Workplace Solutions Best of the Year Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Gift with Purchase Gifts for Him hgg16 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services westworld westworld westworld  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Outdoor Deals on Amazon Baby Gift Guide
Customer Discussions > Songs From The Silver Screen forum

Songs for Jackie to Sing

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 16, 2012 9:12:26 PM PDT
Ehkzu says:
What songs would you like Jackie to sing, and why?

One thing to remember:Jackie has a 2 1/2 octave range in the songs she sings in public, and a wider range in private. Most pop songs have a 1 octave range. That doesn't mean she can't do them, but the average pop song doesn't exploit her fabulous instrument.

Still fire away. Pop? Standards? Classical? Opera? Jazz? Folk? Foreign?

If you think she should do a song of the country she's in at each concert in that country, which should it be? In Japan? In Russia? In France? In Italy? In Australia? In the Philippines?

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 7:04:34 AM PDT
In the movie theme & Pittsburgh connection my dream song & collaberation at the moment would be Jackie singing "Moon River" (Henry Mancini) accompanied by guitarist Joe Negri & The Pittsburgh Symphony Pops. Joe Negri is an amazing guitarist from Pittsburgh who so impressed Michael Feinstein that he recorded an album with him.

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 7:57:19 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 25, 2012 7:57:52 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 9:09:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2012 9:09:55 AM PDT
Lezleyboom says:
I made this post over at JEFC and thought it might also be appreciated here:

I've just come home from a show of a friend of mine, Suellen Cusack (an opera singer who is just starting her foray into the world of Classical-Crossover). One of the main highlights of the show for me was her performance of Into The West [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_West_(song) ] , a powerfully moving song from the closing credits to Return of the King, the third and final part to the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

On the drive home all I could think of was how Jackie would sound singing such a beautifully raw and hopeful lament.

The original for the movie was performed by Annie Lenox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N6BzU7RvDI

It has been covered by a signed artist once to my knowledge, by a New Zealand singer Yulia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvsqV3ElK2M

The song itself is quite beautiful, but also specifically with regards to Jackie current theme of 'Songs from the Silver Screen', that is, songs which somehow capture the essence of a story and stay in your heart and mind long after the lights go up. The Lord of the Rings trilogy was certainly an epic, and for me and thousands of others holds a very special place above all other films. As the closing song to the closing film, Into the West, amongs other things, recalls and prolongs the whole trilogy that went before and for fans of the film it was a fitting farewell to the journey on which the story took us.

Thoughts?

PS:
While on the topic of screen adaptations of Tolkien's Middle Earth, how awesome would it be for Jackie to perform a song for one of the upcoming prequels to LOTR - The Hobbit - which has now been announced as another trilogy (classic Peter Jackson). Why she may (or perhaps not?) have missed the boat for the first, due to release towards the end of 2012, there are two more films in the works.

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 10:22:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2012 8:42:36 AM PDT
Lezleyboom says:
As I hope and dream of Jackie gracing the shores of my Austral home, and in answer to the question posed by Ezkhu, it may be fun to think of an Australian song suitable for Jackie to sing on a Down Under tour...

First of all it must be admitted that as a young country the selection of classical-crossoverable (yes, I made that word up) sounding folk tunes is relatively sparse, a void often filled with folk songs from the British Isles. But at least that makes selecting a song a less labourious task. Also, many of our national songs would simply just not work being sung by a non-Australia (songs such as 'I Still Call Australia Home', 'I am Australian', or the National Anthem 'Advance Australia Fair'). Another factor in choosing a song would whether it's place in a concert set was intended to be light and fun, or whether a song with more gravitas was desired.

With some gravitas:

Botany Bay *by far the best of the bunch for Jackie* - a song from the musical burlesque, Little Jack Sheppard, a comedy staged in London, England, in 1885 and Melbourne, Australia, in 1886. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botany_Bay_%28song%29 ) So in fact this particular tune also fits in with Jackie's currect stage and screen song selection. While from a comedic musical, the humour of the song is quite black and this cheeky melancholic ballad contains both deep sadness, defiance and is now laced with bursting buds of hope for our great country born of that hell-hole of a penal colony. The song holds a special place in many Australians hearts.
Best rendition by Mirusia Lourwerse with Andre Rieu ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhU2VYpxNoQ ) who gives elevates the song above a simple folk melody into something quite moving, and I would think should/would serve as insipration for any rendition by Jackie.

