Top positive review
4 people found this helpful
Excellent macro lens for Sony Alpha bodies either FF or APS-C - brilliantly sharp, but somewhat noisy motor
on November 5, 2014
This is an exceptionally sharp lens, and gives a very nice 100 mm on FF or 150 mm perspective on an APS-C sensor body like the Sony A 77/77II.
In terms of image quality it's mostly a five star lens, particularly if you stop down just a little bit to F4, but I'm giving it four stars because of its hunting and noisy motor (see cons). Call me picky or just spoiled by the newer lenses, like Sony's terrific 16-50 2.8.
1) Extremely sharp, quite sharp wide open, but once you get to F4-F8 it's tack sharp across the whole frame.
2) Can get extremely close so that you have 1:1 magnification with huge details, amplified by the great sharpness, and color.
3) Reasonable value, and can be picked up used for $550 or so.
4) Most Sony alpha bodies have correction profiles and can be micro-adjusted terms of autofocus, although mine seems to be extremely accurate without any micro-AF adjustment.
1) Very noisy older motor - why can't Sony replace the older motors in their legacy Minolta designs with newer SSM motors?
2) Hunting back and forth looking for autofocus lock, particularly when you have gone from close-up macro to distance work, such that you sometimes have to use the focus limiting feature either on the lens, or on the body, if you want to keep the focus-hunting to a reasonable minimum.
3) Still hunts even with focus limiting.