Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Songs From The Road
Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 19, 2010
I downloaded the audio album. (I have not seen the DVD, but I will.) It is wonderful. I am overwhelmed by it and moved to tears. And, no, that doesn't happen often. Yes, I am a Cohen fan, and I was privileged to see and hear him in this tour. So, I don't claim objectivity. It doesn't replace the Live in London CD/DVD, but it includes songs not in that collection. And one or two versions are completely new to me. Seeing him on stage, I thought the performances were fully rehearsed - and great - and would be much the same at every concert. But I guess not. This collection makes me wish I could have followed him around on the tour. His backup musicians help make it the masterpiece it is. They, too, are wonderful.

Leonard Cohen is a genius and one of the greatest living artists in any genre. I can only listen to the music of two people over and over and never be disappointed or bored - J.S. Bach and Leonard Cohen.

I really am sorry to gush, but it's my honest reaction. I wish Amazon allowed six stars.
on June 18, 2013
no matter how many of his works are on your shelf... add this one as a keepsake.
The musician ship is profound and the backstage track allows the musicians to
speak about their relationship to the music and to Leonard. Imagine being on the
road with Cohen for two years! what depth... and the tracks selected were the
one's that Leonard pronounced as having something special to them...out of all
of the performances of the same piece.

Very.... zen.... Very...Leonard at home
on September 14, 2010
I was two rows back, on the floor, at the Kingston Ontario show in May of 2009 when Cohen played The Partisan. It sent chills up my spine, made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. It was that good.

Songs From the Road contains a Helsinki performance of The Partisan that's so intense it did it once again. "Through the graves the wind is blowing. Freedom soon will come".

In addition there are seven other songs that weren't on Live In London (only four are repeated). Taken together they round out the record of what must be one of the most amazing tours ever. All performed by a man in his mid seventies.

Go figure.

Apart from The Partisan, the standouts for me are Famous Blue Raincoat, Lover, Lover, Lover, and Waiting for the Miracle. Famous Blue Raincoat includes what must be one of the most sultry and soulful sax solos ever laid down by the incomparable Dino Soldo. Lover, Lover, Lover throbs with the insistency of unrequited desire, set against the flowing virtuosity of Javier Mas. And Waiting For the Miracle broods with an almost unimaginable darkness.

The only song that doesn't work for me is Avalanche ("I stepped into an avalanche, it covered up my soul"). The original version on Songs of Love and Hate is defined by a raw and menacing cello line which here is absent. Considering that the musicians in Cohen's band seem each to play a multiplicity of instruments, it doesn't seem like it would have been a stretch for musical director Roscoe Beck to put down the 5 string electric bass and contrabass to pick up a cello for the part.

But it was not to be...
on April 23, 2017
It's Leonard Cohen...of course it's a magnificent recording!
on April 12, 2017
The DVD was interesting to watch as it shed some light on the way Leonard's tours worked. I also own other versions of some of the songs so it was great to hear them played and sung slightly differently.
on July 28, 2017
A Leonard Cohen must have.........
on September 19, 2017
Great song selection!
on February 28, 2017
Very happy with this record. A must-have.
on December 6, 2010
Songs From The Road is a delight in every way. I've been a Cohen fan since seeing him in Austin when he taped an Austin City Limits show in the 80's. But never before the recordings from his current world tour have I so enjoyed instrumental solos as much as I enjoy these.

In addition to being an outstanding singer/songwriter/poet/entertainer, Cohen assembled world-class musicians who help to make these recordings an exceptional pleasure. I'm partial to the sax performances by Dino Soldo, but my musician husband rhapsodizes over guitarist Bob Metzger and bassist/music director Roscoe Beck. Everybody on the stage for these performances is excellent.

Songs From the Road makes me happy every time I play either the DVD or the CD. It's a joy just to know these recordings exist.
on July 31, 2014
I've been a "fringe" fan of Leonard Cohen for many years. I've liked many of his songs (especially as covered by Judy Collins) but had only bought one of his albums, "Songs of Love and Death" mainly due to the inclusion in it of "Avalanche" which, when I first heard it, pressed all my buttons. I purchased this cd/dvd on a whim, and was, simply, blown away, especially by the dvd. I simply cannot recommend this album more highly.