012
Today this record is a classic of heavy-power metal. Every song has its own strong points. Noone can denied the quality of this album from start to finish. Here begins the Something wicked trilogy, being this one the best of the three. For the fist time we can see Set Abominae, the equivalent of Maiden's Eddie in the cover.

The music is really good, well done, John Schaffer is the master of riff and the other guys of the band sounds really compact, very tight, displaying heavy even thrashy tunes that will make bang your head. There are a couple of power ballads too that aren't mellow or weak, the feeling is there.

Well, just buy it, go and try it your self. you can't go wrong with Something wicked. To me, the best Iced Earth album, even better than Dark Saga.
on February 4, 2013
Iced Earth has been at the top of the quality spectrum of Metal for decades now, and this album is as good as it gets. It's got classic IE heavy riffs, an instrumental, ballad-style songs, and the "Something Wicked" trilogy that is to die for. Matt Barlow is one of the greatest (if not the greatest) voice Heavy Metal has ever seen, and pairs perfectly with Jon Schaffer's unmatched writing style.
on March 1, 2014
There is a little bit of everything on this album. There are heavy songs, fast songs, epic songs, dark brooding songs, etc. This album simply covers the entire gamut of what heavy metal is. Highly recommended for any fan of metal.
on January 3, 2011
This album in my opinion is the best Iced Earth album out there, from melodic to in your face thrash, Jon Schaffer and the boys definately put it all together in this metal masterpiece. It has been in my top 5 metal albums since I bought it, originally 3 years ago, but as life would be somebody borrowed my original and I've had to get a new one. Well worth it, it is a must for true metalheads!
on December 1, 2015
A good album by a great group. I've been a fan for over 10 years now and I can say this is my favorite metal band. This album is up there, maybe top 5, of my favorite IE albums.
on October 21, 2013
Only draw back with down loads is no screen art that comes with a regular album/CD. Just a couple of slow spots but for not hearing it before down load worth the money.
on March 3, 2014
Yes, it's that good.
It renders me literally speechless.
I place this band on par with Maiden.
They really are that good.