*Moreton Bay - a Folk Song attributed to Francis MacNamara. It tells of the hardship a convict has experienced at different penal settlements around Australia, in particular, the penal colony at Moreton Bay which was established to house convicts that reoffended in settlements in New South Wales. One advantage o this one is that it includes references to many part of the country (as the narrator recalls all the settlements he got dragged over as a convict). Of course, being a tale of convict life it's pretty brutal which may raise the question about appropriateness for Jackie. For example: "For three long years I was beastly treated | And heavy irons on my legs I wore | My back with flogging is lacerated | And often painted with my crimson gore | And many a man from downright starvation | Lies mouldering now underneath the clay"
Here one rendition: http://youtu.be/4KnbyrUSjU8?t=2m14s

*The Plains of Emu (AKA The Exile's Lament or The Exile of Erin) - attributed to "M" of Anambaba. The setting is Emu Plains, an agricultural establishment and convict settlement 57 kilometres west of Sydney. The apparent author would,be an Irish political convict, perhaps a rebel of 1798, on lifetime sentence, felling the native timber to clear the land for farming. Rich in poetry and one of the few around that lacks some of the harsh and bloody imagery which might make it more suitable for Jackie. It also contains a number of references to the native Australian flora and fauna which I'm sure Jackie would love. Lyrics - http://folkstream.com/071.html
Here's a [partial] rendition by Tina Lawton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQfhxEqQNhc
As you can see in Tina's rendition, there's room for Jackie to move with regards to a few soaring highs.
To slightly different tune, here is another very nice and moving rendition by a male singer: http://www.cloudstreet.org/sounds/ozfolksongaday/plainsofemu.mp3

Waltzing Matilda - Australia's most widely known bush ballad. A country folk song, the song has been referred to as "the unofficial national anthem of Australia" The title is Australian slang for travelling by foot with one's goods (waltzing, derived from the German auf der Walz) in a "Matilda" (swag/sturdy sleeping-bag) slung over one's back. The song narrates the story of an itinerant worker, or "swagman", making a drink of tea at a bush camp and capturing a sheep to eat. When the sheep's owner arrives with three police officers to arrest the worker for the theft, the worker commits suicide by drowning himself in the nearby watering hole, after which his ghost haunts the site. The original lyrics were written in 1895 by Australian most famous poet and nationalist Banjo Paterson. The subject matter would be quite dark for little Jackie I do admit... but that has never stopped it being sung by primary schools throughout the country here, lol.
Mirusia Louwerse has also performed this song with Andre Rieu ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uUHM8mFKsk )

And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda - a song written by Scottish-born Australian singer-songwriter Eric Bogle in 1971. The song describes war as futile and gruesome, while criticising those who seek to glorify it. This is exemplified in the song by the account of a young Australian soldier who is maimed at the Battle of Gallipoli during the First World War. The song incorporates the melody and a few lines of lyrics of "Waltzing Matilda" at its conclusion. Many cover versions of the song have been performed and recorded.
Here is a rendition by the Irish Tenors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VktJNNKm3B0

Light songs, none of which would really show of the beauty of Jackie's voice... but they would be fun:

Home Among The Gum Trees - a popular Australian song written in 1974 by Wally Johnson and Bob Brown. The more traditional rendition can be seen here at Steve Irwin's memorial service ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBqiFkkB9sE ) but the song has also been performed by Mirusia with Andre Rieu (here's just Andre and his orchestra doing it in a medley http://youtu.be/1yBmJbC3woo?t=1m7s )

Or if you really want to get silly there's the classic,
Tie Me Kangaroo Down - a song written by Rolf Harris in 1957 which became a hit across the world in the 1960s. If you ignore the ice-skating visuals, here a youtube of Mirusia singing this one with Andre - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcpHQCKARd0

*These two aren't particularly widely known, but still good and the subject matter would be very familiar. In fact it would be well appreciated to have some of them revived.
[Edited with a few additions]

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 1:17:06 PM PDT
Salto says:
Given that she sings 'Ombra mai fu' about as well as anyone I have ever heard or can now imagine, I would definitely buy a Jackie Evancho 'Handel-themed' CD. There would be several arias just from 'Messiah' that would give her ample opportunity to display her other-worldly gift to the faithful (faithful in both senses, fan and spiritual). Having said that, I'm not quite sure I'm emotionally ready to hear Jackie sing 'I Know That My Redeemer Liveth'.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 3:20:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 3:37:16 PM PST
I posted this idea under a Youtube video, but thought it might be more constructive to post it here too, in longer form.

