Truck Season Automotive HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on December 6, 2014
While it generally works well, there are a couple of extremely serious gotcha's to beware of --

First, under no circumstances should you try to connect 2 of these things to a single computer. I did that for a video editing project (connecting a 15" 2012 Macbook Pro to 2 Firmtek eSATA housings with SSDs) and somehow it started scrambling video files between the two sets of drives. It's painful to recall the incredible sinking feeling I got when I saw it inexplicably destroying huge video files I had been working on for a week. It took two days to recover and rebuild that project -- and these days who has 2 extra days to spare on a video editing project?

Second, it has the problem of all ExpressCard slots in that it just can't hold onto the ExpressCard. Move the box while it is connected with those not-very-flexible eSATA cables and it is extremely likely to disconnect.

So it fills a need and normally it works fine, but use it carefully.
2 people found this helpful
on April 6, 2017
I had to get this when my 17" MacBook Pro went out of style. Love it.
on September 11, 2012
I've bought two of these and they just work. The only complaint I have is that the ExpressCard connection doesn't really snap into place or anything. So, its easy for it to just slide out.
5 people found this helpful
on April 9, 2013
Allows to add USB3*, eSata and firewire express cards to macbooks limited to thunderbolt expansion capabilities.

For firewire expansion, the apple thunderbolt to firewire is a cheaper and more practical option.

* For USB 3.0 to work you need an ExpressCard with Fresco Logic FL1100 or FL1009 controller and OS X 10.8.2 minimum

I bought my USB3 card in Amazon: "4 Port USB 3.0 HUB to ExpressCard Express Card 34 34mm Adapter Converter 5.0Gbps FL1100 Chipset". I'm using it with the Sonnet Echo Pro, a Macbook 2011 13" and OS X 10.8.5
4 people found this helpful
on February 19, 2013
This adapter worked flawless with my MacBookPro allowing me to use some much missed features not otherwise possible. No drivers, no install, just plug insert the expresscard and GO!
3 people found this helpful
on August 21, 2014
Fast but tends to have to slow down for the other non-Thunderbolt drives
on August 7, 2012
I have a Mac Mini 2.3GHz i5 running OS X Lion Server. I wanted to use Thunderbolt instead of the Firewire 800 port for my 4TB RAID 5 Array. I bought this along with the Sonnet Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard /34 thinking it would work with my OWC Mercury Rack Pro (the older model with 4 drive trays, eSATA, Firewire 800, USB 2.0 and built-in RAID controller with port multiplier). But sorry to say, it doesn't do what I had expected it to. RAID doesn't mount on the Desktop with this configuration. When I reconnected my Firewire 800 cable, the RAID came back up.

Prior to purchase, I didn't find any information online whether it was supported it or not, though other eSATA RAIDs from OWC were compatible. So I figured I would give it a try. Well now I know. And hopefully others will learn from my mistake and save some money.
3 people found this helpful
|44 comments|Report abuse
on January 9, 2014
Works well but there are lots of drivers to download depending on what type of media you are using. My expressard to CF adaptor works seemlesly / after the download. But my SxS cards apparently need another download. Anyway, it works as promises.
on May 10, 2015
Never got it to connect to my Mac.--no matter what update I ran the reader would not show up.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on August 14, 2013
Purchased the Sonnet Echo Pro EC Thunderbolt adapter along with the Lexar Professional express card to use on my 15" MacBook Pro (8,2). The Lexar card had a sticker on the card itself telling me where to go to get the driver...but the Sonnet did not. I had to go to their site and find it. After about five mins I found the driver I needed. After installing both drivers and a re-boot the system worked great. I gave it a test transferring 451 RAW image files that totaled 7.16Gb to my SSD drive on the mac. It transferred it lighting fast taking only 76 seconds...yep copied 7.16gig's over to my SSD in 76 seconds.

The only reason I only gave it four stars is because I had to hunt for the driver for the sonnet and the whole setup is a bit costly...but for submitting images between quarters or at half time it is well worth it in my book.
One person found this helpful