Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 139 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 170 reviews
on December 3, 2012
I saw this movie last night. The emotions I felt left me speechless for hours. This is a must see film for any parent who has or is considering adoption - especially internationally. I am so proud of the girls who told their stories and honestly gave their perspectives on being adopted from a foreign country. They are articulate, smart, sensitive and very in touch with their feelings. I want my adopted daughter from China to see this film when she is older and asking the tough teenage questions these girls are facing about who they are. I found the reunion with the birth family thought provoking and tragic. My daughter's birth mother has been in my prayers since I made the decision to adopt from China. I was very touched by the birth father's emotions, as I had not really thought about his feelings before. I highly recommend this film. Please be certain that your child is mature enough to handle the tough questions of abandonment and birth family reunions. The content is definately PG-13 or above.
on January 16, 2013
My husband, adopted daughter (now age 15) and I have seen the movie twice now and cannot wait to have the DVD to share with friends and family. My daughter's story is very similar to Fang as they both were adopted at age 5. This immediately pulled my daughter deeper into the movie and when we discovered the director and three of the girls would be at the Music Box Theatre in Chicago we went. We all had the chance to meet them in the lobby and found everyone to be approachable and warm as they come across in the movie.

Personally, I found the adoption of Run Yi immediately transported me back to the day of our adoption. The nervous pacing in the hotel room, the shell shocked little girl, the tears...all of it came rushing back. When the movie ended I felt like I had been on an intense emotional rollercoaster, yet I couldn't wait to see it again. Tissues are mandatory for this movie.

As an adoptive parent I wondered how my daughter would react to the movie. She was evasive and got a stomach ache before seeing it, no doubt nervous about the topics. I had a feeling the movie would be unsettling, yet healing because she would see she is not alone in her thoughts. I was right. The next day she was a bit moody, but eventually we sat down for a long talk about abandonment and birth parents. She eagerly went for the second viewing and our talk after that was long and much needed. For her this film has helped her process her abandonment and what it means to be her. She is eager to learn Mandarin and wants to do volunteer work over in China. To her Fang and Jenna are role models to look to for inspiration.

I cannot recommend this movie enough, but do be aware that if you are having an adopted child watch this be prepared for some unsettled emotions afterwards.
on May 26, 2017
This documentary is amazing and so moving and powerful. What a wonderful story where one girl was able to locate her biological parents in China who had given her up. We've heard stories where China's girls were 'abandoned' but this story proves that they really weren't. They were given up with much heart ache. The father who finally found his lost daughter was so poignantly heart wrenching, I cried for him.
on April 29, 2014
I first saw this film at a special screening for families who had adopted daughters from China, attending with several parents who were part of my China adoption travel group. I couldn't wait for the DVD to be available so that I could share it with my daughter, who had just left for college.

We watched it together during her winter break and talked about each girl's experiences and reactions -- and then we turned to our own experience. While my daughter and I had often talked about her story, I thought that this film would stir up some deep feelings not yet expressed. The fact that one of the teens (Ann) found her birth parents during the filming of the documentary sparked more questions. It was especially poignant because my daughter was born in the same city and had been in the MaAnshan Children's Welfare Institute during her first 7 months (1994-1995). And, the guide Lisa had been OUR guide during a 2006 visit to MaAnshan. A small world indeed. That segment, and indeed all four stories, left my daughter wanting to know if she has birth siblings whom she might someday find.

Linda Knowlton created a very detailed and sensitive portrayal of the joys and sorrows of US-China adoptions during an extreme period of need for many of the daughters of China who are now our daughters. She's done us all a great service. I hope her own daughter and family are as happy and fulfilled with her life as my daughter and I are. Thank you, Linda.
on February 28, 2013
Loved the film. Very well produced, written and edited. Not done with a home video camera and put together overnight (my biggest fear). Charming young ladies, so many fascinating stories and one incredible reunion. As the father of an adopted Chinese orphan, I was brought to tears on several occasions by the heart touching moments in this film.
The only fault I have with the film is the portrayal of the young women as being somewhat enigmatic. Something along the lines of itinerant daughters and sisters who never truly fit in and are constantly soul searching. I believe that there is another side that was not explored: the mundane.
My daughter is such an integral part of our family that we could never view her as an "addition" to our family; she is foundational. Yes, she sometimes mentions/has questions about her birth family. But, I don't sense that she ever feels less substantiated (and certainly no less secure) about her position in our house or at school. Please understand that we embrace her Chinese roots (Chinese language classes, proudly displayed Chinese art and open discussions on current topics involving China/Asia), but unlike the majority of this movies' protagonists, I don't feel as though she will forever have a gap in her emotional psyche. That projection (of the girls) seemed to be a common theme.
I am sure that many adopted Chinese orphans are similar to the young woman from Pennsylvania, in that they don't feel incomplete and don't become fascinated with the "what if's". It is almost as if the movie goes out of it's way to reinforce the idea that these are Chinese girls who happened to be raised by an American family. Rather than, everyday sisters and daughters who also have a unique birth history and adoption story.
Overall, I am so thankful for this movie. I have such a better perspective on the issue of international/adoption and how each person copes in their own unique way.. I rented this movie, but now, plan on buying it in the near future to watch again with my daughters. I would love it if there was a follow-up film continue the stories.Great job!!!
on March 15, 2013
We came together as a family when we met our daughter in China and brought her back to the United States. This film was particularly appealing to our now-fifteen year old daughter because it features four teenagers who have been through similar experiences. We had gotten the film through our public library system, and loved it so much we bought a copy.

There are two reservations I have. One of the families went back to the hometown and posted notices, and actually found a family who said they were the birth family of this now-American girl. They submitted to DNA testing, and it turns out, they are the birth family. While this may be wonderful for this particular girl, it seems unrealistic. We have been to our daughter's hometown twice, once during the adoption process and once on a much later visit. Her town is in deep poverty, extreme conditions of poverty. Many adults sit around the main street of town basically looking depressed in the middle of the day. I can't imagine posting notices there. It's very difficult to find, and our trips there were closely monitored. The first time our guide was actually afraid for our physical safety and hurried us back into the van after we had taken photos of our daughter's discovery site. I'm hoping this didn't give our daughter an unrealistic expectation. It's very unlikely that the birth family can be found--it's illegal to abandon a child in China, so the family could get into all kinds of trouble.

My other reservation is one of money. At least one of the families returns to China on a regular basis, maybe several times a year. I explained to our daughter that the trip we took a while back engaged all our resources (we were there several weeks) and required an enormous amount of planning, from job leave-taking to finding house and pet sitters. We don't have the monetary resources to go to China often. I felt that this set up another unrealistic expectation.

Those reservations noted, the film is wonderful and completely captivated our daughter--it was about her! When our daughter is older, she will be free to pursue her roots more, and perhaps by then it will be more acceptable to the Chinese government for these Daughters of China to try to trace their beginnings and re-unite with their birth families.
on June 26, 2014
This documentary gets at the heart of so many diverse issues. Adoption, mixed families, American society, teenage-hood, rural Chinese culture, gender discrimination, stereotyping, and most importantly, the heart and mind of some very special young ladies. One cannot help but get attached to the girls who are the main subject of the documentary. No other documentary have I found that really explores the experience and search for self-identity of international adoptees, and the two worlds in which these children ultimately reside.They are Americans and they are Chinese, and yet there is a limbo of belonging that is seldom discussed. An honest and touching account in which the director seeks to help her own adopted daughter someday find answers to questions which she is too young to ask. Each girl's story is unique, and each girl's personality will charm and engage the viewer from beginning to end.
on January 22, 2013
The young women profiled in Somewhere Between are poised, articulate and thoughtful. The four were adopted from China and live diverse lives in the US. The film maker started the project to answer the questions she anticipated from her own daughter, also adopted from China as an infant. What she has chronicled is a remarkable journey for each of the young women featured. I am in awe of the honesty of the participants. The movie was not playing in my town so I went on a road trip with 3 other Mom's several months ago to see it. I can honestly say that not a day has gone by since then that I haven't thought of Somewhere Between. As a mother to two daughters adopted from China who are now nearing the teen years, I consider this movie to be a profound gift. A must see for every family with children from China, a welcome addition to the conversation on race, culture and identity .
on February 1, 2015
I found the documentary fascinating and important. My reason for not giving it 5-stars is more technical than content-based. It was sometimes confusing to follow as it jumped back and forth among the four of them and finally I found myself almost losing track. I LOVED the focus on Fang, who learned Mandarin and helped facilitate the adoption of a sweet girl, Run-Yi, with cerebral palsy. And I was deeply moved by the remarkable reunion of Haley with her birth family. Seeing that made me want to work even harder to help my daughter find hers, if at all possible. The encounter with girls adopted from England was also fascinating - hearing them talk in their British accents underscored the widely varied journeys these girls have taken, and only serendipity determines where they land up, what religion they take on, how their identities are formed and so on. This documentary is important for all adoptive families to see!
review image
on February 17, 2013
I'm the father of an adopted girl from China who is now in college. I very much appreciate that this movie is made, telling stories that need to be told and talked about openly. But all the other reviews are saying that. Let me comment on the DVD bonuses:
-The alternate ending is good; it tells you what all the girls are doing now. I don't why they didn't use it.
-I'm glad I got the second disk. It has interviews with adoption professionals, one an adoptee herself, the other has an adopted son. Both very interesing. There are also interviews with another adoptee, Lili Johnson, who talks about the transition to college. Finally away from home, people don't know her and make assumptions about her background which are often off base. She finds this exciting and empowering. Of course this is a true for many people who leave home to attend college, but for Lili it happens because she is seen without her parents.