Other Sellers on Amazon
DVD | Box Set
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
Features: The Critically Acclaimed 8 episode series Plus, 10 extended interviews & More than 150 minutes of never before seen footage, inside the recording of Sonic Highways.
Sonic Highways is an American TV documentary series created for HBO by Dave Grohl. The documentary was made concurrently with Foo Fighters' eighth album, Sonic Highways. Grohl described the project as "a love letter to the history of American music". The series debuted on October 17, 2014 and ran through December 4, 2014. The series had 8 episodes] Each episode features interviews with artists who recorded at the respective studios. Among them are Dolly Parton, Ian MacKaye of Minor Threat and Fugazi, Paul Stanley of Kiss, Joe Walsh of Eagles, Nancy Wilson of Heart, Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick, Zac Brown, and Gary Clark, Jr. There was also collaboration with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band in New Orleans, which led to a live performance with Trombone Shorty. The episode begins with a quote from a song that was recorded in their respective location and ends with a music video for that same song with animated lyrics appearing in the background.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Starting in Chicago...stopping along the way in Washington D.C. (Not far from Grohl's childhood home in Virginia), Nashville, Austin, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Seattle and NYC. Each song included a musical artist from the region of Grohl's choosing. The result is a very different, versatile Foo Fighters album! In my opinion, this task is something no other band would undertake. Grohl is an inspiration. He finally comes to terms, at least on camera with the death of Kurt Cobain. He has come a long way from being just the drummer of "Nirvana".
I purchased the blu ray set and the quality is perfect. There is a bonus 3 hours of extended interviews and never before seen footage on both DVD and blu ray editions. 8 songs, 8 studios, 8 cities, 8 episodes! Pure magic!
I have recorded my music. Not on the same echelon as the Foo Fighters but I understand what they are trying to do. There is so much more involved when you listen back to something that contains history for you. I have felt that with my own recordings and I am priveleged to say that I have experienced that insight with " Sonic Highways" as well. Thanks Dave.
In thier approach, Dave Grohl strategically picks studios in those cities, as well as people to interview. He interviews people who are part of the local music scene in that city, as well as famous musicians that came from those cities. Additionally, he selects one of those musicians to record with them in most of their songs. Although this documentary series is about the Foo Fighters recording thier next album, that only takes up about 25% of each episode. The other (roughly) 75% Dave Grohl focuses on the music scenes that developed in those cities and how the cities were changed because of it, & who was involved in making it happen and the big names that were spawn from there as a result.
This is an amazing series, filled with so much interesting music information. It is well worth the money and I highly recommend it.