Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

Song Of America
Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 22, 2016
Thomas Hampson is my most favorite male singer of all. I got to experience 8 of his Song of America recitals, and each recital was excellent. Song of America and Song of America Wondress Love have songs from the 1700s. Thomas Hampson has a radio series called Song of America about 250 years of American Song at Song of America dot net. Thomas Hampson said, "Song is a metaphor of the imagination. It is poetic thought encapsulated in music."
on January 17, 2011
Review by Donn G. Ziebell, Ph.D., Never kicked by a horse nor a mule, and author of the non-fiction Amazon book, My Letters to a Prisoner I had not met. Become an insider to the humor and private life of the writer's encounters and adventures home and abroad; a selection from over 100 letters written in six years.

Listening to classical radio one day I experienced something I heard about us as living souls. That each one of us has a personal programmed emotional response maybe to a color, word, image, or a certain musical melody. Well that happened when one of the songs on this CD was played over the air waves. It unexpectedly brought a flood of tears to my eyes because it was so beautiful, and the words resonated like some powerful national and historical American theme. That song was "Shenandoah" sung by Thomas Hampson's rich voice. I was so overwhelmed that I immediately spent much time tracking down this exact CD and purchased it. And the odd thing is that such a very short song could impact me so much! Remarkable.
on January 8, 2010
I've heard most of the great opera and lieder singers of the last 35 years, in person. Every time I leave a Thomas Hampson concert, I continue to grow in the belief that he is the greatest singer of our time. This CD is a sample of what his concerts are like. They touch and expand the mind, the heart, the spirit, and the ear, oftentimes many of these in the same song. He has an uncanny knack for finding the heart of the material and expressing it with the widest array of colors and expression of anyone I've heard. I confess that some of the newer songs are difficult for me to absorb and understand on first hearing, and I'm looking forward to repeated hearings to better "get" their message. It is the one luxury of the CD that cannot be created in the concert hall. The CD is a wonderful sampling of a wide array of American song, and worth hearing on many levels.

My only regret is that he is apparently yet to record "A letter to Mrs. Bixby," by Michael Daugherty, set to the prose text of a letter written by Abraham Lincoln to a mother of 5 deceased civil war soldiers; it was the emotional highlight of his "Song for America" concert in San Francisco in September, 2009. Perhaps in Volume 3...
on January 12, 2013
I have loved hearing Thomas Hampson sing for the past fifteen years. His voice is well controlled, he has a clear, sensitive interpretation of his music whether it is a lullaby or a complicated operatic aria. He was raised in Washington State and is well known in this part of the country as one of the "good old boys." But he equally at home in the concert and operatic stages of the world. To hear him sing of our wonderful country is a musical experience, a patriotic experience and a personal experience that one will not soon forget.
on September 1, 2013
I was not familiar with Hampson's music and bought it because I liked the songs on the CD.
After listening both my husband and I were simply delighted. Hampson has a marvelous
strong voice and we were impressed at how versatile he was by the wide range of songs he
was able to sing. We will definitely buy more CD's featuring this artist.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Thomas Hampson is now touring the country with his tribute called SONG OF AMERICA . For those who think this recording is associated with that ongoing recital, it is not what to expect to hear on the stage now. This special Library of Congress collection is a fine assortment of American composers and their songs that Hampson has long been promoting. It is a compilation, yes, and a worth one at that. If the listener needs to know what is on the recoding (artist, accompanist, friends etc) then the following will help explain why this is so special and why not to expect a new recoding of Hampson's current touring project.

The songs and their performers are listed here:

As Adam early in the morning, for voice & piano by Ned Rorem, performed by Thomas Hampson and Craig Rutenberg
Ah! May the Red Rose Live Alway for voice & piano by Stephen Foster performed by David Alpher, Thomas Hampson, Molly Mason, Molly Mason and Jay Ungar
Shenandoah, folk song, performed by Armen Guzelimian and Thomas Hampson
Beautiful Dreamer for voice & piano by Stephen Foster, performed by David Alpher, Thomas Hampson, Molly Mason and Jay Ungar
Danny Deever for voice & piano by Walter Damrosch, performed by Armen Guzelimian and Thomas Hampson
Roses of Picardy for voice & piano by Haydn Wood, performed by Armen Guzelimian and Thomas Hampson
Jeanie with the Light Brown Hair for voice & piano by Stephen Foster, Performed by David Alpher, Thomas Hampson, Molly Mason, Michael Parloff and Jay Ungar
Hard Times Come Again No More for voice & piano by Stephen Foster, performed by Garrison Keillor, David Alpher, Thomas Hampson, Molly Mason, Molly Mason, Mark Rust, Tony Trischka and Jay Ungar
Molly Do You Love Me? for voice & piano by Stephen Foster, performed by Thomas Hampson, Molly Mason and Jay Ungar
An Old Song Re-sung, song for voice & piano (Poems by John Masefield No. 1) by Charles Tomlinson Griffes, performed by Armen Guzelimian and Thomas Hampson
Tomorrow for alto, chorus & orchestra, Op 33, "When You Are Gone" by Erich Wolfgang Korngold, performed by Armen Guzelimian and Thomas Hampson
The Erie Canal performed by Armen Guzelimian and Thomas Hampson
We Two, by Elinor Remick Warren, performed by Thomas Hampson and Craig Rutenberg
The Nightingale, performed by Armen Guzelimian and Thomas Hampson
Comrades Fill My Glass No More for voice & piano by Stephen Foster, performed by David Alpher, Thomas Hampson, Molly Mason, Evan Stover and Jay Ungar
Luke Havergal for voice & piano, by John Woods Duke, performed by Armen Guzelimian and Thomas Hampson
To What You Said, for voice & piano by Leonard Bernstein, performed by Thomas Hampson and Craig Rutenberg
Look Down Fair Moon, for voice & piano by Charles Naginski, performed by Thomas Hampson and Craig Rutenberg
Dirge for Two Veterans for voice & piano (or orchestra) (Walt Whitman Songs No. 3) by Kurt Weill, performed by Thomas Hampson and Craig Rutenberg
Ethiopia Saluting the Colors, for voice & piano by Harry (Henry) Thacker Burleigh, performed by Thomas Hampson and Craig Rutenberg

These songs are from various albums and for many of us they represent the highlights of those individual albums. Here they flow like honey and are performed with great dignity, respect and warmth by Thomas Hampson - and friends. Highly recommended. Grady Harp February 12
This is a sterling collection of American songs from their chief modern exponent. Only Ben Heppenr's similar recital comes close, and it's limited to Anglo-American sentimental ballads and operetta. Starting with "An Old Song Resung" (1890), the most stunning recital of old-fashioned platform songs since the golden era of Lawrence Tibbett (one of Hampson's heroes), we've had an exemplary album of Stephen Foster and another of modern songs inspired by the poetry of Walt Whitman. These are the sources for the compilation offered here.

This CD has earned harsh reviews here for being a compilation, but it's not marketed as anything else. I, too, wish that there was new material. Yet I would be much sorrier if propsective buyers didn't have a chance to hear in full the three CDs from which this one is drawn. All are indispensable.
on October 3, 2006
I don't think this recording deserves One Star ratings or that the artist deserves such crude bashing. And re: Hampson's eye-colour.... Uh, these aren't lenses? He has blue eyes. I met him many times and...indeed, they are dark blue.

Anyhow, this is what Hampson is focusing on right now, American song. While those aren't exactly my thing I have to say that he sings them beautifully. I wish he'd stick to that rather than heavy Verdi and Wagner which his voice isn't right for.
on November 18, 2005
I had the pleasure of hearing Mr. Hampson perform in Fort Worth as part of his tour in collaboration with the Library of Congress. The recital was very engaging, and this world famous baritone sang very beautifully. After wards, I had the opportunity to purchase this cd and have Mr. Hampson autograph it. What a nice man! I played the cd on my way back home. I think the selections on this cd are wonderful. I especially recommend listening to the arrangement of Beautiful Dreamer, Roses of Picardy, and Look Down Fair Moon.
on June 12, 2006
I am a huge Tom fan. I go to his concerts and buy all of his CDs. I must say that I have been disappointed by this CD because it's entirely made of old recordings. There's a new photo on the cover, but that's all that is new here. So if you've bought your share of Tom CDs over the years, you want to check out the track info before you guy this one.

Now, Tom has been on tour and I STRONGLY recommend that you go see him next year when he comes through your city.

The other thing really annoying is that on the CD where you'd expect information about the music or the recording co., you instead get a large warning label from the FBI on pirating.