Industrial Deals Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Sony NEX Mount Adaptor with Translucent Mirror Technology

on January 24, 2013
I had been using Sony LA-EA1 adapter to use my A-mount lenses on NEX. It worked well especially since I prefer to use manual focus. However, a couple of my A-mount lenses that could be used on NEX weren’t very friendly due to their tight focus gearing (“High Speed AF”). So I ventured into LA-EA2 territory.

The adapter itself is built well, like the LA-EA1. It is bulkier, and slightly heavier. And of course, it uses SLT, so addition-caution is necessary. I like that the tripod mount is integrated into the adapter as opposed to a screw-on type on LA-EA1. The extra bulk at the bottom can come in handy to some (as it does to me), to support longer/heavier lenses.

Since one of the features LA-EA2 comes with is “AF Micro Adjust”, it got used right away. Next was to see if the LA-EA2 lives up to its price and claims. In short, it did. Key findings are as follows:
1-LA-EA2 transforms NEX into SLTs. Consequently, the AF speed is excellent. The 15-point (3-cross type) PDAF system, similar to the set up in my SLT-A55, takes over.
2-If the lens optically stabilized (as is the case with my A-mount travel zoom, Sigma 18-250 HSM OS), the NEX benefits from the OS. So, Sigma, if you’re reading this, keep the OS going for A-mount lenses and you may expand your customer base.
3-LA-EA2 supports AF for Screw-drive lenses.
4-Focus Peaking works, in manual focus mode.
5-If DMF mode is set, focus peaking still shows up when auto focusing (AF-S). A key advantage to this is that while PDAF AF points will be used to focus, the focus peaking feature also highlights areas that are in focus.
6-In AF-C mode, focus peak “assist” is unavailable.

Overall focusing speed is as fast as one can expect. I tested the adapter with Minolta 200/2.8 G APO HS on my NEX-3, and my blazingly fast dog on her maiden visit to a dog park. The only limitations were with shutter lag on NEX-3, and the dog being too fast for the shallow DOF from that beautiful lens.
11 helpful votes
12 helpful votes
44 comments|Report abuse
on June 19, 2013
Being able to fine-tune the auto-focus on my collection of A-mount Minolta and Sony lenses has been helpful. It wasn't until the auto-focus on my lenses (ranging in age from 2 to 27 years old) were micro-adjusted on the la-ea2 and NEX 5N that it became obvious how much the focus on these lenses had been out of spec when mounted on my Sony dslr.

It's like having a completely new camera system, with lenses that focus properly, in short order.

For those who are fond of the characteristics of many of the older Minolta AF lenses, it is now possible to use all of them in a compact body like the NEX 5N. Even though there are a number of posts indicating that the auto-focus on older Minolta A-mount AF lenses can be a problem, I may purchase additional low-cost used Minolta A-mount lenses that I've wanted since there is now more confidence that the auto-focus on them can be adjusted to work properly on the la-ea2. Those that just won't focus properly in the la-ea2 can always be returned.

The cost of the la-ea2, when compared to the cost of a separate lens collection for Sony's NEX camera, can be a cost-effective alternative.
on March 3, 2013
I made the mistake of asking for a lens for Christmas to fit my Nex camera. It was the only lens that zoomed to 300. But, even though an alpha lens, didn't fit without an adapter. I was outraged at Sony's price, which was more than the lens cost, and almost as much as the camera cost. amazon's price was considerably better, but still very costly. I tried the cheap converters first, but it was virtually impossible to manual focus a long 300 zoom lens on the tiny Nex body. I finally broke down and got this one, and it does work perfectly. Unfortunately, for Nex owners, it is currently the only way to be able to use the very long range lenses--and the tripod mount is a must--even just to hand steady it. I have taken hand held pics with it fully zoomed, and it works great. If you had to try to manual focus, it would be a nightmare.
on November 23, 2013
After having this adapter for a while, I am updating my review and bumping it up to 5 stars.

Yes it has limitations, mainly related to the limitations of the lenses it is designed to support (screw drive is noisy so I wouldn't use it for video).

However, it opens up a whole new world of high quality (and often cheap) Minolta and Sony glass, provides fast and accurate AF in good light (it struggles a bit in really dim light but I suspect it's the old Minolta lenses rather than the adapter).

I use it with Minolta 35-70/4 Macro (a very sharp lens, and very small for a zoom); Minolta 70-210/4 Macro "the Beercan"; and Minolta 50/1.7. All of these lenses provide absolutely outstanding IQ while cost the fraction of new E mount equivalent (I paid $20 to $100 for them). And other the rather large and heavy Beercan, the 35-70 and 50 are small, even combined with adapter.
--------
Fast, accurate, reliable. But sucks battery. DMF is not available with all lenses, seems to be lens specific per internet info. Overall, does what it says.
on February 26, 2012
Since I purchased this adapter I basically haven't taken it off my Nex-5n. Loss of light due to the transparent mirror is very minor, hardly noticeable at all. And having the choice of using very fast Alpha lens actually make it out perform native E-mount lens in low light. But the single reason it hasn't come off my camera is AF speed and accuracy. AF speed is at least 50% if not 100% faster and AF accuracy is easily 200%-300% better then CDAF.
8 helpful votes
9 helpful votes
on July 17, 2013
This adapter works great on the NEX-5N and the NEX-6, its a bit slow on the focusing and a split second lag after pressing the shutter button. It works and I dont really have any complaints. Updates to firmware went flawless.
on March 2, 2013
my only complaint about this adaptor is that when i'm trying to slide my fs100 onto a tripod head, I have to remove the lens and adaptor since it blocks the plate from the mount because the adaptor's dimension is a big on the bigger side.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on December 29, 2013
This adaptor gives you full function, including auto focus, with any Sony DSLR Lens ( and Minolta Maxium lens ). Iusually have my 18 to 200mm Sony lens on my Nex 3 with this as a walk around lens that will shoot almost anything and is more compact and light weight than a full sized DLSR like my Sony A700. That matters when you walk around for hours taking shots.
on November 1, 2012
Sony LA-EA 2 Adapter for NEX 7. Great Product works with 8pin Contact & 5 Pin Contact older Minolta & Newer Sony ALPHA Lenses. Feels good Balanced when mounted on Camera

DOES NOT HAVE AUTO FOCUS ASSIST FOR VERY LOW LIGHT FOCUSING. Wont focus unless a small LED light is on the Subject Or any thing.

I think this function will work with all E LENSES. [...]
on June 5, 2013
The adaptor is an excellent accessory for the NEX 6 if you own A-mount lenses. All of my lenses perform well, and the autofocus is flawless with my zoom and fixed aperature lenses. I will probably buy additional e-mount lenses, but this item allows full utilization of
my lenses used with my Sony A100.