Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens" and save 7% off the $2,723.89 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- G Master design combines extraordinary sharpness and smooth bokeh, Constant F2.8 max aperture maintains exposure and depth of field.Weight 1480 g (without tripod mount)
- Class-leading min. focus distance of 37.8” / 0.25x max. mag, Dual floating focus system for high AF speed and precision, XA, ED/Super ED elements and Nano AR Coating for superb resolution
- Aspherical elements & 11-blade circular aperture for gorgeous bokeh, Min. focus breathing and par focal design ideal for video, Direct coupled mechanical focus system for precise manual focus
- Contestant lens length during focusing and zooming, High performance Optical Steady Shot Image stabilization, Dust and moisture resistant for robust reliability
- Nano AR coating suppress reflections, flare and ghosting, XA (extreme aspherical) element with 0.01 micron surface precision
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Special offers and product promotions
From the manufacturer
Sony 70-200mm F2.8 fixed zoom G Master lens
An incomparable constant aperture F2.8 70-200 mm telephoto zoom with extraordinary G Master resolution that offers unsurpassed rendering and bokeh, blazing AF, and extraordinary image stabilization performance
Extraordinary detail and bokeh in one lens
G Master design combines extraordinary sharpness and smooth Bokeh in one lens. It is not easy to achieve spatial frequency of 50 lines pairs per millimeter at a lens's widest aperture and produce smooth beautiful bokeh at the same time, but that is Sony's baseline for G Master design. Unprecedented resolution and other demanding design parameters yield outstanding reproduction of the most detailed subjects and scenes with superior contrast throughout every frame. G Master resolution is simply the highest in its class.
11-blade circular aperture for luscious bokeh
When changing your aperture to defocus the background, the light sources appear blurred. This ‘bokeh’ effect of the blurred background can be enhanced with circular aperture blades used in this lens. Conventional aperture blades have flat sides creating unappealing, polygonal shaped defocussed points of light. α lenses overcome this problem through a unique design that keeps the aperture almost perfectly circular from its wide-open setting to when it is closed by 2 stops. Smoother, more natural defocusing can be obtained as a result.
Class-leading close-up performance
Class-leading close-up performance with a minimum focusing distance of 37.8” and 0.25x maximum magnification is ideal for portraits, telephoto macro, and more. Contributing refinements include ED glass elements and a floating focus mechanism to control aberration that can be problematic in close-up applications.
Dust and moisture resistant for robust reliability
Sony’s standard lens sealing is augmented by a lens mount seal that maximizes resistance to dust and moisture for reliable operation in challenging environmental conditions.* Additional details like rubberized rings that are easy to operate in low temperatures, a zoom lock that prevents unwanted lens extension during transport, and a hood lock button, all add up to professional control and convenience.
When making movies you’re frequently focusing while shooting, either with autofocus or manual focus. A lens that has not been designed with movies in mind might exhibit “breathing”, or variations in the angle of view while focusing which can be a jarring distraction. The SEL70200GM features an optical design and control technology inherited from Sony’s professional camcorders that ensure minimal focus breathing.
Fast AF optimized for stills and video
Two heavy focus groups are rapidly and precisely positioned by separate actuators: a powerful ring SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor) actuator for the front group, and a double linear motor actuator for the rear group. Improved positioning precision works with real-time feedback from multiple position sensors to allow the body’s AF system to operate at full capacity.
Parfocal design ideal for video
Zooming is a fundamental moviemaking technique that is used for both practical framing changes as well as creative effect. Parfocal means the SEL70200GM holds focus on a subject even when zooming in or out.
High performance Optical SteadyShot Image stabilization
High-performance image stabilization is built right into the lens for sharp, blur-free images with a wide range of subjects. The heavy stabilization lens is driven by a linear motor for fast, precise stabilization. 5-axis image stabilization becomes available when used with α series bodies that feature built-in image stabilization. To provide the greatest possible benefit from the built-in image stabilization system in the widest range of shooting situations, the features switchable MODE 2 stabilization allows image stabilization to be used with panned shots for greater clarity and impact.
Constant lens length during focusing and zooming
With the new design of the SEL70200GM, the overall length of the lens does not change and the lens is able to achieve shorter minimum focusing distance. The filter thread at the front of the lens does not rotate, which is convenient if you’re using a polarizing filter
ED and Super ED glass reduces flare and ghosting
ED (Extra-low Dispersion) and Super ED glass elements take axial chromatic aberration and chromatic aberration due to differences in magnification out of the picture, maximizing resolution and bokeh while leaving precisely rendered edges with no fringing or unnatural coloration.
Outstanding clarity and contrast
Sony’s original Nano AR Coating technology minimizes flare and ghosting, for dynamic range that achieves lifelike detail and gradation with advanced camera sensors. This precisely defined regular nano-structure allows accurate light transmission, contributing to high-quality images, even more so than with lenses that use coatings with an irregular nano-structure. The reflection suppression characteristic of the Nano AR Coating is superior to conventional anti-reflective coatings, providing a notable improvement in clarity, contrast, and overall image quality.