One thing I have noticed since following shows like America's Got Talent on Youtube is that the very best singers to emerge from these shows end up basically doing the same thing in their careers. I'm talking about Susan Boyle, Paul Potts, Jonathan Antoine and of course, Jackie Evancho. (By the way, I think Jackie is the most naturally gifted singer out of all of these, although perhaps Antoine is right along with her. She certainly has the most pleasing voice.)

Maybe it's just the nature of the "classical crossover" genre, but when you look at the track listings of their CDs, they all end up sort of blurring together. It seems their entire catalogs are made up of already established classics and pop standards. For me, this is fine ... for a while. When Jackie came on the scene, her voice was so pure that she honestly could've sung the Pizza Hut menu and it would've been okay. And to hear a 10-year-old sing classic well known songs in a powerfully operatic style was a novelty in itself.

But now that she's a little older, and I see the track listing to her "Silver Screen" CD, I worry she's in danger of become indistinguishable from all the other great singers to have come out of these shows. They all just seem to keep continuing doing cover versions of standards and--even though many are excellent treatments of those songs--after a while it starts to feel like really good karaoke.

I've been enamored with Evancho since I saw a few Youtube clips of her, so I know she's capable of genius. But think of what a person coming into this cold thinks. They see the CD cover photos and the track listings of various people like Evancho and Jonathan Antoine and whatnot, and there's almost no distinguishing between them as artists. Many of the songs are even the same. (The Prayer is starting to get ridiculous. If I was an up-and-coming singer, I would flat out refuse to sing it at this point because it's been so overdone. Lucky for me, I can't carry a tune in a bucket so I don't have to face this dilemna.)

In Jackie's performances from 2010 and 2011, she was rightly being hailed as a prodigy. Someone new and potentially great, better than just a "really good singer." I wish any future material she released would reflect that, live up to that potential. Something original and unique to her, not just her voice.

Think of the most well known pop artists and groups, even rock acts, of the last few decades. I can't really think of any that made a career doing exclusively cover tunes. They all built careers on performing original material (either written by them, or for them) that were then associated by the public exclusively with them. (Even "The Prayer," as much as it's been covered, is mostly associated with Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli because they did it first.)

In my ideal world, Evancho would take a few years off. (Partly because I'm concerned about her voice, as to my ears, it doesn't have the same bell-like effortlessness as it once did. This could just be a natural result of her growing, but I also worry it could be a sign of over-use at a pre-adolescent age, and I figure why not play it safe.) But also this would give her a chance to reinvent herself. She could take a break for a while, think about what kind of things she'd like to say or express on an original album, and then come back as a true original artist, someone with something specific to say musically. I know some could argue that simply by singing a song, she's putting her personal stamp on it, but to my way of thinking, if she was involved with writing the song from scratch--or if it was a brand new song written for her--it would be even *more* musically specific to her.

I've really been out of touch with popular music for a few years now, so I won't be able to make very informed analogies here. But my impression is that there are some very well respected pop artists that don't quite fit the mold of one subgenre or another. (Names such as Birdy or Regina Spektor or the late, troubled Amy Winehouse come to mind--although to be honest, I'm not really familiar with their work. Stay with me here.)

If none of those singers seem appealing nor would make a good fit for Evancho, keep in mind I'm just throwing them out as examples. They are people that--whether one likes them or not--have/had their own style and their own things they wanted to say, not just in lyrics, but in the music styling as well. I would be thrilled if a future album from Jackie--even if it sounded nothing like those artists--was similarly a unique expression of herself. (And it could be a compromise. It could still have the classical crossover appeal that people--and I assume Jackie herself--enjoy, but perhaps with more of an edge, more of a personal statement, and more of a unique sensibility.)

Personally? I think it would be cool if Jackie went all out and did a concept album ala something Pink Floyd would do. She could take the best aspects of pop music (dramatic self expression) and the classical crossover genre (a certain soothing quality that most ages would enjoy). It can be done. I can't help but think how great it would be if Jackie had a track like the famous one by "Adiemus" on a future album. (Not that song specifically, of course, but something like it.) Something that was grand where her "opera-esque" voice would fit like a glove, something that didn't sound like a typical "pop song," yet also something with the potential for mass appeal. That Adiemus song is played a LOT all over the place. (The rest of the Adiemus catalog seems pretty mediocre to me, though; I'm just talking about that one song.)

I'm assuming David Foster and Jackie are still good aquaintances. Perhaps he might be able to help her steer away from the "cover songs rut" I talk of. I realize there's a risk in this, in that such a direction might not have the same mainstream appeal. But I look at it differently. I think if she made a name for herself with songs as exclusive to her as Aerosmith's songs are to them (or whomever), that would be the best shot of her having a longer career in which people really remembered her name.

(And she wouldn't have to go completely cold turkey. She could mix it up. An original album here, back to some standards there.)

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 10:14:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 12:58:28 PM PST
So this next post veers more into "personal wish list" territory: The concept album idea.

Before, I mentioned how I felt it would be good if Jackie had an album (at least one) of mostly original material. And I do feel this could be done in a way that: (1) Satisfies her classical crossover fanbase (2) Is still innovative, conveys a specific creative sensibility, and is a stand-out within the classical crossover genre (3) Can garner her more mainstream success without any "selling out" required.

NARNIA, THE LION THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE soundtrack: I was listening to this the other day and I realized that this is a model that could inspire an appropriate concept album for Jackie. (Note: I used the word "inspire." All of the songs I mention here because I think it would be good for Jackie to have songs *like* them, not that I want her to cover them.)

If anyone is unfamiliar with concept albums, they're basically albums in which a lot of the songs (but maybe not all) can stand on their own, yet all share a unifying theme. They may all tell one story or convey a main idea. Not only is there an overriding consistency in subject matter, but sometimes--like with a movie score--musical themes can repeat themselves. I have found that with most concept albums, even though the listener gets the sense that there is a larger story being presented to them, it's kept just vague enough that--like with any album--enjoyment can be had by coming up with your own interpretation as to the artist's intent.

At least that is the case with the kind of concept albums I am most familiar--the later Pink Floyd albums (most famously "The Wall"), and then former Floyd bassist Roger Waters' solo albums. ("The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" and "Amused to Death" being the standouts.) Greenday's "American Idiot" is another well-known example of a concept album. On concept albums the songs often seem to flow into one another, so that the next song sounds like it is "meant to" follow the preceding one. Sometimes--and this happens all the time with Roger Waters--there is actually no break or silence between tracks.

Which brings us back to the NARNIA soundtrack: Not only is it lovely (and would seemingly appeal to the same core audience as Jackie's), but it has that sense of "cohesion" that most concept albums have,(which isn't exactly a shocker since this is movie soundtrack.) True, there are no flat out classical crossover songs on it. And I would still definitely want any Jackie Evancho album to be comprised mostly of such songs, songs which showcase her "opera-like" voice. (As I said before, something epic similar to that Adiemus song would be great on such an album. I also think something moody like "Lovers" would fit in well here.)

But there are also some non-classical-crossover tracks on Narnia that I can easily imagine fitting into such a project: "Can't Take It In" by Imogen Heap and "Where" performed by Lisbeth Scott. Yes, these are basically modern-rock/pop, but to my ear, they also have hints of classical-crossover (particularly in the ambient backing vocals which have that soprano sound). If Jackie had a couple (just a couple) songs like that on an album, I think people would be delighted. They might even get her some radio play.

I'd also like to mention a couple of the orchestral score pieces on the Narnia soundtrack: "Evacuating London" and "From Western Woods to Beaversdam." These are not "songs" per se, but they do evoke a sense of story in the listener and have at least a sparing presence of vocals. It might sound weird to include such tracks on a classical crossover album, but that's part of what would make this album innovative. Imagine how cool it would be if interspersed within the "normal" songs, there were these little interludes that were mostly orchestral, but still had Jackie's vocals involved. Such tracks could serve both to hint at a larger story, but also help act as a thematic bridge between the more conventional tracks.

