Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 7, 2016
This review is primarily to give a feedback on the sizes of leather bound and paperback printed books. I initially bought leather bound books. They were really pretty and paper quality was very good. But the down side is they are really small books. So I got the paperback edition books. These books are bigger than leather bound and easy to read. So it totally depends on the customer what size book you would like to buy. I attached a photo to compare. Hope this helps
review image
1313 comments| 2,381 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 27, 2015
Extremely pleased with this leather edition. Absolutely stunning. Ten times more gorgeous in person.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
1515 comments| 582 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 22, 2015
What could be said about Game of Thrones, the first of George R.R. Martin's epic series, that hasn't been said a million times? It's absolutely brilliant. Going into these books (I read them after the show began but before I'd seen the show...), I enjoyed my share of sci-fi/fantasy along the lines of Harry Potter, Buffy the Vampire Slayer... fairly light-hearted stuff (in comparison, at least) that always felt grounded in the same world I live in. The one genre I really disliked was "Middle Ages Fantasy" as I called it. Lord of the Rings, for instance, while the films were visually appealing, was not my cup of tea... too detached from reality. So when I first saw articles and clips from the HBO Game of Thrones series, I thought it looked like the one type of fantasy series that I would never enjoy. I held out for a looong time, until 3 different friends of mine with similar tastes in books/shows/films promised me that, while they too disliked this sub-genre of fantasty, this series was different, and I HAD to read the books or start the show. Grudgingly, I picked up the first book, figuring that I'd push myself half-way through it and let me friends know I tried and they were totally wrong.

Of course they weren't wrong.

What George R.R. Martin has done here defies genre, period. It doesn't matter if you're like me and don't care for this sub-genre of fantasy... it doesn't matter if your like my spouse, and don't like fantasy at all. If you enjoy brilliant, incredibly-developed, thought-provoking stories... those with a strongly developed cast of characters who blissfully lack being "good vs. evil" and instead all display their shades of grey, good traits, evil traits, unique traits, all sorts of traits... then this book is for you. Buy it. Open it up. Start reading. You won't regret it.
66 comments| 202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 18, 2015
To be clear, I'm not writing a review of a plot. I love the books and I was happy when I got them.

However, my issue is with the books themselves. When I got to the second book I noticed that approximately 70 pages are missing. I can't tell if this is the case for the rest of the books, but I'm certainly dissatisfied with the product.
review image review image
77 comments| 463 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 19, 2017
New titles? How can this be when I already own the FIVE-book series? When did Martin write two additional books and re-title them since I read them last year? This is blatant phishing for money, readers!! Buy the FIVE- book set, and save your money. There is no such thing as a seven-book GoT set with these titles. Research will set you free.
66 comments| 140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 11, 2016
First off I fell in love with this show on HBO. The characters, the story, the drama so I knew I would eventually get the books. When I found out there was a collectible leather edition I was extra excited. And then when I got a gift card for $25 I knew I would get this set immediately.

However, the reviews scared me off. I was afraid the books would be "too small" to read, or "pages would be missing", or even have a "funny smell" to them. All these things I've read in previous reviews. All of which, for my taste at least, has not been a problem. I was under the impression it would be the "size of a pocket bible" and the pages were so thin u could see through them like bible paper. Not the case for me.

The set arrived 4 days early and to my surprise they were really heavy, good quality, smaller books. Not nearly as small as my pocket bible. All of my pages are here (from what I can tell) and although I doubt the quality of the "leather" it still feel great in hand and is just stunning to look at. Also the lettering is perfect for reading, sure it's not your normal size but it is still a big enough size that I don't even need my glasses to read it. The colors are gorgeous and it looks great on my book shelf.

I've included pictures to show its beauty and also compare the size to an actual pocket bible and its paper.

If your a Game Of Thrones fan like I am and u like collectibles this is a product for you. I hope the pictures and this review can help someone take these reviews just as a mere opinion and make the decision for themselves.