2016 Sony Electronics Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. Sony is not responsible for typographical and photographic errors. Features and specifications are subject to change without notice.
* Although the design is dust and moisture resistant, absolute protection from dust and moisture is not guaranteed.
** Refer to the SEL14TC / SEL20TC (sold separately). At the time of release these teleconverters are only compatible with the SEL70200GM.
|Compatible Mountings||Sony FE|
|Included Components||Hood (ALC-SH145), Lens front cap (ALC-F77S), Lens rear cap (ALC-R1EM), Case, Tripod mount, warranty|
|Item Dimensions||5.67 x 5.47 x 11.93 inches|
|Item Weight||4.91 pounds|
|Lens Design||Fixed Zoom|
|Manufacturer Warranty Description||1 Year|
|Maximum Focal Length||200|
|Maximum Format Size||APS-C|
|Minimum Focal Length||70|
|Number of Elements||23|
|Number of Groups||18|
|Shipping Weight||4.95 pounds|
An incomparable constant aperture F2.8 70-200 mm telephoto zoom with extraordinary G Master resolution that offers unsurpassed rendering and bokeh, blazing AF, and extraordinary image stabilization performance.
Top customer reviews
It is as sharp. and actually goes all the way to 200mm. needless to say I've sold my Canon 70-200.
That is the comparison between canon and sony. Canon lens was adapted using Metabones 4
Micro complaints I have -
Image Stabilization - This lens negates internal image stabilization of the A7sii. It grays the option out and says "not compatible with this lens". Of course I can enable IS on the lens body but I find it is only barely good enough to remove micro shakes and heartbeats. I wish the IS would stack. I haven't tested it with the 2.0x teleconverter either.
Lens cap - The default lens cap they provide you with can be a difficult fit some times. I wish it would have a felt coating on the inside so you dont endanger scratching your lens when capping.
Flower Pedal hood - has a felt inside, which I'm not sure why? It can get dirty and pick up hairs and dust quite easily.
E mount - The lens has a little bit of give, perhaps because of the weight, but when I rotate the barrel while attached to the camera, a small internal wobble can be felt. I wish it was stable like a PL mount.
Here are the exceptional qualities of this lens based on my short experience with it so far:
- At its best, it is as sharp as the 55mm f1.8 Zeiss prime lens, and it stays very sharp throughout the focus range. By far the sharpest zoom lens I've ever used. I can pixel peep all day at the RAW images this lens produces with the A7RII and find excellent detail and sharp lines everywhere I look (so long as I didn't fudge the focus). It's a croppers dream lens.
- Very nice round bokeh - not ultra creamy smooth, but definitely not noisy or jittery.
- Balances well on the A7RII. It feels much better than my previous setup. No fear holding it up by the camera body.
- Focuses 2-3x quicker than the Canon/Metabones setup. No flakey focus hunting either.
- It makes beautiful photos. Excellent IQ.
- Image stabilization for me has been beautiful. It doesn't feel as jerky as some of my other lenses, and is definitely much better than the Metabones/Canon lens setup.
- Construction is solid. The buttons and switches feel good and are positioned well. The hood locks into place and feels like it can take a beating.
- Constant focus distance is very nice when zooming in on your subject.
And here are some nits - nothing worth knocking off a star for:
- Some light fringing and chromatic aberration in very high-contrast scenes when shooting RAW, easy to fix post processing.
- The zoom ring is just a tiny bit too tight for my use, making it a difficult to turn with 2 fingers. Zooming while taking video without a mount isn't pretty. I'm hoping the ring loosens up after some use, though I don't have to worry at all about lens creep.
- I do wish the tripod mount was a bit larger. I'm used to the big tripod mounts on Canon zoom lenses, which make those lenses more comfortable hand-held, and more comfortable as a carry handle. I may look for a foam handle in the future.
- For it's size, it is a heavy lens. That's a lot of glass to stuff in that small body.
The price is a noticeable difference between the two, and so is the weight! I thought the previous 70-200 was hefty at nearly 2lb but this new one is more on its own than most of my lenses & camera body combined.
If you can afford it, it's definitely worth it (but the G OSS is still a great lens and lighter to lug around...).
My only complaint would be the amazon packaging - it's a good thing Sony packs it well (it even has it's own soft sided bag!) because amazon basically threw the Sony box in a shipping box and added some tissue paper on one side. Not sure what that tissue paper was going to do to keep it safe, but ok. (I've had paper towels shipped with more care than this lens) So buy it with the warranty!
Most recent customer reviews
Wanting to save money on taxes I purchased this lens from Focus Camera.Read more
Its like having prime lenses all the way from 70-200. The only Con is its weight (both physically and financially) but if you can deal with that there...Read more