Customer Reviews: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed PlayStation 3
Amazon Vehicles 4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 $25 Back with $50 Purchase Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon Save on select ClickTight convertible car seats

Format: Video Game|Change

on November 30, 2012
I didn't expect much from this game. The last Sonic Racing title was fairly clunky, with a frame rate that chugged regularly. The items were weird and confusing and it just didn't feel right. I find this to be true, generally, about any non-Mario karting game... But I buy most of them anyway, such as ModNation Racers (which I love despite the load times).

Reviews kept coming in for this game, though, that made me suck it up and pay the $40. I kept reading that it was the best kart racing game in years, that the frame rate was solid, that it felt right. And with some apprehension, I bought it for PS3.

It's worth the money. It is one of the best kart racing games in years, arguably ever. I don't think it knocks the best of the Mario Karts off of their pinnacle (for what it's worth, I loved Double Dash and MK Wii, but didn't care for MK7), but it's easily in the same league. Unlike Mario Kart, it has a LOT to do as well. There's plenty to unlock, the career mode is robust, the game is challenging without feeling cheap and the online functionality is solid (I had no problem finding matches). Doing well as a character unlocks "mods" that adjust the kart's stats, so there's a good amount of replayability.

The SEGA fan service is wonderful too. Ristar holds the flag starting off the race, all of the tracks feature little touches. The transforming concept is put to great use and it's far more successfully realized than Mario Kart 7 (which doesn't come close). The first time you run the After Burner track, drive off a battleship and transform into a plane while jets are dogfighting all around you... Man. It's just awesome.

I'm sure many people have mixed feelings on DLC, but I generally welcome it for kart games. If you get the Bonus pack, you'll get the Outrun track and Metal Sonic to race with, both of which are great. I'm looking forward to maybe seeing more of these, if they're cheap enough. One of the biggest downers with Mario Kart was always that they'd generally release one game per system... DLC tracks can easily make up for that lull. It'd be awesome to see some more obscure ones, maybe Wonder Boy?

All in all, this is a GREAT game and completely worth the $40.
on November 24, 2012
This is not hyperbole. I have played every kart racer ever made. Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed is the best kart racer ever. This game has the best graphics, the tightest controls, and a sense of speed this genre has never seen. The transform dynamic really enhances the game-play. This game deserves a 10 out of 10.
on December 27, 2013
This is sold as a "Bonus" edition with an extra track and racer, but it comes with a code you must redeem online, and the code expired on 11/30/2013. So you are buying a "Bonus" edition, but only getting a standard edition. The outside packaging even says it comes with a bonus track and racer, but it does not mention any expiration date to that claim.
on November 19, 2013
Why is it Sonic? I don't know. Do you care? I don't. It's a racing game. It's nuts. Everything's happening. Danica Patrick? Booming sounds. Power ups. Now you're a boat! Now you're a plane!

Do you remember going to the arcade and seeing a kind of off-beat racing game, throwing a quarter in and having your mind blown with sounds and colors? That's really what this game is. It can be compared to the likes of Mario Kart, and while there are similarities this is a unique game all it's own. My biggest gripe is that unlocking all the maps, characters, and so on will take a lot of single-player action, so you run the risk of turning into "that person" who plays a lot on their own and just always has an edge on your friends when they come over the play.
on October 5, 2014
Fun game that the kids and I can play together, offers 4 player local co-op, which is something game companies seem to be shying away from. There is a good selection of vehicles/characters and even for younger players they should be able to progress a bit as it will let you skip some levels after a certain number of failed attempts. I do find that getting enough stars to unlock some characters is a bit tough, if my kids were playing by themselves, I don't know that they would be able to do it. The courses are also somewhat limited, thus four out of five stars.
on January 16, 2016
Firstly, I like to often give as positive as a review as possible... so the 3 star rating I've given this game is mainly for the enjoyment of the game.

I got the product in 2 days (via Prime), just as advertised, but had to wait a couple of days before the product even shipped; all in all, taking a couple days longer than expected. Also, while this product is advertised as being the "Bonus Edition", it is not... or at least it isn't if your seller is
"Isomergames": that was the "default" / top seller at the time I ordered my copy. Suffice to say, my nephews were a little disappointed that they didn't get the Bonus Edition for Christmas (which includes an not only an additional character / driver, but also an addition track... along with some
other "goodies"). So... as for the game itself, it seems like it'd be fun to play (watching my nephews play it), but don't get your hopes up about receiving the Bonus Edition, because you might not.
on October 7, 2013
the driving mechanics aren't quite as tight as the first but still solid. the diversity and complexity of the tracks is much improved in no small part to having different vehicles to accommodate the various track conditions that sometimes change between each lap. the biggest complaint i would have is with the AI being overly aggressive on higher difficulties. in other kart racers your opponents were just as likely to fight amongst themselves as they were to target you but here they go out of their way to avoid hitting other AIs to hit you instead which at times can lead to being stunlocked as each car passes you.
on December 30, 2015
Bought this because I was in search of a Mario Kart-like equivalent for PS3, played a demo on PSN and found it to be a lot of fun. I've only played it a couple times so far, but the full game itself delivers nicely. It reminds me a lot of Diddy Kong Racing for N64, where for instance, you start out with a regular go-kart and it transitions into another different type of vehicle, like a jet or speedboat. In addition, the entire course will change it's landscape. I found this to be a neat surprise as no one race ended up being exactly the same from lap to lap.

Overall, Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed is fun, simple for the casual gamer (like myself), and with enough depth to keep serious gamers busy.
on September 19, 2016
Bought my copy from "I Got Kidz 2 Feed" and it was in perfect condition, listed as very good by the seller.

I really like this game. It's light-hearted in contrast to the other games dominated in PS3. Reminds me a lot of Wii's Mario Cart. There's a lot of fun challenges to play in different levels, so there's a lot to do even in just one course.
on October 22, 2016
This is a fun game for any age. Very similar to Mario Cart, but on a PS3. Note that there are a coule of timed trials that are tough to get through, but if you try enough times, then the game gives you the option of skipping them. Whew!