Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Monster forum

Sonic Boom better

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 4, 2012, 10:17:15 AM PDT
Sonic Boom was much much better. You here once a while some cracking with the guitars. The bass is sounding very bad. It looks like a distortion is on the bass. For great melody rock song you must get Sonic Boom. I think the production is very bad. Best songs are from Eric and Tommy.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012, 7:50:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2012, 11:39:44 AM PDT
MRT says:
Hell Or Hallelujah - 10/10
Wall Of Sound - 8/10
Freak - 9/10
Back To The Stone Age - 9/10
Shout Mercy - 9/10
Long Way Down - 8/10
Eat Your Heart Out - 8/10
The Devil Is Me - 8/10
Outta This World - 7/10
All For The Love Of R&R - 8/10
Take Me Down Below - 8/10
Last Chance - 8/10\
ITunes bonus Right Here Right Now - 8/10

Posted on Oct 5, 2012, 10:39:51 AM PDT
Bernie says:
I agree that SB is a better album than Monster. There is no filler on SB, while Monster is not nearly consistent. Despite its great intro, "Back To The Stone Age" may be the dumbest track Gene has recorded since the crap on HITS.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012, 9:35:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2012, 9:36:18 AM PDT
JMarino says:
No filler on SB? All of Paul's songs except for MDD sound like Bon Jovi B-sides from 1987. MONSTER slaps SB around.

Are you sure you guys aren't still playing RATT albums as if they're current?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012, 9:42:14 AM PDT
Bernie says:
ANAP: Helpful votes received on reviews: 36% (81 of 222)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012, 1:40:03 PM PDT
The songs don't stay in your head. All songs from SB are great melody rock songs. That is what KISS is all about. Great Rock songs that you can sing. On Monster it much harder to sing with these songs.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012, 1:44:42 PM PDT
Bernie says:
Well-stated, RVDB.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012, 11:58:15 AM PDT
PressFocus says:
RVDB, I feel that MONSTER is more consistent than SB. I like the heavier sound overall. To me, it's like a heavier, modern update of what KISS did on ROCK & ROLL OVER. Here's my song-by-song comparison:

MDD > HOH
Russian Roulette = Wall of Sound
Never Enough < Freak
Yes I Know (Nobody's Perfect) > Back to the Stone Age
Stand = Shout Mercy
Hot & Cold <<< Long Way Down
AFTG << AFTLORAR
Danger US << Eat Your Heart Out
I'm An Animal < The Devil is Me
When Lightning Strikes << Outta This World
Say Yeah > Last Chance
Since there's nothing on SB to compare it to, I'll say that Take Me Down Below is a "B" song for me.

No skips on MONSTER for me. After a while, only five track on Sonic Boom were keepers.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012, 4:39:31 PM PDT
Spikor says:
Sonic Boom was a bit better than this. Monster is boring background music, it only sounds like Kiss because Paul Stanley is singing the songs. i'd dump it, but i have everything else already. I think Asylum and Hot in the Shade are better than this pos. ha !

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012, 7:35:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2012, 7:37:26 PM PDT
JMB987 says:
Agree. "Back To The Stone Age" has a great beginning and then it veers into lazy dumb ass lyric writing. As for "Monster" being better than SB,i think so but not by much. SB had it's moments. An enjoyable listen.

Posted on Oct 13, 2012, 11:40:30 AM PDT
MRT says:
I like Monster a little better.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012, 11:45:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2012, 11:56:05 AM PDT
J. A. Mucera says:
I don't think it's the dumbest, but the track is probably the weakest of the 12 off "Monster" ! I like the album alot! For me, Back To The Stone Age pokes some fun at where aging rockers come from compared to today. I think it's always been thought of like this throughout rock & roll history/etc..! It's like someone from today going "Hey! Where did this music come from/oh' yeah dinosaur classic rock"! Not phased by this because I grew up with the classic groundbreakers of hard & heavy rock & roll! Again BTTSA./songs like these are those that either grow on ya after a few listens or just don't have that groove you can really get into! I've been a huge KISS fan since 1977 and for me their weakest material as what defines real KISS music was "Hot in The Shade" minus Hide Your Hear & Forever which were excellent tracks inmop! Overall, "Monster" is definitely a more raw/agressive/harder-edge version of Sonic Boom! Both great listens worth getting!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012, 11:47:46 AM PDT
J. A. Mucera says:
Descent comparison!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012, 11:59:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2012, 3:42:48 PM PDT
JMB987 says:
Yeah,i get what Genes saying on this track,and the message is cool.But after such a strong start i think it falters and despite what he's trying to get across it sounds to cartoony to me.

BTW-fan of Kiss and rock in general here since 1975 so i do appreciate what the songs saying.

UPDATE-Liking this song a lot better now.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012, 7:44:11 PM PST
Bela says:
I have been a fan since day one. I was teased and laughed at and years later everybody listened to KISS. but then Sonic Boom and
again I was laughed at how bad it was but I really liked it and defended them. I can't defend Monster. I can say for the first time
I am shocked it's not very good. The songwriter is ????? it's not KISS, classic rock, metal 80's I don't what it is...even Carnival of
Souls I thought was damn good but other than Wall of Sound which is one of the best KISS anthems ever I don't hear nothing else.
Hell or ....is just 80's rehash sounding but it's not as bad as the other songs and love of rock n roll is embarrassing to even listen too!
mr. speed riff sounding like The Boss! wow bad....this is the kind of song Peter would've brought in and Paul would've laughed at!
where is makin' love? love gun? strutter? psycho circus? DRC? I think Paul pushed the producer thing too far this time...the band
plays great Tommy's guitar playing is more original this time and he smokes! but I've tried to listen to this over and over and I
can't get into most of this album. I like Gene's songs more but I don't think they are nothing great. It's hard for me to admit but
I actually don't like a KISS album and probably won't listen to it much except for Wall of Sound. Sorry guys!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012, 7:47:53 PM PST
Bela says:
hot in the shade rocks compared to this! what are you hearing? there's nothing that compares to Rise To It
on monster! Wall of Sound is the only KISS anthem on the entire album and Paul's songs are really not good.
Sonic Boom was a masterpiece compared to this!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012, 5:04:59 AM PST
Bernie says:
I agree w/ Bela. There is next to nothing on Monster that really draws the listener in. It's a boring album.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Monster forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Oct 4, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Monster
Monster by Kiss (Audio CD - 2012)
4.0 out of 5 stars (432)