Now let me start reading!
review image review image review image review image
0Comment| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 21, 2016
great series of books and definitely worth the read. only complaint i have is how flimsy the covers are, you have to be careful how you hold the book otherwise you'll end up bending the leather and having to straighten out, and if you plan on reading this in public anywhere prepare to be asked of you are reading the bible.
on October 15, 2017
Review is about the publishing not the writing! Auuugh how can anyone read such tiny tiny print! I am so sorry I wasted the money and did not get a large hardback version! Waste of money, bad printing decision!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 14, 2013
George R. R. Martin is a literary crackerjack. His episodic, massively detailed, completely fleshed-out, throughly chronicled world of Westeros complete with a multitude of characters is an undeniable page turner. Starting in the cold hard packed lands of the north filled with honor bound men and many a thing that goes bump in the night, the reader is led south to the seat of power in the Red Keep-- the iron throne. On this journey, you meet both pawns and kings and realize quickly that every act in public and promise in secret is building towards a power coup that could end the realm. Trouble descends from every direction. Intrigue is plotted in every shadow. And no one-- I mean no one-- is safe. Who will win the match and live to see another day? Because in the game of thrones you either win, or you die.

This book just does it for me on so many levels. Martin's style is fully detailed but not overly flowery. I appreciate the succinct way he describes the people, the places, and the power struggles. It allows you to get engrossed in your imagination without getting swamped in the mountains of words on the pages. That is not to say that this is a brief read. This book is long, but I think even the faint of heart will look up several hours later and realize they have read 200 pages. Don't let the thickness of the book dissuade you from the fabulous story inside.

Characters are the mortar that binds this book together. Martin's story is chocked full of some amazing people. Some of my personal favorites are:
*Jon Snow the bastard(Martin's words not mine) son of an otherwise honorable man who leaves his family in search of adventure beyond Winterfell.
*Arya Stark the rough and tough young lady of the north using a sharp tongue and shaper sword to get into all kinds of trouble and scrapes both at home and in the capital.
*Tyrion Lannister the ill-begotten dwarf son of the richest of men who uses his brain in the absence of brawn.

Martin is also talented at writing characters you hate. Some that I loathe are:
*Prince Joffery Baratheon the cruel, painfully immature, and frighteningly merciless young king to be.
*Ser Ilyn Payne the mutilated and muted knight bent on delivering the king's justice... with his axe.
*Queen Cersei Baratheon the cunning, manipulative, and grasping woman beside the king who'll stop at nothing and step over anyone to stay on top.
And this is really only the briefest of lists. So many characters to love and loathe and then loathe and love in turns. Get reading!

The book is so good that I need to give you a disclaimer. DO NOT watch the HBO series first if you can help it. Season One of GOT did such an amazing job recreating Martin's book that it steals a bit of the glory from the novel if viewed before the book. Many of the conversations and small details are EXACTLY like the book.

But some things just can't be transferred to the silver screen. The book has a few third person perspectives that really add to the feel of the tangled tale not to mention the overall story that I believe Martin is trying to tell. Knowing some things before hand can cause the book to feel like a doomed march to destruction, an illusion that Martin meticulously suspends-- until the silent sword is already swung catching the reader unawares and doubtless unprepared on several occasions. Besides, the series will rob you of the opportunity of imagining some of the characters-- personally, my favorite part of reading books like this.

Overall this book is a 5 Commendable Yarn. I say 5 because I stayed up until 2am on several nights reading, the consequences of a tired day with twins to come be hanged. That and I am telling absolute strangers to read this book. I am hooked. I am trying to pace myself so that I don't finish the books too soon before the next one comes out, but I started Clash of Kings yesterday and am halfway through...
on February 10, 2016
It's Game of Thrones! I already knew I was going to love it. The only thing keeping me from giving it a 5/5 is it had some noticeable spelling errors, which seems silly for a world wide published comic adaptation of a best seller, and also some of the characters portrayals just weren't that good, almost like a formulaic outline for drawing any random comic character. The main character I noticed this with was Catelyn Stark. It just seemed like the artists was like, "oh, I'm drawing a naked, older woman. Better make her look sexy and 20 years younger and give her big breasts."
Other than that, the book is good. I don't know if I would buy it again for the price I paid for it but it's "Game of Thrones" so I wouldn't expect less.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse