Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Train Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 7, 2015
This book is much like many others in the vein of: "We bought a house in Italy/France/Spain ... " Not much new here,but I thoroughly enjoyed Diana's memoir. She could have been a little clearer on her to-and-fro journeys between Italy and America -- why? We know her husband still works in America for most of the book, but it is unclear why Diana flits around. Anyway, I loved the descriptions of the people and places, and was, as always, bedazzled by the way Mediterranean people live so comfortably and casually with their thousands-year-old history! Living in a country where antiquity is of recent date, this attitude fascinates me: oh, the church is a thousand years old ... so what? So this was highly enjoyable. I was not all that interested in the recipes at the end, foodie that I am -- I more enjoy descriptions of dinners and meals in books like these. Highly recommended for those who long to be able to live in another country, if only for holidays! Loved the humor.
on August 19, 2013
If you love Italy, this is not to be missed. I loved what some other reviewer disliked about this book; it is chapter after chapter of the good life in Italy. There are things to learn, characters to meet, and food and wine to wish for. Thank goodness, she includes many, many recipes. I take cooking classes every chance I get when in Italy, and this is a class in itself! I just wish I were one of her many visiting friends! I am so sorry that I have finished this book.
on April 7, 2017
This was a somewhat enjoyable book. Certainly not a page turner, but definitely gave a taste of what living in a village in Italy would be like.
on June 22, 2017
Slow reading; not enough of a story line for my liking.
on March 22, 2015
Another well written book on Italy and her people. I love the sound of small village life and wonder if it will be right for us when I retire.
on April 23, 2010
Don't miss this wonderful read that will make you laugh and cry as you follow the author's inexhaustible and often hilarious efforts to create a life in a small Italian village. As the author describes her navigation through the intricacies and vagaries of local law, customs, language and cooking, you get a strong sense of both her indomitable spirit and her open heart as she embraces all things Italian. The format of short stories makes it a quick, fun read and the clever way of introducing local foods first by describing the social occasion for which they are prepared and then including the full recipe at the end will have you longing to invite friends to share a meal. Maybe this book should come with a warning. After reading, you may feel an irresistible need to visit international airline websites and/or your closest Italian grocer.
on April 1, 2016
Really enjoyed this book. Ended a little abruptly, but thought it was good.
on January 25, 2016
I enjoyed this book very much.
on October 6, 2015
Loved this book.
on March 5, 2012
I recently bought this book, one of many travel inspired books for my collection. I feel like I am there with Diana and her family, she writes clearly and succinctly and the story entwines her own unique travel story, with wonderful recipes, delightful characters she meets along the way, and you feel like you are there with her.