I can see the album cover now. Jackie is standing in the woods looking into the camera. A pretty photo which by all counts would be acceptably generic and mainstream-until one glimpses the broken board in her hand. You know, just something a little "off" to hint that a larger story is being told and that this is not a typical classical crossover album.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 2:11:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 3:18:24 PM PST
I just watched "Meet Joe Black" again, and very near the end, they played "What a wonderful World", and I started imagining Jackie's voice, and then it occurred to me that when Louie Armstrong sang "What A Wonderful World", his voice made it sound like a "life's retrospective". I used to like the song well enough until Jackie sang it and turned it on it's ear, with her forward looking slant to this song, turning it into a song of discovery of a world and a life worth living.

However, right after that, they bridged into the Finale Theme, and I got to be thinking that its haunting, wistful yet soaring melody was PERFECTLY SUITED for Jackie to have some words put to it, and her voice could turn it into a tour-de-force!

I found a link to it. It's entitled "That Next Place", and it was written and composed by Thomas Newman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bNU7Gksy2o

While "Meet Joe Black" is a remake of "Death takes a Holiday", that one final theme could easily stand for anything Jackie and her writers want it to, and make it into something as noteworthy as "Nella Fantasia" or "Se" from Ennio Moricone.

I wonder if Thomas Newman knows there is a voice out there with the subtlety, grace and range who could make this theme truly soar?

Edit Add: I can just imagine one of Newman's creations being sung at the Oscars, with the singer (JME) in an enlarged silhouette behind a translucent screen for the first verses, followed by Jackie appearing from behind the screen during the interlude, and, as she sings the final verses, just flooring everyone as she sings her way to front center stage!

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 3:36:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 12:55:07 PM PST
Songs From the Silver Screen ... II:

Okay, I know this is getting a little sad and disturbing, but I had another idea. In case it wasn't obvious before, I was disappointed with the approach and track selection for Songs from the Silver Screen. It felt like a regression of sorts. I know this sounds dramatic, but in my opinion some of the song titles are "beneath" a person of Jackie's abilities. "My Heart Will Go On," "Reflection"--those are the kind of songs that people sing on karaoke night. They feel "kitschy" to me. It's been said that Jackie could sing the phonebook and make it sound good. But for me personally, songs like "My Heart Will Go On" aren't as good as the phonebook, because if she actually released an album of her singing the phonebook, it would at least be acknowledged as a ballsy (albeit bizarre) move.

I do like titles such as "When I Fall In Love." Like the title of the album implies, those kinds of songs evoke the romanticism of yesteryear. "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" Not so much.

Anyway, I got to thinking about what I personally would like from an album entitled "Songs from the Silver Screen." I came up with two ideas, both consistent with the aforementioned importance of: A) An album that feels cohesive and consistent as a whole. B) An album that's slightly bold in its choices to avoid being so mainstream vanilla, while still being beautiful and appealing.

Choice #1: Do actual songs from older movies that evoke that wistful sense of timeless Hollywood that "When I Fall In Love" does. And commit to it. Don't randomly insert a "Hakuna Matata" in there. Fight the urge. "A Whole New World?" Nada. And that goes double for the "Friends" theme song. It's okay to acknowledge the itch just as long as you don't scratch.

Choice #2: This one is a little more creative, and it's the idea that I like better.

Everyone loves "Lovers" from Dream with Me. As far as I know, that song comes from the orchestral score to a movie, but arranged with lyrics so that someone can sing it. House of Flying Daggers is a movie I'm guessing most people haven't seen, and that's a good thing, because then it doesn't feel like a cliché when Jackie performs it. The melody is also haunting and lovely regardless of the source material. I mean, when Jackie performs it, it sounds operatic. It sounds like that's the way it was always intended to be presented. No one cares that it doesn't have the instant brand name recognition of a Disney song, because it sounds so good. Yes, it's technically taken from a movie, but--at least for me--it doesn't seem "beneath" Jackie.

[Edit: And I forgot to add that when she performs "Mi Mancherai" in the Dream with Me concert, that too sounds fantastic. And as far as I know, that was not originally a song to be sung. Like with "Lovers," it was adapted from the score to the movie "Il Postino." See how much better such adaptations are compared to the latest song from "Tangled?"]

*That* is what a "movie music" album by Jackie should be filled with. Haunting melodies that sound darn near operatic when Jackie sings words to them ... and which also happen to be from movies (mainstream or not).

Off the top of my head I can think of a bunch of instrumental music themes that would be similarly provocative should someone arrange them for Jackie to sing.

1) The Life is Beautiful Theme
2) The main title theme from the little-seen movie "The Grass Harp" which is based on the book.
3) The Princess Mononoke "Journey to the West" theme.
4) The main theme to Born on the Fourth of July. Actually, this might be a mistake. Even though I think the end product would be haunting, the whole idea might seem too silly for people to accept. But regardless, this is the kind of source material I'm talking about.

I'm sure someone who is more familiar with movies (and their instrumental scores) than me could come up with even better ideas, stuff that's on par with "Lovers." Imagine a whole album of Lovers-caliber tracks.

[Edit: I wanted to expand on why I felt some titles for Silver Screen were "beneath" Jackie even though most of her catalog thus far has been made up of "covers." Even though I earlier said I'd like it best if Jackie did more original material, I am not opposed to her doing covers per se. I just feel that some of the songs for Silver Screen are way below titles such as "Angel," "O Mio Babbino Caro" or "Nella Fantasia." Even a Disney song like "When You Wish Upon a Star" would be preferrable to "Can You Feel the Love Tonight," since the former is a song that has that sense of timelessness and wistful longing and (to my knowledge) isn't covered all the time. It could be argued that When You Wish Upon a Star is almost daring and subversive by comparison.

However, songs like "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" and "My Heart Will Go On" are so populist (and corn syrupy) that they practically feel like elevator music to me. I'm guessing they were chosen to attract a young demographic, but I personally don't like that tack. By choosing songs that are so commonplace (and in my opinion, insipid) I think it runs the risk of both turning off those fans that enjoyed her early repertoire, but also negates the "edge" she had (a young person that could sing in the classical style better than anyone at any age) which was a big part of her universal appeal. (And that appeal extended to younger people--the demographic I'm assuming they were trying to court by including the "elevator music" songs. Honestly, would young people really flock to an artist simply because she covered a song that every other girl with a Youtube account has already uploaded themselves performing?)

Yes, the classical songs she covered were well-known. But that's relatively speaking. Something like Nessun Dorma is still a bit of a novelty for Joe-six-pack as compared to something like "My Heart Will Go On," which has the power to make mortal men run for the nearest window, it has saturated popular culture so much.

I'd also like to make it clear that I am not trying to bash Jackie here. I just wanted to explain my reasoning. (She's in good company, by the way. I've been disappointed at some point with the direction of just about every music artist or band I've ever followed, sometimes for reasons much more subtle than song selections.)]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 6:31:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2013 6:51:02 PM PST
@Ehkzu

I used the reply button because I have the greatest respect for you because of all you have done for Jackie. I am hoping you will agree with me, and then use your skills to make it happen.

The song I would most like to see Jackie sing is ... O, AMERICA!

This song begs for Jackie.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 6:36:38 AM PST
Lezleyboom

I would love to see Jackie land a roll in the upcoming Hobbit films. She could play an Elf Princess/Warrior/Songstress, or someother mystical being one might come across while roaming Middle Earth. Hopefully a character who could be in both the sequels.

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 2:40:28 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 5, 2013 2:55:00 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 1:05:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2013 1:07:58 PM PDT
Weaver says:
Who would like to hear Jackie sing this song, Canto Della Terra ?

I sure would, I think it would be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnURsP6xR6I

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2013 5:56:38 PM PDT
catmando says:
Oh no not more child singers spare me the agony! Here this is far better; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzP2lZwjlGg

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 8:28:45 PM PDT
Sliver says:
Would be kind of fun if the posters here could put together a imaginary DVD/CD of 12 songs that they think would create one of the greatest products ever produced.

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 9:03:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2013 9:04:40 PM PDT
Sliver says:
Weaver......I finally got around to give your suggestion of Canto Della Terra a listen.
Wonderful performance by both I thought. Enjoyed. Don't understand why there weren't more good comments about the little girl. Apparently over shadowed by the boy. Hope they both do well. Yes, Jackie could really do well with that song.

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 12:13:49 AM PDT
catmando says:
Here is another song from Sarah's Vienna concert that is seldom heard but it would be great for Jackie; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV3tJUiQsbs

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 2:23:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2013 4:48:14 AM PDT
Lezleyboom says:
Hi all,

I've posted this suggestion some time ago over at JEFC, but thought I'd offer it up to the Amazon crowd too as I think it'd be a great fit for Jackie for a whole list of reasons, which I'll go into later. But first, the song:

Fear Not This Night
http://youtu.be/xtpxNOe6vvc

"Fear Not This Night" is from the massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) "Guild Wars 2" (2012).
Produced and composed by Jeremy Soule (considered the John Williams of video game music), lyrics written by Ree Soesbee (game writer/designer), and performed by Asja Kadric (a relatively unknown singer from Serbia).

From the Guild Wars 2 website ( https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-fear-not-this-night-song-now-available/ ):
"Produced and composed by Jeremy Soule and performed by Asja, Fear Not This Night is a hauntingly beautiful song from the Guild Wars 2 Soundtrack.
An anthem of the enigmatic sylvari, Fear Not This Night is a song of hope sung by the mystical Pale Tree. Asja's soft yet soaring voice perfectly embodies the noble spirit of the sylvari, and the song is symbolic of your hero's journey to defend Tyria from the threat of the Elder Dragons."

First - IMO musically this is a really strong song, and has been very well popular among fans of the Guild Wars franchise and beyond to the wider gaming community.

Second - IMO vocally this song is a really good fit for Jackie's voice, with a fair amount of space for her style of interpretation and also her soaring highs, without being unnecessarily showy.

Third - IMO thematically/lyrically this song is a good fit for Jackie, with light and darkness, and an unconquered hope that doesn't turn a blind eye to the pain and sorrow of our world.

Fourth - Although not an original for Jackie (which would be ideal), to me it checks off what seems to be one of the primary concerns of the E Team in selecting songs. That is, it hasn't been covered by other CC artists. In fact, I'm not aware of anyone (at least signed artists) who has. That being said, there are quite a number of covers on YouTube, most notably Lara, Taylor and Malukah ( http://youtu.be/za1OSyPchbg ), musicians who are YouTube famous for covering game music (not unlike Lindsay Stirling the violinist), but this is really just confirmation that this is a popular and beloved song within the gaming community.

Fifth - By covering this song Jackie would gain access to a whole new demographic - gamers - i.e. 15-35 year-olds (mostly, though certainly not exclusively, male) with disposable cash.

Thoughts are welcome...

PS - IMO there is quite a lot of genuine creativity in the video game industry that goes largely unnoticed and without accolades in the wider community, despite the industry being bigger than both the movie and music industry. While there is generally a dearth of vocal songs (due to the nature of game soundtrack requirements), there are some gems that could be an untapped goldmine for CC artists. For example:
I Was Born For This - from Journey (composed by Austin Wintory and vocals by Lisbeth Scott) - http://youtu.be/2_wkJ377LzU
Breeze At Dawn - from Soul Calibur V (composed by Cris Velasco with co-composer Jillian Aversa on vocals)
Now We're Free - from Silent Hill: Book of Memories (composed by Daniel Licht, vocals by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn) [Jackie's drawn a picture inspired by one of the Silent Hills, so there's a connection there]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2013 2:41:57 AM PDT
Lezleyboom says:
With reference to my previous post above, how about Songs From The LCD Screen? :P

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 6:44:37 AM PDT
"My Immortal" by Evanescence might be a good song for Jackie.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2013 9:16:14 PM PDT
Lezleyboom says:
My Immortal is a good song for CC, and has recently been covered quite well by Toni Gibson on her new album... and I think therein lies its problem from Jackie, as it seems they are intent on choosing songs that haven't been overdone by other CC artists.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2013 11:51:03 PM PDT
catmando says:
Yes that's why Team E has reached out to at least two songwriters. They want new material and I certainly agree with that course of action.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2013 11:53:06 PM PDT
catmando says:
Yes I have to say I was overly harsh on her.

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 7:55:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 19, 2014 10:16:44 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  Aug 16, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

This discussion is about
Songs From The Silver Screen
Songs From The Silver Screen by Jackie Evancho (Audio CD - 2012)
4.7 out of 5 stars (649)